• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2009 - USB Networked Printer problem

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=37836

Clinet of mine has got two desktop PCs (XP SP3) connected through a router, PCa , PCb,,,,,there was Samsung USB printer connected to PCb and shared (before installing NIS 2009-----3 licence) with PCa without any problem,,,,,then I installed NIS 2009 on both PCs (PCa, PCb),,,,every thing is find and no problem with printing

Then my clinet bought a third desktop (XP SP3) ,,PCc,,,,, I installed NIS 2009 (before I shared samsung printer with PCc),,,,because I forgot to install shared printer first.

Then I tried to install shared printer, but I could not ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what I did I disabled Smart Firewall temporarly for one hour on both PCs (PCb, and PCc)I was able to share the printer and printed test page, then I enabled Smart Firewall again every thing was fine.

When I restarted PCc,,,,the problem started again , PCc can not print

Thanks 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009 - USB Networked Printer problem

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=37836

Clinet of mine has got two desktop PCs (XP SP3) connected through a router, PCa , PCb,,,,,there was Samsung USB printer connected to PCb and shared (before installing NIS 2009-----3 licence) with PCa without any problem,,,,,then I installed NIS 2009 on both PCs (PCa, PCb),,,,every thing is find and no problem with printing

Then my clinet bought a third desktop (XP SP3) ,,PCc,,,,, I installed NIS 2009 (before I shared samsung printer with PCc),,,,because I forgot to install shared printer first.

Then I tried to install shared printer, but I could not ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what I did I disabled Smart Firewall temporarly for one hour on both PCs (PCb, and PCc)I was able to share the printer and printed test page, then I enabled Smart Firewall again every thing was fine.

When I restarted PCc,,,,the problem started again , PCc can not print

Thanks 

Kudos3 Stats

Hi zillah,

Since you did get the printer to work until a restart on computer C, please check the following on this computer:

1) In the main Norton interface, go to Internet Settings > Smart Firewall > Advanced Settings > Configure.

In the Advanced Settings window turn OFF Automatic File / Printer Sharing Control.

Click "Apply" and OK your way out.

2) Next, from the main Norton interface, click View Network Security Map. Click the "Edit" button by Network Details.

3) The Edit Network Details window will open. Check that the Trust Level for this computer matches the Trust Level of the other computers; for your use it should be SHARED or FULL TRUST.  (note that this image shows PROTECTED)

If it is not SHARED or FULL TRUST, click the "Edit" button and select the Trust Level that matches your other computers. OK your way out.

Let us know how you do with this.

[edit: grammar]

Message Edited by Phil_D on 05-11-2009 12:30 PM
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

>>Let us know how you do with this<<

Just clarification

I have got two printers one of them canon usb connected to PCa

2- USB samsung printer connected to PCb

3- Both PCa & PCb are able to print through networked printer samsung.

4- When I installed NIS 2009 on PCc, PCc was not able to printer via samsung nor via canon

5- I followed your instructions Phil on PCc only (as you stated), then it was able to print via canon only but not through samsung.

>>please check the following on this computer<<

6- Trust level on PCc was "PROTECTED", I changed it to "SHARED" like other two PCa, PCb

7- I unsinalled NIS from PCc , and restarted PCc and it was able to print via canon and via samsung.

8- I installed NIS again on PCc , and this time I turned off " Automatic File / Printer Sharing Control"  for both PCc and PCb

9- My curious why PCc was able to print via canon that is connected to PCa, although " Automatic File / Printer Sharing Control " is turned on not off ????

Message Edited by zillah on 05-11-2009 09:16 PMMessage Edited by zillah on 05-11-2009 09:18 PM
Kudos0

I see you got a lot of good, detailed advice.

You might want to try resetting your router first.  I am talking about a hard reset, involving holding down the reset button on the router for the right length of time (usually about 5 to 10 seconds - check on the manufacturer's site).  You will have to re-enter the basic information, but you might find that it fixes everything.  It did for me.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

mijcar wrote:

It did for me.

I see thanks for this input

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.