• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS 2010 and MS Security Essentials

Hi, everyone. My new computer is running Windows7 64 bit. My tech says I can run NIS 2010 and Microsoft Security Essentials, in tandem. So far, they seem to be co-existing ok. I'm running ONE firewall,  {Norton} and TWO anti virus. Is this likely to cause any problems? What do you guys think?  Thanks, in advance. Geoff Hickling.

Windows 10 Home X 64

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 and MS Security Essentials

Hi, everyone. My new computer is running Windows7 64 bit. My tech says I can run NIS 2010 and Microsoft Security Essentials, in tandem. So far, they seem to be co-existing ok. I'm running ONE firewall,  {Norton} and TWO anti virus. Is this likely to cause any problems? What do you guys think?  Thanks, in advance. Geoff Hickling.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

As they both have real time components I would not run them together.  There might be stability issues.

Kudos0

No problem, we're all here to help.

You should only be running only one antivirus program because having two will end up creating conflicts with each other and the security provided will be no help if they are fighting each other. The performance of the system will also be negatively impacted and can cause instability for the AV program & the OS.  If you're using Norton for the firewall, you might as well use it for the AV as well since NIS 2010 uses advanced scanning techniques which helps keep the system very secure and helps maintain the performance of your machine as well.  NIS 2010 is very lightweight and you shouldn't have any slowdowns with it.  You'll be happy with it.

You should also use an On-demand scanner such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to help get rid of threats should they get past Norton (rarely), but only get the free version of MBAM.  The free version doesn't run 24/7 like Norton does.  You can use it to scan the system if you suspect something got on there, just keep it up to date as well.

I hope this answers your question.  Let us know how everything goes.  Jeff.

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2
Kudos0

Thanks, guys. I did have misgivings about running both, and will take your advice, and just run Nis 2010. I've had Norton since 2002, and it's always protected me well. Best wishes, Geoff Hickling

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

yep two is really too much.

But Norton 2002? That build is really a bit too old. You might wanna upgrade to 2010 for now. 2011 is not far away as well.

there have been some great new security extra's which will protect you much better

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

You cannot run two real-time products at the same time, they will compete for computer resources and cause you a lot of problems. They can even detect each other as threats in some cases. Always use only one real-time scanner/suite/anti-virus.

Kudos0

BrandonAL23 - How does this relate to M S Security Essentials?  Does it not work in "Real Time"?  Does a user use NIS or NAV and also have MS Security Essentials but disable one of them?  What? 

Kudos1 Stats

yeah you have to get rid of one of them, they are both real time protection, which means that they are actively preventing threats from infecting your pc. if you run 2 real time products at the same time, they will compete for resources, slow the computer down, and possibly even compromise your security. I had this problem when I installed MSE a few months ago before I forgot to uninstall my McAfee anti virus and I had a lot of problems till I got rid of McAfee. Of course now, I just use NIS 2010.

Kudos0

oops, I also forgot to mention that you must uninstall the program that you don't plan on using completely. you can't just disable it.

Kudos0

If you want M.S.E. and Norton on your system, you could just turn off all Real-Time Protection in M.S.E. and just have Norton do the Real-Time Scanning.

I would highly-recommend SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition as well.  

www.superantispyware.com

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Stu, I should have said, I've had Norton PRODUCTS since 2002 ! I'm running NIS 2010 V17   :-D

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.