• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2 Stats

NIS 2010 and hybrid sli/vista power saver incompatibility!!!

I recently decided to upgrade from NIS 2009 to 2010.

All went smoothly and i was quite content until i tried to change the power settings on my laptop.

The laptop uses nvidia hybrid sli which means i can switch from 2 nvidia GPUs to a 3rd discrete motherboard GPU when on battery.

However the vista power plan settings are now unable to change the GPUs because of ccsvchst.exe which needs to be closed from the task manager as it is obstructing the power setting or GPU driver from doing its job.As there are may instances of this process it is very impractical to do this when i change power settings.

This happens regardless whether the norton control panel is open or closed-hower i did notice that i dont have this problem if i log off and back on and then do not open the norton control panel at all. The problem is also temporarily fixed by changing the background colour of the NIS control panel.

I think then that this particular instance of ccsvchst.exe that is causing issues is simply a process to do with the display properties of the Norton control panel-perhaps that new swirly effect when you press performance?!?

It is a shame that i will have to uninstall NIS2010 just because symantec have added a cosmetic process that interferes with hybrid sli-good job i kept a copy of the NIS2009 installer-either that or switch to Kaspersky....

Symantec-please fix this stupid glitch soon -you may tempt me back to Norton if u do....

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 and hybrid sli/vista power saver incompatibility!!!

Uglyspirit,

Welcome to the community!

I doubt if any of those background tasks would interfere with switching of power plan settings when you're running your computer on battery power. This is because NIS has a power saving option that suspends all background activities when on battery power.

<<As there are may instances of this process it is very impractical to do this when i change power settings.>>

I have only two instances of ccSVCHST running in the task manager. How many do you see?

-MbR

&quot;Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher&quot; - MbR
Kudos1 Stats

Are you running Aero views for the desktop?  If you change from Aero to Basic (on the desktop) does the problem go away?
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks 4 your replies.Unfortunately i removed NIS 2010 as i assumed Symantec had simply overlooked hybrid SLI GPU power switching as it is not that common in PCs so i dont expect they will fix the issue.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Uglyspirit:

Please confirm this.

When you removed NIS 2010 the problem went away?

Also, do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

Message Edited by Plankton on 01-07-2010 09:44 AM
      Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8
Kudos2 Stats

Yeah removing Nis2010 and going back to Nis2009 resolved this problem.

Power switching from SLI to intergrated graphics card is stopped by a process introduced by NIS2010-all i have to do is have the norton control panel open once in my windows session and this will prevent switching.

Certain other processes like the Steam control panel do this but they are easy to shut down and are not always running in the background unlike NIS2010.

I do have the latest Nvidia mobile chipset drivers and as a pc 'gamer' i'm not gonna install an older driver just to get NIS2010 to work.

Like i said before i will stick with NIS09 until subscription expires and then i guess will have to go to kaspersky as i dont expect symantec to fix this for 'niche' set ups like nvidia hybrid sli....

Kudos1 Stats

i dont agree with you uglyspirit.

i have a HYBRID SLI rig as well and many more do too and even more will since its the way laptop builders handle power saving and extra power all in one using hybrid sli.

if i knew that this issue exsited before i bought norton 2010 i might have reconsidered the purchase and i will reconsider if issue isnt resolved by my end of subscription.

as you may guess i have the same issue and i would appreciate some sort of investigation into the cause of this issue before its dismissed.

the issue appears in windows  7 as well and like uglyspirit said i am unable to just end the process i have to restart the laptop and its annoying to say the least.

I would appreciate any insight into the matter,

thank you.

Kudos2 Stats

Still no response from any Symantec employee on this thread?

There is another thread from someone with exactly the same issue back in November 2009 and they had no response either!?!

Is it a Norton issue or an Nvidia issue?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.