• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2009 Norton Insight

I am running NIS 2009 on a Windows 7 RTM laptop.

When I run Norton Insight, it shows 10% Trusted and 90% scan needed.

Every time I have used this program, the stats were reversed (on Vista machines) - 90% Trusted and 10 % scan needed.

Is this because the Windows 7 files have not been loaded into the Norton Insight server database?

If so, this should be done, since my scan times will be much longer than they would be otherwise. Windows 7 RTM is a production operating system, not a beta, and should be treated as such.

ASUS Intel i7 desktop 16 GB RAM, 2 GB discrete Video RAM, 1 TB HDD, 180 GB Corsair Force 3 SSD, Windows 8.1 Preview, NIS 2013 and NIS Beta for Windows 8.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 Norton Insight

I am running NIS 2009 on a Windows 7 RTM laptop.

When I run Norton Insight, it shows 10% Trusted and 90% scan needed.

Every time I have used this program, the stats were reversed (on Vista machines) - 90% Trusted and 10 % scan needed.

Is this because the Windows 7 files have not been loaded into the Norton Insight server database?

If so, this should be done, since my scan times will be much longer than they would be otherwise. Windows 7 RTM is a production operating system, not a beta, and should be treated as such.

ASUS Intel i7 desktop 16 GB RAM, 2 GB discrete Video RAM, 1 TB HDD, 180 GB Corsair Force 3 SSD, Windows 8.1 Preview, NIS 2013 and NIS Beta for Windows 8.1
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Win7 files are not in the database now.  When enough submissions are made for the OS by users, the files will be loaded automatically.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Thanks.

Just curious - "When enough submissions are made for the OS by users" - how does this come about?

Kudos0

You can read about the workings of Insight (for the current 2009 versions) in the blog entry.
Kudos0

Sorry, posted twice; crazy ISP.

Message Edited by dbrisendine on 08-21-2009 12:56 PM
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks - All I ever wnated to know about Norton Insight but were afraid to ask.

Users should know that turning Norton Community Watch off will exclude them from participating in updating the Norton Insight database.

When a user runs Norton Insight, information about the files being checked (but not the contents of the file) are sent to the Norton Insight server. Once enough submissions of a specific file have been updated, Norton can add these to the safe list, provding the file information being submitted by a user matches the information in the database.

Note to all the paranoids out there - read the blog mentioned above for mo0re details regarding this process (this doesn't mean that they are not after you, just that this is not part of that process. Thanks to Lenny Bruce for the information regarding paranoids).

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.