• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2009/2010 and BitLocker Drive Encyrption on Vista, Windows 7.

Hi everyone:

Have there been any reported NIS compatibility issues with BitLocker on Vista and Windows 7?

This would apply to the 32 and 64-bit versions.

TIA

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2009/2010 and BitLocker Drive Encyrption on Vista, Windows 7.

Hi everyone:

Have there been any reported NIS compatibility issues with BitLocker on Vista and Windows 7?

This would apply to the 32 and 64-bit versions.

TIA

Kudos0

Hi Plankton,

I take it this is a general question and not related to a problem you are having? I've done some searching on both Symantec forums and general google searches and don't find any indication of known issues.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Hi AllenM:

Yes. that's correct. I also did not find any posts.

I'm just curious to know of any compatibility issues. None is a good thing.

Thanks.

Kudos2 Stats

I have been using NIS 2009/NIS2010 on Win 7 64 and 32 bit systems utilising bitlocker on several drives without any issues at all.
Kudos0

Isn't Bitlocker an active encryption / decryption of the data on the disk? 

This is done at the file access level of the File Subsystem in the OS so it happens transparently to any other OS activities.  Norton' scanning would happen after the decryption; processes in memory are not encrypted.  The Bitlocker security really comes into play when the hard drive is accessed by something other than the OS (someone stole your system and mounted the drive in a different machine to read the data, for example).

By the way, I'm not totally familiar with the designations in your "signature"; what do they stand for?

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Hi dbrisendine:

Spoke with an old friend last week, who was maintaining that NAV and NIS had performance problems with BitLocker Encryption.

I told him basically what you had stated in your post, but he was very adamant about it, so I mentioned that I would look into it.

MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.

CSQE = Certified Software Quality Engineer.

Message Edited by Plankton on 11-24-2009 12:22 AM
Kudos0

Did you friend mention which, if any, AV did not have a problem with Bitlocker?
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Hi dbrisendine:

Actually, yes - Kaspersky.

I told him that he was dreaming... BitLocker is so low level.

Kudos3 Stats

Bitlocker is a logical volume encryption system, it can be applied on part of a single physical disk, a whole disk or across multiple physical disks, depends on how the volume is defined.

If enabled it can not be accessed by the OS unless a password/key is supplied to unlock it.

If the drive is locked NIS finds nothing to scan and skips it, if it is unlocked NIS scans it as normal, no problems.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.