• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 - cannot send Outlook 2003 emails

Windows XP, Outlook 2003, both clean and up to date -  

I have my "immediately send emails" option off such that I can carefully control when they are sent. When I let emails sit in my Outbox untouched, all is well, and I can send them from there whenever I need to with no problem. If I re-open one to alter or even review it, however, it will thereafter forever refuse to be sent - it just sits in my Outbox until it is re-copied into a new message and sent without ever being re-opened. The exact same behavior has been exhibited on both my laptop and desktop since upgrading both from 2007 to 2010. I have dutifully followed instructions to uninstall and reinstall, but both machines still have the same problem. Please toss me a bone here!!!!???? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 - cannot send Outlook 2003 emails

After you reopen an email from your 'Outbox' and amend or view it.

Do you click the 'Send' button to put it back in your outbox ?

If you do, it should be in there, ready to be sent when you click 'send and receive'.

I have the same 'Sending' settings as you, after changing a mail in the  Outbox, I click the send button to put it back in the 'Outbox', and the mail goes when I next click 'Send and Receive'.

Message Edited by boneidle on 19-12-2009 12:18 PMMessage Edited by boneidle on 19-12-2009 12:20 PM
Kudos0

Yes - precisely. Thereafter it reliably REMAINS in the Outbox and will not leave. I recopy these into new messages which then send fine, as long as they too are not opened before sending, whilst the original version remains forever unsent. The problem exists identically in my laptop and desktop.
Kudos0

Hi pallen,

Try turning off outgoing message scanning in NIS (In Network Settings click Configure [+] for Email Antivirus Scan) and see if the issue is resolved.  There is no lessening of your security by doing this as the outgoing scan prevents you from sending viruses, not getting them.

Kudos0

Thanks, but still no cigar - it will not send.
Kudos0

pallen wrote:
Thanks, but still no cigar - it will not send.

That suggests this may not be related to Norton.  There could be other causes such as the ones discussed here (which includes NIS among a list of other software that can cause this):

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm

Message Edited by SendOfJive on 12-19-2009 01:47 PM
Kudos0

Thanks - the only "Applications Responsible" that I have on the list is the one called "Norton Internet Security" - Outlook 2003 worked perfectly with their 2007 version, and when the 2010 version was uninstalled the problem temporarily went away with it.  

This was interesting, but I wish that it was in English -

Since BCM and possibly other add-ins are not listed in the COM add-in list, check

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
  • Export the keys then change the LoadBehavior value to 0 to disconnect an add-in. Restart Outlook and test.

Anyway, the Norton Tech Guy seemed to recognize this problem, but has no solution yet - thought I'd try here in the meantime. Thanks again.

Kudos0

pallen -

Try creating a new Send / Recieve Group (this does not effect your email; it just corrects an internal serror in Outlook2003):

1. On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups
    2. Under Group Name, click the group, and then click Copy.
    3. Under Send/Receive Group Name, type the new group name, and then click OK.
    4. Under Group Name, click the old group name.
    5. Under both When Outlook is Online and When Outlook is Offline, click to clear the check box for Include this group in Send/Receive (F9).
    6. Click Close.
    7. Quit Outlook, and then restart Outlook.

Let us know the progress with this.  You may hae to repair your Office folder and Personal folder but we will hold off on that until this is tried first.

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
    Kudos0

pallen wrote:

This was interesting, but I wish that it was in English -

I'm with you.  Sorry about that. 

Kudos0

Oh, great - same as before, except that now "fresh" messages also do not send.
    Kudos0

And you have the new Group checked to include this in a manual send and recieve?
    Kudos0

All righty then - back to square one after a reboot - I can at least send fresh messages again, but reading outgoing ones dooms them to oblivion.
    Kudos0

Ran through it again - yes, included the new group, no change whatsoever.
    Kudos1 Stats

Try repairing the Inbox (Personal Folders) for Outlook2003.  The MS article on how to do this is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814441.  The section on XP users is towards the bottom of the article.
    Kudos0

Thanks - good suggestion - it found and fixed some errors, but the original problem persists.
    Kudos0

An update - Norton Tech Support has made some valiant efforts at resolving this, but soon began backing away from the problem at full speed, suggesting that it was my ISP or "something else." The problem here (other than the problem simultaneously showing up on two different machines when nothing else had changed) is that I have since uninstalled NIS 2010 AGAIN and the problem immediately disappeared - I can now re-open pending emails in my Outbox, alter them or whatever, and they re-send perfectly thereafter. Norton support has been pretty good until the denials began, but we're now up to the moment of truth here - it is obviously their problem, and shortly we will see if they will take responsibility for it and FIX IT.

Kudos0

Four hours and counting later (still with online support) - uninstalls, Regedits, reinstalls, etc. - the problem continues. These guys have shown no hint that they have the first clue.
    Kudos0

All righty then! A few more hours and two escalations up the on-line support food chain, and some competent honesty was found at last. It was determined that NIS 2010 "may have unknown conflicts" with some long pre-existing and well established programs like Spybot (thorough pre-release testing, anyone?). One more uninstall and an NIS 2009 replacement and I'm back up and running. 2010 looks nice, but I don't think it's nearly ready for prime time yet - beware.

Kudos0

Pallen,

I suspect that your email client would have gone Offline while sending emails. If yes, then your problem seems to be a known issue that Norton employees are working on.

Check out the following thread link:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=74373

Moving back to 09 seems to be an intermediate workaround to this problem.

-MbR

"Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher" - MbR
    Kudos1 Stats

Thanks, but that does not appear to be the answer - all emails in my Outbox will dutifully and smoothly send, except very selectively for any and all that have been re-opened before sending. Worse yet, I experienced the exact same problem when the support guys installed NIS 2009 in place of 2010 - the problem tracked precisely with turning the Norton SPAM filtering off and on (I discovered this myself). Relating to other previous finger-points at Spybot and such (including some directly from Norton support), I've experimented with turning EVERYTHING else off, and it was still consistently a no-go. The conflict (again, it tracks 100% with two different machines of mine plus a solid confirmation from my corporate IT folks - unbelievable man-hours were wasted on this) is clearly between the NIS 2009 and 2010 SPAM filters and Outlook (2003 and 2007). If one must go, it will definitely NOT be Outlook. Again, the Norton support folks were excellent, but the product has a serious problem that has not been addressed. My company and I have agreed that it's not worth having to pay for a major feature that has to be disabled in order to make everything around it work properly. If they ever get this fixed, it would be wonderful to try this product again.

Kudos0

Wheeeee-doggies Uncle Jed - I just ran some full system scans on a test machine, and NIS 2009 missed a few things that both Spybot AND Ad-Aware (both FREE) picked up!!!

Paul Allen (great name, huh?)

Message Edited by pallen on 12-29-2009 09:04 PM
    Kudos0

I have had the exact same problem, though I did not have the problem at all with NIS 2009.  The emails in Outlook 2003 would not send if I "took another look" once I installed NIS 2010.  Your solution to turn off the junk filter was a very big help to me - emails can be viewed and sent again just like before.  Much better than having to revert to NIS 2009.  Thank you!
    Kudos0

Glad I could help - wish I could have gotten either NIS 2009 or 2010 to work properly (we toyed with it on half a dozen similarly configured machines of various vintages and the problem was consistent throughout), but by being creative in setting up my own Outlook 2003 / 2007 junk mail rules I've been able to do a vastly better job than NIS was capable of anyway. I still love the "look and feel" of both NIS 2009 and 2010 (I had previously been using 2007 - yuk city) but between the email problem and its failure to find some things that it should have (considering the hefty price) I'll remain extremely cautious of relying on it - just not ready for prime time yet.

Kudos0

Hi Pallen

Both Spybot and Adaware have realtime parts that conflict with your Norton product. If you want to run another on demand scanner that doesn't interfere with your Norton product, then you can use the free versions of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
    Kudos0

Thanks - please note my 12/19 post:

"I've experimented with turning EVERYTHING else off, and it was still consistently a no-go."

Also, we have discovered that the Norton misses several things that others appear to pick up.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Pallen

Having the other programs can interfere with your Norton product installation and the running of it even if they are turned off. The presence of the other parts of spybot for instance Tea Timer can interfere with corrections that have to be made to the registry. Adaware has a part of the program which still runs even if the program is disabled.

No security program is going to be able to catch everything. No one program is perfect. Malware is constantly changing. Spybot is behind the times by having only updates once a week. The engines of the various programs look for different things in different ways. We recommend scans with other programs because no one program is perfect, but we recommend programs which don't have parts in them that will interfere with the Norton products. If you would run malwarebytes free version right after you ran spybot for example, it would find different things than spybot found.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
    Kudos0

Yes, thanks - one more time again to clarify one more time yet again. One of our machines was in fact freed of what was alleged to be the running cuplrits and on another they were completely uninstalled, but again, the problems noted persisted. My IT folks have since precisely duplicated this on a brand new out-of-the box PC as well, so in this particular case, other similar software interference (aside from Outlook) are off of this table.

In any case, Neither Malwarebytes nor Norton found the most common problems that we found on a test machine, whereas Spybot (even with their pitiful update schedule noted) did. My personal preference would have been for a more thorough testing of Norton (the high dollar product) before its release, knowing that the well established Spybot (an antique and popular freebie) had long been out there. Following the Rodney King example, it would have been best for us all to get along without the beatings.

In short, I'll use whatever works for the purposes for which I need them. For example, I have a van, a four cylinder clunker and an antique Corvette, the latter with a 454 engine and a killer blower. When I need cargo space the van is fired up, for everyday it's the cheapie, and for fun it's the 'Vette. Same deal here - Norton looks great and has a slick interface, and with some work it will be able to get me to the grocery store and haul its own weight. The Nile is a river in Egypt - hopefully the problem noted will be FIXED such and the need for excuses eliminated such that we'll all be happy again.

Kudos0

Here's quite a brain-teaser - one of my machines that has yet to actually be connected on-line (security issues - NOYB long story)  has just yielded an NIS 2009 report of an intrusion, a full system scan, and of course a successful cleanup of the threat thereafter. Interesting - something smells awfully not so funny here.............................  
    Kudos0

Here is the cause of the problem:

When anybody touches a message in the outbox (a user by opening it, an add-in by accessing it), Outlook clears the "Sent" header. You can see that inspecting a value in the "Sent" column. Instead of the time you sent a message it becomes "None". Outlook will not attempt to send such emails.

A work around:

Just resend a message from Outbox that you opened. When a message is opened, instead of closing it just click the "Send" button. That will set the "Sent" header again. Next time Outlook is sending messages (automatically or by the "Send/Receive" button) the message will be sent.

The problem and the solution described above is not specific to any particular add-in. It is specific to MS Outlook application in general.

Kudos0

victor_k, what you describe is how I routinely send messages on those occasions when I happen to want to review them from the outbox - that is simply how Outlook works.  That was not the case with the problem I had after I installed NIS 2010.  No amount of "send" would help.  The message was stuck in the outbox and the icon forever indicated it was open as though I had not pressed the send.  I had to copy the message body, then start a new message, send that, then delete the one stuck in the outbox.  Removing the Norton spam filter feature from my email took care of the problem and all works normally now, so this indicates to me that there is a conflict with the Norton spam filter and Outlook 2003.

Kudos0

This problem has been going on for years, through several NIS and Outlook versions. It manifests itself in two ways for me: (1) Some emails simply will not send . . . ever . . . no pattern, and (2) if I click on Outbox one or more emails in that folder may or may not change from italicized to not italicized, ie, not ready to send. Once that happens, no amount of "sending" will get them out the door either.

There is, however, a very simple workaround:

Drag any no-send email from the Outbox to the folder "Drafts". Then click on Drafts, double-click on the email, click send, and voila! It will be sent.

Message Edited by Twoboxer on 01-05-2010 01:27 AM
    Kudos0

victor_k - dms was exactly correct - no amount of "re-sending" would make the emails go, unless the original message was recopied into an entirely new one and sent "untouched".  With NIS spam filtering turned off, however, it works perfectly - I can review or alter pending emails and they send perfectly thereafter. I went through this several times in "remote control" mode with Norton Tech Support, and it seemed that they could not believe what they were seeing either. To overcome a problem we must first recognize its existence, and that has been my only complaint with Norton thus far. They need to take ownership of this and fix it, period.

Twoboxer - thanks immensely for the tip, I'll try it this weekend. I don't think that paying customers should have to do this to make a high dollar product work correctly with Outlook, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Note that I did not in fact have the problem with the Norton 2007 software - it worked perfectly, but I was instructed that I "must" upgrade to the problematic 2010 version. 

Kudos0

Sorry for the huge delay - numerous personal family issues and such. Anyway, moving altered e-mails to the Drafts folder works perfecly, and I cannot possibly thank you enough. Symantec still desperately needs to FIX the problem, as well as the massively lame SPAM filter. My simple Outlook 2003 "Rules" have run rings around their ostensibly nonexistent efforts.

Still, Paul Allen is a pretty cool REAL NAME (hint?) to have.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.