• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 - Can no longer add auto-protect exclusions for programs (regression from NIS 2009).

I upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010.  Doing so removed all the exclusions I added to work around the problem NIS 2009 has with Firefox 3.5.2 where it prevents Firefox from writing to it's configuration files some times.  It's still an issue with NIS 2010 as well.

I went to add them back in, but every time I enter a file name I get a:

"Exclusions - You entered an invalid path exclusion" error.

I'm not trying to enter a path.  According to the help file, I can enter single files in the format "myprogram.exe", but doing so generates this error.

Basically I can no longer exclude files from auto-protection for programs in NIS 2010 unless I enter the full path. 

So for example the following work:

C:\Program Files\

\Program Files

C:\Program Files\myprogram.exe

*.exe

The following do not work:

myprogram.exe

myprogram.*

This is a regression from NIS 2009.  Can you please fix this?Message Edited by Morac on 09-09-2009 09:06 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 - Can no longer add auto-protect exclusions for programs (regression from NIS 2009).

I upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010.  Doing so removed all the exclusions I added to work around the problem NIS 2009 has with Firefox 3.5.2 where it prevents Firefox from writing to it's configuration files some times.  It's still an issue with NIS 2010 as well.

I went to add them back in, but every time I enter a file name I get a:

"Exclusions - You entered an invalid path exclusion" error.

I'm not trying to enter a path.  According to the help file, I can enter single files in the format "myprogram.exe", but doing so generates this error.

Basically I can no longer exclude files from auto-protection for programs in NIS 2010 unless I enter the full path. 

So for example the following work:

C:\Program Files\

\Program Files

C:\Program Files\myprogram.exe

*.exe

The following do not work:

myprogram.exe

myprogram.*

This is a regression from NIS 2009.  Can you please fix this?Message Edited by Morac on 09-09-2009 09:06 PM
Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 - Can no longer add auto-protect exclusions for programs (regression from NIS 2009).

I tried to chat with support about this, but One Click Support isn't working currently so while reporting that problem using the web based support, I reported this under the same case number, XXX.

<<Edit: Removed the support case id>>

Message Edited by JerryM on 09-10-2009 12:35 PM
Kudos0

Your SONAR Protection may be set to aggressively.

I had to turn off SONAR Protection to use some of my programs.

You may want to look in the Quarantine and Restore the file from there. It gives an option to add it to the exlclude list.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x
Kudos0

It has nothing to do with Sonar, NIS 2010 simply won't allow exclusions to be added that are in the form of fiilename.ext (no path).  This used to work in NIS 2009 and the help file still indicates that format is valid.  See the following screen shot.  I tried to add "myprogram.exe" just like the help file says and got an error message.

Message Edited by Morac on 09-10-2009 01:10 AM<<Edit: Resized the Image for better view>>
Message Edited by JerryM on 09-10-2009 11:02 AM
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Morac,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

We will take a look at it & will address it in upcomming releases.

Can you please try to use the full path to the application you want to exclude? [or the folder that the applciation is in?]

Kudos0

ViralM wrote:

Hi Morac,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

We will take a look at it & will address it in upcomming releases.

Can you please try to use the full path to the application you want to exclude? [or the folder that the applciation is in?]

Thanks for responding.

The full path exclusion to the application (or folder) works and that what I'm using as a work around. Specifying extensions in the *.ext format works as well.

The only case that doesn't work is when specifying the application filename by itself with no path.  Well filename.* doesn't work either, but I don't know if it ever did. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.