• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 Build 17.0.0.127 blocks home network file sharing

I've been through several versions of NIS 2010 over the last few months.  Runing Win7 RC Build 7100.  Originally my home network worked fine, but, I don't use it frequently, so I don't know since when it was blocked.

On 9/1 I installed NIS 2010 Vs 17.0.0.127.  On 9/7 I noticed that my home network file sharing was 'blocked'.  From the Win 7 installation I could not 'see' files & folders on Vista machines & vice versa.  All Vista machines 'saw' each other. On 9/8 I spent all day debugging, setting the network machines from Shared to Trusted in the firewall settings, twice disabling the firewalls, disabling AV protection, deleting the homegroup on the Win 7 machines & many other changes.  No success.  This morning, on 09/09/09, I went a step further and uninstalled NIS completely (keeping settings).  Immediately file sharing was back to normal, from Win7 to Vista and vice versa.

I reinstalled NIS, since I don't need file sharing often amd the machine has a dual boot to either Win7 or Vista and all use files are accesible from either 'side'.  Has anyone else seen this problem and has it been 'fixed' for the released version?  Temporarily I can live with it, but in the long run it needs fixing.  Could it be unique to my machine?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.  Peter K

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 Build 17.0.0.127 blocks home network file sharing

Hi PGKroeger,

This is more than likely due to the older build of Windows 7. Could you check and make sure the Windows Firewall is disabled?

Kudos0

+ you're using an old build. Make sure you install the final version of NIS 2010 (17.0.0.136) before reporting any problems
----------------------------------NIS 20.2.1.22Windows 7 64bit
Kudos0

Thxs for your reply.   As I thought, windows firewall will automatically be blocked once you install NIS.  Going to its settings window, it says essentially 'these settings managed by NIS'.

Peter K

Kudos0

Thxa for your reply.

Old build? downloaded a week ago!  Final version apparently released yesterday.  I'd love to buy it & that's why I asked whether anyone knows if this 'bug' has been eliminated.

Kudos0

NIS 2010 attempts to auto configure itself for your network, but sometimes you may need to override some of those initial settings.  Go into the settings / network settings / trust control, and from there you can indicate computers in your home network which shuld be trusted or not.
Kudos0

@PGKroeger.

Why not download a trial version of NIS2010 and give it a try before buying? You get 30 days of free use;

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/ContentTheme/ThemeID.1313000/pbPage.Trialware_en_US

regards

Kudos0

Good point & I'll do exactly that.
Kudos0

Was out of town for 12 days, that's why the time lag.

Installed final version of NIS 2010, same problem, network would not work.

Spent yesterday about 2 hours with Norton chat service, was once bumped up to supervisor.  Nothing.  Tried all possible variations in Trust Control, no change.

Final statement by supervisor of chat service: "Peter, we informed you that , the network map and supporting of the Norton with the Windows 7 will be fully functional when the full updated version of the Windows 7 is released."  What a cop-out!

Today installed latest verrsion of NIS 2010, noting it's a significantly bigger file tha the one I downloaded on 9/10.  Same thing, maybe even worse, going Windows Explorer > Network with three machines running, DM-6 (main machine Win 7 RC Build 7100) & DM-4 & Toshiba, (both with Vista & Norton 360 approx 8 months old). Now DM-6 itself is no longer listed as 'computer'.  The other two apppear as media devices, but, not as computers, as needed for file sharing.  DM-4 & Toshiba see each other & file sharing is fine.

I'll certainly not pay for this version of NIS 2010, unless I can find a solution.  Does anybody else have this problem?

Peter K

Kudos0

Hello,

Same issue here, I have Norton 2010 build 17.0.0.136 installed on WIndows 7 final version being released to the public and I am unable to share a printer or see the computer (Windows XP with Norton 2010) with the printer on it. I am able to access my server which is WIndows 2003 Server. 

ArmyMason

Kudos0

I have received several assurances by Norton support that this problem will disappear with the final release of Win 7.  Based on that I have bought the latest Norton 360 with downloads to upgrade it for Win7.

Now, you are running with the final release version of Win 7 & you cannot network with other non-Win7 machines?  That Appears to throw those assurances into the wind.

It also makes it a major deficiency of NIS 2010 & the corresponding N 360, which will have to be resolved promptly.  I guess I have to wait till next week, when I get my final release copy of Win 7.

This is discouraging though!

Peter K

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.