• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2009 shutting off Windows Defender

I just received the updates to my NIS 2009 from 16.2to 16.5. when I rebooted NIS shut off Windows Defender( I assume by default, just like it did when I first downloaded NIS 2009 back in October) I like to keep this running so I turned it back on. Then I shut down my computer and restarted it. about 2 minutes after everything booted up A windows screen came up and said windows defender is turned off. I restarted Windows Defender and then shut down the computer again. Then I restarted and the same thing happened again. Windows defender shut down. Is Windows Defender not compatible with NIS 2009 anymore? Is anybody else having this problem?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 shutting off Windows Defender

I just received the updates to my NIS 2009 from 16.2to 16.5. when I rebooted NIS shut off Windows Defender( I assume by default, just like it did when I first downloaded NIS 2009 back in October) I like to keep this running so I turned it back on. Then I shut down my computer and restarted it. about 2 minutes after everything booted up A windows screen came up and said windows defender is turned off. I restarted Windows Defender and then shut down the computer again. Then I restarted and the same thing happened again. Windows defender shut down. Is Windows Defender not compatible with NIS 2009 anymore? Is anybody else having this problem?
Kudos1 Stats

As far as i know, NO antivirus is compatible with other realtime products. Norton Internet Security Disables Windows Defender due to Realtime scanning incompatibility. If you really want another realtime spyware scanner i would recommend Threatfire. Threatfire doesn't scan the file but looks at it's behaviours and if it is a virus it will notice and quarantine it. Give it a try and look a bit at their homepage "www.threatfire.com".

Btw, im using this myself and i think it is a great tool. It catches infections that not even NIS does :D.

Kudos0

TooStrong ... I am also having this problem and it seems to have just started happening within the last week or so.  Unless there is a good reason not to, I'd like to have Defender running alonhgside NIS and up until the last week that seemed to work automatically.
Kudos0

This is nothing to do with incompatability as Defender worked quite happily alongside NIS until latest patch. Now Defender cannot run properly even with realtime protection switched off, as the service is being stopped by NIS.

Kudos0

I have the same problem. I like to use the Software Explorer in Windows Defender and it used to work nicely without any problems with NIS. The latest patch seems to be stopping the service.
Kudos0

I've been able to replicate the problem on two pc's. If Symantec is going to disable Defender (they both worked fine), it would be an nice idea to have the user notified that your turning off an application.
Kudos0

Up until the update to 16.5.0.135 my NIS 2009 and Windows Defender worked fine together. I hope they change it back, because I also liked the extra stuff that windows defender had.  Thanks for all the replies, to let me know I wasn't the only one having this issue.
Kudos0

Does anyone know if or what the workaround is to keep both Defender & NIS running? Seems like everytime I turn my PC off and then turn it back on, Defender is once again disabled.
Kudos0

I'd like to add my voice of disagreement with this policy, if it is indeed enforced by Symantec.

Furthermore, it is puzzling that Windows Defender runs alongside NIS 16.5 on the system with Win XP, but not the one with Vista Business. What's the difference, if I may ask?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Kudos0

360 also shuts off Defender on reboot,most,but not all of the time
Kudos0

Salihb wrote:

As far as i know, NO antivirus is compatible with other realtime products. Norton Internet Security Disables Windows Defender due to Realtime scanning incompatibility. If you really want another realtime spyware scanner i would recommend Threatfire. Threatfire doesn't scan the file but looks at it's behaviours and if it is a virus it will notice and quarantine it. Give it a try and look a bit at their homepage "www.threatfire.com".

Btw, im using this myself and i think it is a great tool. It catches infections that not even NIS does :D.

Interesting add-on product for AV suites... however, doesn't NIS 2009 include the functionality of Norton AntiBot, which would be a redundant (and possibly conflicting) feature?

Best Wishes,

Kurosh

Kudos0

I have four PC's in my home. If your remember last week when Norton did two updates. One was 2 megs (3 files). The next was 13 megs (1 file). Ever since that 13meg file, Defender has shut down. According to the Norton History, it was just the Antivirus Definitions. Why would this effect Defender? I have no clue. I thought the problem was on the MS side. However, there has been two updates since then and the problem still persists. So, I agree with you. Norton is shutting down Defender which could cause problems between the two companies.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi there,

We looked into this issue and as you suspected, this is a defect introduced in NIS 16.5 and N360v3. We will keep you posted as soon as we have an ETA for the fix.

Kudos0

athena ... Thank you.
Kudos0

If I can add to the confusion, I am running NIS 2009 ver 16.5.0.135 and Defender ver 1.1.1593.0 on a Windows XP Media Center Edition ver 5.1 SP3, and it looks like they are both running just fine?  Defender runs its daily scans and NIS runs its Idle and weekly Scans.  I haven't noticed any problems with either of them.  Just lucky, I guess.. 
Kudos0

Thank you athena. I will be waiting for more news from you. 

Kudos0

You are lucky indeed! :-)

The issue is for VISTA SP1 users.

Kudos0

Well that's weird, N 360v3 and Vista SP1 on my system, and Windows Defender is running just fine.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Kudos0

Oops!! I didn't realize it was a VISTA only problem..
Kudos0

I have been trying to see how the Norton upgrade has caused this issue with Defender. I have looked in the Registry. Fine. MsConfig, Fine. Startup application-modified- both programs are there and are supposed to start upon boot. However do this. Boot up, open Defender and just watch your screen. Everything is hunkee-dorey for about thirty seconds (after all applications have loaded). Then the message you see in Defender, is "an error has occured and the program must be shut down." Then go to Computer management (control panel administration tools). The error is NOT recorded. It is as windows is not seeing it.
Kudos0

At the same time that Defender is disabled a istance of wscstub.exe is running for 3-5 second.... Maybe this the origin of the bug...

Kudos0

Also awaiting the fix from Norton for this issue. It's not that I love Windows Defender, though I'm OK with it running along side Norton. It's just that Norton shouldn't have control over my start-up programs, (unless of course they're ones I never approved!). 

************************************Vista Business, Norton 360 V3.0.0.135
Kudos0

Hi all,

Just a quick update that the fix for this issue will be addressed with our next inline release. We don't have a specific date yet.

Kudos0

Does that mean we will have to wait weeks or even months for a fix?Message Edited by Hawkeyelom on 04-24-2009 04:16 PM
Kudos0

Hi Athena. On 4/21 you wrote that a fix was in the works for this issue with Defender not running with version 16.5 of NIS 2009 on a Vista SP-1 computer. What's the latest news?

It's been almost a month?

Thanks,

Bruce

Kudos0

Hello;

I just wanted to add my voice to this thread, I have been having the same problem and I am also awaiting a fix for this issue.  Vista Ultimate SP-1, NIS 16.5.0.135, current updates to all running programs.

I would also like to add that if NIS feels the need to shut something off on my system, it should notify the user or log the action somewhere.  NIS and Defender have always worked side by side on my system with no problems, and until I found this forum (and similar complaints on the web) I was really concerned that I had a trojan or something on my system that was purposely disabling Defender.

As a side note, I would like to add a bit of praise... I have been very happy with NIS 2009, it is the leanest version of NIS that I have ever installed and other than this particular issue, it seems to operate perfectly.

Jeff

******************************************Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, IE8Norton Internet Security 2009 - 16.5.0.135
Kudos0

TooStrong,

Maybe you should simply uninstall Windows Defender. NIS 2009, especially if it is fully updated, provides real time protection against viruses, spyware, worms, malware, phishing, etc. Even though I am sure Windows Defender is a fine product for scanning for spyware you should just leave NIS alone on your computer to do its thing and not have any other applications trying to do its job.

Kudos0

Well said, Pexley.  I have had Windows Defender removed from my system for years.  System resources are valuable.  Why clog them up with duplications that can actually reduce the effectiveness of the protection provided by Norton, which you are paying for?
Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

How's this for a reply from Symantec about this mess that is now two months going on?

[Removed]

[edit: Please do not post pm content per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Message Edited by shannons on 05-16-2009 05:19 PM
Kudos0

System resources are not a concern for me.  I have a powerful enough system, which I keep clean of all non-essential processes, that having an extra program like Windows Defender running is not going to impact my performance at all.  No single program is perfect at catching everything; I prove this all the time by periodically running both Ad-Aware and Spybot.  Each one of those programs will often catch something that the other one misses (and which, I might add, that NIS sometimes misses as well).

Jeff

******************************************Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, IE8Norton Internet Security 2009 - 16.5.0.135
Kudos1 Stats

I also have a very nice system, as well as Adaware on-demand and Malwarebytes on-demand.  What I don't have is two real-time scanners running at the same time.  That tends to cause a situation similar to two baseball players trying to catch the ball, each believing the other guy has it.

Another problem with making them work together is that each have tamper protection.  Each program objects to the other software scanning it.  If the ability to block all other software from access to it is removed, you now have security software that can be disabled by malware as well as each other. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos1 Stats

I understand your point, delphinium... and I tend to agree with you.  But in this particular situation, I have been running Defender alongside NIS ever since Defender was originally released... with no adverse reactions.  This is the first time one of them has ever interfered with the other, at least on my system (and I've never had to unblock either one of them for the other's benefit).  Having the extra layer of protection that Defender provides just makes me feel a little safer, I guess.  And since I've been running them concurrently for awhile, I've just gotten used to having them both.

It's getting to the point that to be truly safe, permanently disconnecting from the internet is looking like the way to go...      

Jeff

Kudos0

It's like life.  Perfect safety can be exceptionally dull.
Kudos1 Stats

athena wrote:

Hi all,

Just a quick update that the fix for this issue will be addressed with our next inline release. We don't have a specific date yet.

Have this problem too ,When will this be fixed ?, Your Quote is from a Month Ago !

With the next "Inline" Release will finally be the Windows Mail incompability be fixed also,it would be time ?????? ?

Message Edited by KidRock on 05-18-2009 08:29 AM
Kudos0

Hi KidRock,

Unfortunately, I don't have a final date for this fix yet. I can tell you though, that most likely it is going to be ready in summer timeframe, probably July. It is lined up together with some other fixes and changes for the 2009 release. Thanks for your patience! 
Kudos0

Thank you Athena. My sisters computer was attacked by some rogue malware today and i noticed norton hadn't detected it but the rogue antispyware complained about ccSvcHst.exe HAHA :D.

Anyways i cleaned her pc up and noticed Windows Defender was deactivated... Symantec... Give us the **bleep** fix as first priority!!! I would have to waste hours on cleaning it otherwise lol...

Kudos0

July?

How can you possibly turn off a person's software program that is considered part of their operating system without their consent?

Kudos0

Do you really think Symantec cares Jimbo40, and for that matter everybody else? This thread started back in March, and now a Symantec employee states that the fix 'probably' will be available in July. Do you really think they need 4 months to fix this problem with Windows Defender. They've already got our money for their buggy software. Seems to me they should fix it ASAP. Too bad, because 2009 is their best to date.

So what is Symantec doing now? My guess would be writing code and testing their 2010 series of software which usually comes out around September. Sorta reminds me of the Vista Issues which many of us have to deal with. What has Microsoft really done about them? Simple! Ignore them, and push out a new version of Windows Vista otherwise known as Windows 7 as soon as they can, which I read will be this fall. 

Don't you feel like you've been taken advantage of? Maybe even just a little bit?

Let's see how long it takes Symantec to pull this post off the board.

Kudos4 Stats

Please keep in mind that there are two companies involved here.  Microsoft has to make the data available for Symantec to work around any issues, which also means that any changes coming up the pipes on MS side also has to be considered, and of course we all know that Microsoft never changes its software.  There is no point in hurrying through a fix that will no longer work with the next updates on both sides.

Plus there is the fact that Symantec can not leave its software vulnerable to attack by malware in order to work with some other software.  These types of problems do take time.  It is in Symantec's interest to do whatever it can to resolve the issue, but they are not the only player here.  Please be patient.

Kudos1 Stats

1) I do think Symantec cares but why it takes so long I don't know.

2) Regarding the following statement "Please keep in mind that there are two companies involved here.  Microsoft has to make the data available for Symantec to work around any issues, which also means that any changes coming up the pipes on MS side also has to be considered, and of course we all know that Microsoft never changes its software. "

Please keep in mind at the beginning this was not an issue. It was when Symantec released it's "controlled update" that this problem occurred.

As far as I'm concerned it's a Symantec issue and the fact that they have turned off software that is part of a customer's operating system could possibly lead to some serious consumer issues (if the consumers are aware of if it lol). Me thinks Symantec really better get on the ball with this one.

Kudos0

Thanks to everyone posting on this threadI wasted hours searching support sites and googling the Internet to figure out why my Windows Defender suddenly stopped working and would still be troubleshooting if I hadn't found this discussion.

It's good to know that Symantec is looking into this problem, but like Jimbo40, majorbuzz , XPS-Jeff and suz01, I have serious concerns with Symantec advising users to upgrade to NIS 2009 and then disabling Windows Defender and other Microsoft security features (e.g., IE8 SmartScreen Filter) without warningI appreciate that Microsoft started this battle when they issued a release of IE8 that deliberately tries to disable NIS anti-phishing, but I wish that Symantec would take the high road and at least post something about this in the Hot Issues section of the Users Forum or add a topic on the NIS 2009 support siteI agree that temporarily turning off Windows Defender and IE SmartFilter will not seriously compromise my PC security - there's a good reason why I pay for NIS instead of relying on Microsoft's "free" built-in security features - but I was happily chugging along with NIS 2008 and IE7 with no apparent conflicts, and just advising me to turn off MS security features because "Norton is better" is inadequate.

There's something rotten in the state of SymantecI hope it isn't the threat of litigation from the evil empire of Microsoft.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.