• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS 2010 & Add-On Pack Installation failure

I recently installed NIS 2010 on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  It successfully runs, but I am unable to install the Add-On pack.

I'm trying to do this through the "Install" link that is in NIS "Parental and Privacy" settings in NIS.  When I follow this link, it takes me to a page to download a file named "FSDESDDownloader.exe".  I am able to successfully download this file to my desktop.

When I run this file from my desktop, I get an error that says "An unrecoverable error has occurred".  That's all it says.

I've contacted Norton Tech support and they have spent over 8 hours remote connected to my computer unsuccessfully trying to get the Norton Download Manager to function.

I have uninstalled and re-installed NIS 2010 using the Norton Removal Tool at least 3 times.  Tech support has done it at least 4 times.  I still cannot successfully execute the "FSDESDDownloader.exe" file.  I've also tried running the file with Norton Tamper Protection in NIS turned OFF with no success (per some other comments in this forum).  Turning on Tamper Protection has made no difference.

Tech support has just about given up on me and I've just about given up on them.  The product is useless to me without the Parental Controls, so I need to get the Add-On pack functioning.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 & Add-On Pack Installation failure

I recently installed NIS 2010 on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  It successfully runs, but I am unable to install the Add-On pack.

I'm trying to do this through the "Install" link that is in NIS "Parental and Privacy" settings in NIS.  When I follow this link, it takes me to a page to download a file named "FSDESDDownloader.exe".  I am able to successfully download this file to my desktop.

When I run this file from my desktop, I get an error that says "An unrecoverable error has occurred".  That's all it says.

I've contacted Norton Tech support and they have spent over 8 hours remote connected to my computer unsuccessfully trying to get the Norton Download Manager to function.

I have uninstalled and re-installed NIS 2010 using the Norton Removal Tool at least 3 times.  Tech support has done it at least 4 times.  I still cannot successfully execute the "FSDESDDownloader.exe" file.  I've also tried running the file with Norton Tamper Protection in NIS turned OFF with no success (per some other comments in this forum).  Turning on Tamper Protection has made no difference.

Tech support has just about given up on me and I've just about given up on them.  The product is useless to me without the Parental Controls, so I need to get the Add-On pack functioning.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Kudos0

Hi tankman

Welcome to the Norton Community

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having installing the Parental Add on pack. Perhaps this link will be of some help to you. There is also something newer available. It's called Family Online. Norton.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/parental-controls/index.jsp

Message Edited by floplot on 11-27-2009 12:25 PM
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi tankman,

Which version of NIS do you have? Please open NIS 2010, go to "Help & Support", and then to "About". If you have got version 17.1.0.19 and are trying to install add-on pack version 4,0, please check out this thread - that version of the add-on pack is incompatible with the latest version if NIS 2010:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=86408

Add-on pack version 4.1, according to said thread, is compatible with the latest version of NIS 2010. 

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-27-2009 06:25 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

I have version 17.0.0.136 and dowloaded the Add-On pack directly from the NIS/Settings/Parental Privacy & Controls.  Still doesn't work.  This link seems to take you to a place that downloads the Norton Download Manager.  Is there anyway to get the AOP DIRECTLY from the site without using download manager?

I'm running out of options as another 2 hours of Norton Tech Support was unable to even give me the slightest idea of why the AOP won't install.

Thanks!

Kudos0

I also tried the link directly that "flopot" listed above.  Still getting "An urecoverable error has occurred" when trying to run the FSDESDownloader.exe file.

The latest tech support agent from Norton ran the Norton Removal tool twice, and re-installed NIS 2010 twice.  It makes absolutely no difference. 

Can't understand why I can install/run NIS 2010, but not the Add On pack.

Kudos0

Hi tankman

If that is the version you have, then you haven't gotten the latest update to the product yet. Please run live update a few times to get the latest update to the program. After you get the latest version, then maybe it will install ok. Just to be on the safe side that you don't have any malware on your computer which is blocking any further updates, you could run the free version of Malwarebytes.

Download the free version, install and update then run a FULL scan. After the scan completes you should post the logs back to this thread.

You can find Malwarebytes here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

tankman wrote:

I have version 17.0.0.136 and dowloaded the Add-On pack directly from the NIS/Settings/Parental Privacy & Controls. 

Hi tankman,

As floplot has said, you do not have the latest version of NIS 2010. After tech support tried to help you and reinstalled NIS 2010 for you, can you please check your version again? If it is still 17.0.0.136, please follow floplot's suggestion and run LiveUpdate to see if you get the 17.1.0.19 patch (if you do, the patch will arrive in two parts; you will be asked to restart your computer after the second part), then check the version number again.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 11-28-2009 10:50 AM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Yaso & floplot,

I ran a FULL SCAN with Malwarebytes.  It did not find any Malware.

I also ran LiveUpdate and it finally downloaded NIS Version 17.1.0.19, which is now running on my machine.

Thanks for the ideas.

The unfortunate thing is that neither of these ideas got me any further with installing the AOP.  I continue to immediately get "An Unrecoverable Error has occurred" when trying to execute FSDESDownloader.exe.

The FSDESDownloader.exe file is only about 1.29MB.  I presume that this file downloads from the Symantec server a significantly larger file that is the actual AOP?  Does anyone know how to get to this file directly?  Or is the FSDESDownloader.exe the COMPLTETE Add-on pack?

I am about out of ideas and have spent more than 10 hours trying to troubleshoot this problem.  I have NEVER had any other program from ANY other vendor that just would not install.  This is extremely frustrating.

I'm just about ready to return the product and ask for my money back!  NIS 2010 is basically useless to me without the Parental Controls, since this is what I wanted/liked most from the past.

Please let me know if you have anything else that is worth trying.  I really appreciate the input.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi tankman,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems. Have you tried installing the add-on pack from within the NIS 2010 product itself (instead of downloading it separately from the Symantec website)?

Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi

I see that there are 2 separate products available. There is the add on pack and there is also Online Family.Norton also.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/parental-controls/index.jsp

http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/parental-controls/online-family.jsp

Could there be a setting in your browser that is possibly conflicting with the installation of that part of the program? Isn't there a setting in IE itself that has parental controls? I seem to remember a setting in IE about parental controls.

Would the content advisor in Internet options have any influence in trying to install that program?Message Edited by floplot on 11-28-2009 04:45 PM
Kudos2 Stats

tankman,

I've never used the parental controls add-on, for obvious reasons <g>, but I can imagine how frustrating this must be.

If you can hang on until after this holiday weekend is over I'm sure there will be some Symantec Staff -- names in red -- coming in and the advantage here of having them is that they are personnel involved in the actual programming and quality control for the products and so inevitably know more than the dedicated support staff.

So please be patient and don't return the product for a refund yet ....

BTW -- Are you using a USA/CAN version of NIS or a localized one for another market?

Message Edited by huwyngr on 11-28-2009 05:31 PM
Hugh
Kudos3 Stats

Hi tankman,

Sorry for the delay. It looks like this is more of a problem with the Norton Download Manager attempting to download and install the Add-On Pack to your system. Here's a link to directly download the Add-On Pack for NIS 2010:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821115308EN&ln=en_US

Please read the directions before you download and install. Thanks!

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Tony,

Thank you so much!  That fixed my problem!  I spent over 12 hours having my machine remote controlled by TechSupport with no luck.  I started to think that it was a problem with Norton Download Manager several days ago. 

I even reached a point where I asked if I could be told where to download the AOP directly instead of using Norton Download Manager, but 4 different tech support agents could not give me the answer to that   I'm glad you were able to tell me where to get it directly.

Thanks again.  I wish I knew why the Download Manager won't function on my machine, but it's not that important now that I was able to directly download and install the AOP.  I was on the verge of returning the product, but now, thanks to your answer I won't have to.

Kudos0

I am having the same problem, but I just get a blank screen when I open the link.  It seems to load the window, but it is blank.

What do I do now.  I want to download the addon pack  I am running xp sp3 and had no problems when using NIS 2009.

Kudos0

tennman,

Are you referring to the link from within the product or the one Tony has given in his post?

-MbR

&quot;Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher&quot; - MbR

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.