• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS 2009 Update Problem

Following a previous issue raised in this forum 22 Nov 2008, I upgraded from NIS 2008 to NIS 2009 last night and all was well.

This morning when I switched on the pc I had a red message to “Fix Now”. When I clicked the button it went to Live update and checked for updates. It then said no updates found, I have the latest updates. When I click OK it says protection not fixed and stays “Red”.

I have tried at different times throughout the day but I am still showing an “At Risk” status. I ran a “Quick Scan” and tried again.

If I click “One Click Support” my pc says it is loading and will take several minutes but then it freezes and I get the message that program is not responding and must close.

I have looked through the help manual, I found something about turning On Automatic Updates in Computer Pane under Settings. When I click Settings in Computer Pane, I cannot find Automatic Updates.

The settings are as whatever the default is, I have not changed anything since the install.

Can anyone help me?

Anti-Vera

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 Update Problem

Following a previous issue raised in this forum 22 Nov 2008, I upgraded from NIS 2008 to NIS 2009 last night and all was well.

This morning when I switched on the pc I had a red message to “Fix Now”. When I clicked the button it went to Live update and checked for updates. It then said no updates found, I have the latest updates. When I click OK it says protection not fixed and stays “Red”.

I have tried at different times throughout the day but I am still showing an “At Risk” status. I ran a “Quick Scan” and tried again.

If I click “One Click Support” my pc says it is loading and will take several minutes but then it freezes and I get the message that program is not responding and must close.

I have looked through the help manual, I found something about turning On Automatic Updates in Computer Pane under Settings. When I click Settings in Computer Pane, I cannot find Automatic Updates.

The settings are as whatever the default is, I have not changed anything since the install.

Can anyone help me?

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Some more information re. this issue:

My Windows Security Centre Shield is “Red” with balloon message on starting up to click this balloon etc. Clicking it opens Windows Security Centre and this shows:

Firewall “On”

Automatic Updates “On”

Virus Protection “Out Of date”

I may be wrong but have feeling that when I ran NIS 2008 the Windows Firewall was “Off”. The computer is only two weeks old, so I had not really got to know NIS 2008 and as you can tell I’m a non technical user.

On searching this forum for similar issues I found under the heading:

16 October 20088 - Is Norton Internet Security 2009 Supposed to Turn Off Windows Firewall & Defender?

Response from Garret_Polk
Symantec Employee

“NIS 2009 will disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender during install if they are on. When uninstalled NIS will return them to their original states. Norton AntiVirus 2009, since it doesn't have a Firewall, will not change the Windows Firewall state. In either case you can freely enable or disable Windows Firewall or Defender after installation, although we don't recommend it”.

This may or may not be relevant to my particular problem and I do not have the confidence to change anything without reliable advice.

Hope someone can supply me with a solution.

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

How did you upgrade? Did you uninstall NIS 2008 first? Yes Windows firewall should be off.
Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NATBehavior Analysis = ThreatfireOn Demand = MBAM
Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera,

Yes, please turn off your windows firewall.

I noticed a few other posts today about folks not being able to get Live Updates for a while, however it seems to have been corrected. - see this post.

Why not try another "Run Live Update" again and see what the results are.

Let us know how you do.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hello Phil,

Thank you for responding.

When I go to the main Windows Security Screen it shows the Windows Firewall "On" green.

At the foot of that screen is the option to "Manage Settings" - when I click on the Windows Firewall option another screen appears showing the two options for "On" or "Off" however this shows it currently "Off" with red shield. This is at odds with the main Windows Security Screen where it shows the Windows Firewall "On" green.

As that has confused me, I have not changed anything. Am I in the wrong place to turn off the firewall??

I tried another Update but still says no updates  found and stays at red "At Risk" status.

Anti-Vera
Kudos0

Hi Phil/Anti -Vera

Phil I think this is different as I never had the red X factor,Just the normal web defs failing,in the thread link you posted.

Anti-Vera I am non tech as well but stay on these threads and you will learn alot.Hope your problem is solved soon.If something is not to clear to you don't be afraid to ask for clarification. These Guys are good.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Hi

Is this something like what you are looking at??  Execpt the greyed out Firewall ON as I have a Group Policy running.

You will Notice in the Main Box it states Firewall ON but in the details that Norton is currently On, Same further down under "Virus Protection"

Quads 

Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera

I was just rereading your original thread and you mentioned you had Spybot and disabled the tea/timer (message 5/28).Did you uninstall all of Spybot?I have read somewhere on this forum that other Anti virus programs can prevent other ones installing correctly(Gurus feel free to correct)Maybe uninstall it temporarily and see if it makes a difference,Maybe some else can advise if you need to re install NIS2009.Just a thought.

Cheers Mo Windows 7 64 bit, NIS2013
Kudos0

Hello Quads,

Yes, those are the two screens.

1) Main Security Center:

Firewall “On”

Drop down box says “Norton Internet Security is currently on”.

Automatic Updates “On”

Drop down box says “Norton reports that it might be out of date”.

2)      Windows Firewall

Second option for “Off” is selected with a green spot (red shield)

Does all that mean that my Windows firewall is in fact “Off” because Norton is on instead? So this is not reason for the update problem?

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera,

I would not want speak for Quads, but I believe that is the information sought for. I hope that Quads will jump back in shortly and expand upon it.

I read your message as the Windows Firewall is OFF and that the Security Center is recognizing the Norton Firewall.

Your deduction that Windows firewall is not preventing the updates appears to be correct.

Just to take one factor out of the equation, I would follow mo's suggestion and for the time being uninstall SpyBot. Should this prove not to be a part of the problem, it can be easliy installed later.

Is the One Click Support still not working?

Message Edited by Phil_D on 11-26-2008 09:19 PM
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera

Anti-Vera wrote:

Hello Quads,

Yes, those are the two screens.

1) Main Security Center:

Firewall “On”

Drop down box says “Norton Internet Security is currently on”.

Automatic Updates “On”

Drop down box says “Norton reports that it might be out of date”.

2)      Windows Firewall

Second option for “Off” is selected with a green spot (red shield)

Does all that mean that my Windows firewall is in fact “Off” because Norton is on instead? So this is not reason for the update problem?

Anti-Vera

Your 1.  You are OK. except maybe the Virus protection out of date, depending on what is going on, have you manually run a live Update??  Are you getting any downloading of updates??

Your Windows Firewall is turned off so it can't be preventing updates, Spybot S&D without Realtime protection (teatimer) doesn't interfer with updates due to none of spybot is running (or none of Spybot should be running with no teatimer module installed.

Your 2.  "Second option for “Off” is selected with a green spot (red shield)" Good, You are correct Windows own firewall is in fact off and it just telling you that the Norton Internet Security (NIS) is turned on. If You un-installed NIS (but don't just for this) the Windows Firewall will turn back on as there is no NIS installed. 

Quads 

Kudos0

Hello Quads & Phil,

Sorry about the delay, I am in England in a different time zone and I had to go to bed.

I have now uninstalled Spybot but it makes no difference to the problem.

I been clicking on “Run Live Update” in the computer pane but it always says it is up to date. In the right pane definition updates says 10 minutes ago 27/11/2008 at 10:12:37 and this has bit has been constantly changing despite the problem.

I have also clicked the red  “Fix Now” now button below the “At Risk” icon and this also goes to run Live Update but again always says it is up to date.

Is there some other way to run a manual update?

I tried the “One Click Support” again and every time I do, this still freezes the program. It starts by saying is downloading a flash player (which I thought I had), a blue bar appears and loading message but then eventually the pane goes blank and I get a message to say the program is not responding and must end now.

I also have of Norton Save & Restore on the computer; this is a trial product with a view to buy. I thought there might be benefit in keeping products in same family to avoid any compatibility issues. This also uses Live Update so I have just tried a manual update on that, but got the following message:

LUI840  Live Update is already running in background. Please wait for this to finish before running Live Update again.

I missed running one of the backups last night in Norton Save and Restore but it failed to register that and still shows status as backed up with a green tick, I think usually this would usually create a red cross icon.

Can you help?

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera,

I had been monitoring the Forums for quite some time last evening and noticed that there were a number of folks who were having problems with live update. Granted, they had different issues but I couldn't help but wonder if it had some bearing on your problem.

I understand that your main Norton Window shows that the updates are current, but let's check the date another way:

In order to check the folder where your Virus Definitions are located, go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and then check "Show hidden files and folders". 

The Definitions are located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\Definitions (XP) or C:\Program Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\Definitions\VirusDefs. You will see folders there for IPSDefs, VirusDefs and WebProtectionDefs.

Double click on the VirusDefs folder to open it and you should see another folder with the most recent definition date, starting with the year such as 20081126 - November 26, 2008.

Let me know what date yours are.

Kudos0

well today I did normal windows update and norton 2009 update.Was required to reboot. did that and ran antivirus scan as usual. Got  "windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working". Got message twice then blue screen and dump. Restored computer and did no updates.(no windows update also)..scanned with no problems. this is on 2 computers..both vista ultimate 32 bit.one a laptop and one desktop. did nortons update and scan provided same results. Now have done intelligent updater and got same result on other computer. Restored both systems again and again scanned without doing any updates. Both systems now have norton  updates turned off and windows update done and all working fine. problems are with the norton update and as intelligent updater does same problem to occur suggest prob is in definition updates. Please try to solve this problem as I do not wish again to use another antivirus as I had to do with nav 2008.both my computers are on 24hrs a day and in constant use
Kudos0

Hello Phil,

Just tried to update again in case problem has resolved itself but no such luck.

I have navigated my way to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\Definitions (XP)

In the VirusDefs folder I found these:

Folder: 20081025.020

Folder: BinHub

Folder: tagfiles

DAT file: definfo.dat

DAT file: usage.dat

In the Folder 20081025.020 are lots of files all show a modified date as 25/11/2008

Apart from checking email and going to Norton forum online I am not using the computer because I do not know/understand whether NIS 2009 is protecting me.

Are you able to re-assure me as to the severity of the problem whilst seeking a solution?

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera  

The Auto-Protect is still turned ON and monitoring things, so that's good

One poster did this and it worked for him (though maybe only for a short time).

1. Turn off tamper protection

2. go to the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA285EF591126E7}\Norton\Lue\Downloads

3. delete all the files in it

4. run LU

5. turn tamper protection back on

People are having the update and Run32.dll problem together.

Quads 

Message Edited by Quads on 11-28-2008 07:16 AM
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Anti-Vera,

I believe I can see from your information what the problem is; unless there is a typo in your post.

If you are sure the Folder Name is actually: 20081025, then although some of the files inside the folder show recent modified dates, the Folder Name itself is not changing: 20081025 - October 25, 2008.

The actual Folder Name should change to reflect the most recent updates. Currently mine is 20081127 - November 27, 2008

Therefore Norton and Windows Security Center are reading this as "Outdated Virus Definitions" and prompting the alerts.

I think Intelligent Updater will help solve your problem.

Please go to this Norton webpage and look for the .exe file that looks like this: 20081127-016-v5i32.exe (this one is from 11/27/08 but when you read this, there may be a newer file). The file for your product should be the first one listed on the page.

Click to download and save the file to your desktop and once there, click on it to run the updater. This should overwrite your existing definitions files and change the Folder Name to the correct date.

Let us know how you do with this.

*** Special thanks to Quads for consulting with me on this. 

Kudos0

And if this doesn't work for you, please try one other thing.

a.  Remove Norton Save & Restore from your computer

b.  Run the Norton Removal Tool

c.  Reinstall NIS 2009

See how this runs for a couple of days.

I have had too many issues with Save & Restore and am now waiting to see if they were all resolved with its removal.  So far, this has fixed the problems on four different computers.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Hello Phil,

Double checked before proceeding - my Folder is definitely 20081025.020

Today, files in that folder are still showing modified date 25/11/2008 time 20.53

That date and time is same as date/time NIS 2009 application installed

I have been to Norton webpage as per your instructions but latest file is 20081127-048-v5i32.exe | FTP this looks like the right one for Windows XP Pro with NIS 2009.

I have downloaded that file but not yet run it, in case anything I mention above changes the situation.

Please confirm if I should proceed.

Anti-Vera
Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera,

Yes, please proceed to run the downloaded file.

If that fails to resolve the problem, then I am in complete agreement with mijcar's advice; if you have any questions about that, please post back here and we'll walk you through that.

I'll be here waiting to hear of your results.

Kudos0

Hello Phil,

I downloaded and ran the file 20081127-048-v5i32.exe

A message appeared to say “A product was found & successfully updated. Log file at Log.intelligent Update.txt in Temp directory”.

Not sure where Temp directory is and a search for file by name does not find it, so not  sure what it says.

In NIS 2009 my red “At Risk Status” has changed to green “Secure” status.

The folder 20081025.020 still has files with the date 25/11/08 except a file called Version info data which shows a date of 28/11/2008. I am not sure what should be happening in there.

I tried the “One Click Support” and it froze on again loading, took several goes to end task and the application display pane was showing system CPU stuck at 100%.

I am not sure if the One Click Support issue and the Update issue are separate problems.

Should I now follow mijcar's advice? I have found the Norton Removal Tool in Symantec Knowledge base, but would welcome a walk through if you have the time.

A few questions:

The Knowledge base indicates separate instructions for Noron Removal Tool depending on whether 2008 or 2009 product. I have NIS 2009 but Norton Save & Restore is 2008. I have Norton Save & Restore 2 version 2.06.26322 will that complicate things?

Do I remove Norton Save & Restore via Windows Control Panel – add/delete programs? I could not see an uninstall option in the application.

I was only 10 days into the Norton Save & Restore trial so not fully with it yet. What will happen to the backups I created on my external drive? Will they be rendered useless or can I use them with a new trial/purchase product in future?

Regards

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Hi Anti-Vera,

This short post is to let you know I'm here and I am composing a response - 5 minutes or so. Okay?

Kudos0

Anti-Vera,

I'm concerned that the Intelligent Updater did not change the folder name to reflect the current date of the Definitions, and having just finished a set of suggestions for you regarding the uninstall process (which I have saved), I want to ask you one question.

You say that the Norton Interface reports "Secure".  Does Windows Security Center also report that the virus definitions are up to date?  Does NIS seem okay except for One Click Support?

If so, would you like to check this out for a day or two to see if things are stable? That way you can retain Norton Save and Restore and evaluate the interaction with NIS 2009.

If not, with a simple mouse click I can post the removal instructions as recommended by mijcar.

Let me know. I'll stay with you until this is resolved.

Phil

Kudos2 Stats

1.  If you uninstall S&R it will not remove your backups.  And if you decide to use it in the future, it will be able to rebuild those backups.  Remember, the program does not know what has happened to your computer, only that you need to restore something and that that is what it's job is to do.

By the way, I would like to know your goal in using S&R:  Is it to backup your system or to backup your data; or both?

2.  The 100% CPU usage should be a one-time thing ... if you leave your system alone and let it finish the task it's doing.

3.  Nonetheless, you are experiencing enough strange behavior on your machine that I myself would prefer cleaning up your system and starting over.  I would delete all Norton products using ADD/REMOVE.  I would start with S&R.  Then the other products.  Then the Norton Removal Tool.

If for any reason, your computer won't boot-up to the desktop (this happened for one client), then power down your computer, power it up and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  Choose the first SAFE MODE to get on to your computer and run the Norton Removal Tool from there.   Then reboot and everything should be working fine.

After everything is removed, reinstall NIS 2009.  After it is up and running, wait a time (maybe 5 minutes), then run Live Update 3 or 4 times.  If at any time, you  are asked to reboot, go ahead and do so.  At this point everything should be working fine.  Watch the system for at least 24 hours.  If the system is still functioning perfectly, then go ahead and reinstall S&R and see what happens.

And please report back to us.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

Thank you mijcar,

Good evaluation as usual.

Kudos0

Hello Phil & Mij,

Phil Questions:

Q. You say that the Norton Interface reports "Secure".  Does Windows Security Center also report that the virus definitions are up to date? 

Virus definitions – Definitons Update in right pane says “1 minute”. Clicking on that says 28/11/2008 17:04:10 (London GMT)

Q. Does NIS seem okay except for One Click Support? 

Quick Scan – No problem

Full Scan – No problem

Live Update - says product is up to date

Mij Questions:

Q. By the way, I would like to know your goal in using S&R:  Is it to backup your system or to backup your data; or both? 

My pc is about 2 weeks old, I had a hard drive error on previous one. Setting up new one made me realise that my ad hoc backups were not adequate for my needs. Whilst overall I did not lose much, only email messages it was all a muddle to sort out especially all my spreadsheets of data that I keep and constantly update. I wanted also the comfort of a full computer backup and recovery CD to fall back on should need arise. Having read up what products were on offer, the choice was down to Norton S & R or Arconis so I went for Norton because I thought it would be compatable with NIS. I thought it best given my level of skill to go for a wizard led product.

One thing I did not mention, not sure if relevant, My pc is a Dell Vostro 1710 with operating system: English (downgrade) Windows Vista Business SP1 (32bit) to XP Pro with Vista & XP Media. That is how it described on the invoice. I have the DVD for Vista supplied with it to give me the option to change at a future date.

Should I go now ahead with the uninstall of Norton applications and then run the Norton Removal Tool or wait a few days to see if it settles?

The bit going into SAFE MODE looks a bit scary as I have never been there. If I am unlucky enough to need that, will it look like a windows desktop when I get there and will the file for Norton Removal Tool which I downloaded be sitting there for me to just click and run?

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Anti-Vera wrote:

Should I go now ahead with the uninstall of Norton applications and then run the Norton Removal Tool or wait a few days to see if it settles?

I think one of mijcar's concerns (and mine also) is that the actual definition Folder Name is not changing to the most recent date of the actual Definition Updates. This is unusual behavior. It is possible that after a few days, the "out of date" virus alerts may return.

Going into Safe Mode is only for "worst case" scenario. If that is required, it is really quite easy and we can walk you through it.

I feel like I've bombarded you with tasks over the past few days to correct the problem and mijcar is basically saying it might be best to start fresh. His advice is to start with a clean installation of NIS 2009, observe it for 24 hours and then reinstall Save & Restore. That is probably good advice.

Tell me what you are comfortable with and we'll do it. I'll be here for a number of hours and I'm sure mijcar will back also.

Kudos0

Hello Phil,

My logical head is saying a fresh start with a clean reinstall of NIS 2009 is the best way forward, but deep down I am very nervous of the process.

Having been with you a couple of days, I have confidence in you. I do have ability to follow step by step instructions but what might be obvious to those with technical skill may not be with me.

I you think I am up to the task, then I would like to proceed.

Anti-Vera

Kudos1 Stats

Okay. Read these steps and post back if you any questions.

You could also copy this post and print it for reference.

1) If you wish, copy the files you are concerned about to your external drive, then turn off the external drive.

2) Write down your NIS product key.

3) Download and Save a copy of NIS 2009 here (just in case there was a problem with your prior download).

4) Download and Save the Norton Removal Tool here to your desktop. Use the 2009 version. Do not run it yet.

5) Uninstall Norton Save and Restore via Add-Remove Programs.

6) Uninstall NIS 2009 via Add-Remove Programs.

7) Uninstall Symantec Live Update and Live Update Notifier via Add-Remove Programs.

8) Run the Norton Removal Tool by clicking on the icon which you saved to your desktop.

9) Install NIS 2009 by clicking on the installer icon.

Wait about 5 minutes after the installation is complete and then perform a manual Run Live Update a few times to be sure you get all the updates.

** Restarts will be required throughout some of these steps.

Kudos0

No Questions so far.

I have completed steps 1 to 4 inclusive.

I will now continue with step 5 onwards and report back.

I have spare laptop fired up and connected to net in case I need to contact via that.

Deep breath - here we go!

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

I'm with you!
Kudos0

I'm in the background too

Might be a good idea to restart PC after using removal tool even if NRT doesn't ask at completion.

Quads 

Kudos0

Quads wrote:

I'm in the background too

Might be a good idea to restart PC after using removal tool even if NRT doesn't ask at completion.

Quads 

Great!  I'm sure Anti-Vera appreciates the extra support.
Kudos0

I am still at step 5 - in add/remove I noted the following:

Norton Save & Restore - says last used 08/05/2072 - Funny? I use this daily.

Live Update last used 13/11/2008

NIS 2009 - no last date used shown

I went to delete Norton Save & Restore - It is asking me if I intend to upgrade or re-install and want to keep user data such as backup jobs. Options are Yes or No only and cannot go back. Do I say yes so I can reinstall in future when all is stable or No so that no trace of anything left behind?

Norton Save & Restore is a problem I'll give it a miss and try another product.

Anti-Vera
Kudos0

Say no. It won't delete what you have saved, but merely your settings for backup.

Lets get rid of it completely for now.

** Please note Quads comment about performing a restart after running the Removal Tool even if you are not prompted.

Message Edited by Phil_D on 11-28-2008 03:43 PM
Kudos0

Hi

Nice date "08/05/2072" is that what they call future proofing.

Seen somewhere that some people are having the odd problem with save and restore.

Quads 

Kudos0

Quads wrote:

Hi

Nice date "08/05/2072" is that what they call future proofing.

Seen somewhere that some people are having the odd problem with save and restore.

Quads 

Future Proofing or one heck of a subscription!
Kudos0

It states that Save & restore was last used in 08/05/2072.  How can you last use a program when the date hasn't even arrived yet in the real world it's 2008. 

LOL  your Anti-Vera must be some sort of time traveller (Dr Who??).

Quads 

Kudos0

Progress report from soare laptop:

Steps 5 to 9 now complete with no difficulties.

Will now wait 5 minutes or so perform a manual Run Live Update a few times by clicking "Run Live Update" in computer pane.

I will confirm in due course.

Meanwhile thank you all.

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Good News!

You've had a real team effort behind you!

Kudos0

Hello Phil & all,

Ran LiveUpdate (1) – says product has latest updates. Definition Updates said 34 days ago – click to reveal said 24/10/2008

Virus Defs folder 20081025.20 had all files within as 28/11/2008 time 21.04

Waited 5 mins ran LiveUpdate (2) - says product has latest updates. Definition Updates now say 1 min ago – click to reveal said 28/11/2008

Virus Defs folder 20081025.20 had all files within as 28/11/2008 time 21.04

Waited 5 mins ran LiveUpdate (3) – says unable to connect to Norton LiveUpdate Server – check your internet connection. I checked but I connect to the net fine.

Waited 5 mins ran LiveUpdate (4) - says product has latest updates. Definition Updates said 16 minutes ago – click to reveal said 24/11/2008 21.15.32

Virus Defs folder 20081025.20 still shows all files within as 28/11/2008 time 21.04

I will await your comments before trying anything else. I have not yet run a scan or tried the “One Click Support”.

Regards

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Understood.

What does your Norton Interface indicate - Green?

And what about Windows Security Center?

Kudos0

Hello Phil,

Norton green status “Secure”

Windows Security Centre:

Firewall green “On” – Norton Security on

Automatic Updates green “On”

Antivrus Protection green “ON” – Norton Internet Security reports it is up to date and virus scanning is on

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

If the definition updates in the main Norton interface are current, then I would let it sit for right now. There is an outside chance that once some "pulse updates" and "automatic Live Updates" come in, things will correct.

I assume your system (computer) clock is accurate?

Now this part is just conjecture:

Possibly even with the Norton Removal Tool, the old Virus Definition Folder was not deleted, or maybe the Lue Temp folder that Quads mentioned here was not deleted.

Since everything is reporting Okay, you are protected.

Perhaps mijcar or Quads will have some further input.

Be assured, we won't let this go until it's right.

Kudos0

Hello Phil,

I did not turn the tamper thing off/on or delete any files at that time. Checking the files folders mentioned reveals the following:

Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA285EF591126E7}\Norton\Lue\Downloads

The above Lue/Downloads folder has: File Download Resumption.Lue and 3 zipped folders. All show a date 28/11/2008 time 21:46.

My clock in taskbar on desktop shows 23:06 correct London GMT and date 28 Nov 2008. If I go to Control panel and select Time and Date it are correctly shown there.

The folder in Virus Defs folder is now 20081127.048 – now re-named?? The files in that folder show some still at 28/11/2008 and others now 27/11/2008 – backwards?

The folder in Virus Defs was named 20081025.20 had all files within as 28/11/2008 time 21.04

Still not run a scan yet.

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Anti-Vera wrote:

....  The folder in Virus Defs folder is now 20081127.048 – now re-named??

Anti-Vera

That is good news. That is the same folder name that I have and the same that is most current on the Intelligent Updater page as of this moment.

You should see this folder name change as new definitions arrive.

Keep your fingers crossed - I think you did it!

PS: Not all of the files inside the folder will have the current date as not all are changed daily. The important part is that the folder name has updated.

Message Edited by Phil_D on 11-28-2008 06:38 PM
Kudos0

Hello Phil, What can I say, I am deeply indebted to you for your assistance and of course the others who have contributed.

I switched the pc off for 10 minutes while I made a cup of tea and just switched back on- still green and secure. It was after I switched off, that the problems began with the first install of NIS 2009, so re-assuring that all is still well.

I will run a quick scan now and then go to bed, you have exhausted me! Tomorrow I will monitor again and perhaps try that “One Click Support” to see if it freezes up.

I never did get to look at/set up that Identity safe thing first time around. I assume it is optional, cannot think why I would want to part with any of my details to it. My identity is in my head and I have never forgotten myself yet.

By for now,

Anti-Vera

Kudos0

Thank you for the kind words, however this was truly a team effort.

There was a great deal of "behind the scenes" consultation with mijcar and Quads.

Your issue might still be pending had it not been for their advice.

Best Wishes.

Kudos2 Stats

Just got back from taking a couple of kids to see Appaloosa (not bad, btw).

What a team effort!  It makes me proud.  Looks like you guys did it.

Vera, when you read this, I would like you to leave your computer on and untended for about 30 to 60 minutes.  I want to see if the pulse updates are working and if the Idle Time Scan is operating as it should.  Also, once the first Idle Time Scan is complete, NIS will be less interfering.

Next, I would like you to practice getting into Safe Mode.  It is easy; and it is an essential skill for something who is as capable as you sound:

Power off your computer.

• ***Power it on AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER start tapping the F8 key about once a second.  (Once should actually be enough, but until you figure out the timing, this will be the way to do it).
  • ***You should get a screen with a whole lot of options.  The first one will probably say SAFE MODE; and the third one will probably say SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK CONNECTIONS or something like that.  Since we are doing this for practice, go ahead and pick this one, the SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK CONNECTIONS because it is the most useful.
  • ***Next you will see a whole lot of items scrolling up your screen.  That's fine.
  • ***Then it will hesitate for a time; that too is normal.  Just wait patiently.
  • ***Then you will get a log on screen if you use one and this will probably look kind of washed out, like the graphics are off (they are; that's part of how SAFE MODE works).  You can log on here if that's where you are.
  • ***Next you will get a display telling you that you are in SAFE MODE and suggesting some reasons you might have ended up here.  You will be given a choice of staying in SAFE MODE or rebooting to normal mode.  Make the choice that leaves you in SAFE MODE
  • ***Finally you will be at a desktop.  It will look funny.  Colors, sizes, items, all will be simplistic with blah graphics.  This is the normal operation of your computer when it doesn't include all those other fancy items designed to make your computer such an "exciting" experience and all of which are vulnerable to viral attack or just plain damage or corruption.  The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about this -- it's like looking at an xray of your system; this is the "inside" of your computer's system, without all the fancy clothes.  When you turn off SAFE MODE (just by rebooting), everything will be back where you want it to be.  While you're here, you can see if you still have an internet connection, try reading off a CD, open some document in your word processor, just look at things, or try things out.
  • ***When you're done, reboot and your next bootup will be the normal mode.

There are some things you can't always do in SAFE MODE.  For example, ADD/REMOVE won't work for a lot of programs because the removal process uses a vulnerable part of your computer.  Likewise, you probably won't be able to burn a CD or run special processes that require special (and vulnerable) drivers.  But SAFE MODE does allow you to use all the standard checking and repair processes that come with Windows; thus allowing you to repair a lot of malware damage without having to worry about the malware itself.  It isn't perfect; some malware can beat SAFE MODE; but usually this is the way to go.  And now that you know how to get here, you won't be as worried about it in the future.

Last, I would like you to run a full system scan with NIS 2009 just to confirm the operability of that componet.

And when all this is done, report back to us and we'll talk about Save & Restore.

Message Edited by mijcar on 11-28-2008 05:34 PM
Kudos1 Stats

Anti-Vera wrote:

Hello Phil,

Norton green status “Secure”

Windows Security Centre:

Firewall green “On” – Norton Security on

Automatic Updates green “On”

Antivrus Protection green “ON” – Norton Internet Security reports it is up to date and virus scanning is on

Anti-Vera

Hi Anti-Vera

Everything seems Ok by your report in your above message, Both NIS and Windows are report everything is OK.
The reason doing the manual Live Update says has latest updates is that pulse updates are ON and keep downloading updates when connected to the net.  The guys PC in town keeps checking every 4 minutes at least.
Now "The folder in Virus Defs folder is now 20081127.048 – now re-named?? The files in that folder show some still at 28/11/2008 and others now 27/11/2008 – backwards?"  Some files have not needed to be updated yet and some have been updated since, My Virus definition files are like that depends what the updates are. Not a full pack update like an update of say 300k vs an update of 38mb which is the full definitions update........... 

Quads 

Message Edited by Quads on 11-29-2008 02:28 PM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.