• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 haven't used all installations but none remain

Hi

I have Internet Security 2010/Norton Utilities 3 PCs on a Windows XP machine and have renewed automatically since then. The software has updated but I have the original 2010 box and discs. I also recently bought a laptop which I'd like to install NIS on.

I haven't used up the three installations yet but my account states I have none remaining and would need to buy a product key for £44.99. My Norton subscription has recently renewed at a cost of £49.00 and I should have two remaining installations.

Maybe there's a time limit.  Any help appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 haven't used all installations but none remain

The time clock on a product key starts with the first installation of using that key. If you first installed in 2010, then all installations using that key expired in 2011.

As you used the automatic renewal, you should be able to just log into your Norton Account from the new installation on your laptop. Click on Help - Subscription Status, and it should pick up your remaining time and activate your product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply. Regarding a new installation on my laptop, would I need to download the free trial version of Norton Security and then activate it?

The version on my original disc isn't compatible with Windows 8.1.

Kudos0

How many days left does your current installation have?

What version of Windows does your new system have?

If you have 2010 and have been renewing it, the most recent version that key will work on is 2013.  The newer versions take a different key.

If your current key has a lot of time left you should sign into manage.norton.com and free up the 2 unused activations and use one for your new install with NIS 2013.

Dave

Kudos0

About a year remaining on the XP installation.

Windows 8.1 on the new system.

I've freed up an installation but it still says I have no remaining installations. I was hoping to be able to download Norton  Security under my existing subscription to avoid paying twice.  I think I'll have to buy a new copy for the laptop as it's a lot cheaper than a new key.

Kudos0

From the Services tab on the Norton  Management web site,click on your current subscription and click on the Download button in your current subscription. Then follow the directions to install a preactivated copy of your Norton product.

You can ensure you have the right subscription by selecting Active beside Show on the Services page.

Kudos0

Thanks. Yes, doing exactly that from my new machine but message states 'Norton Internet Security has no remaining installs'.

The only install I have on the active subscription is the one on my XP PC. It doesn't seem to recognize the original 1 user, 3 PCs.

I could free up the XP installation as it's an old machine that I'll be replacing soon but not sure if doing that will work as I've already removed one which should leave two free. 

Also it says '1 of 1 seat used'. Don't know if that's relevant.

Kudos0

Also it says '1 of 1 seat used'. Don't know if that's relevant

That is relevant and explains it all. At some time you seem to have purchased a 1 PC version. Does the 2010 box you have specifically say it is for 1 user, 3 PCs? There are versions that only cover one PC.

If you believe you got the wrong product, you might try contacting Norton Support via chat and see if they can arrange to change your product to a muliple device version. They have access to your account details and can explain what has happened.

www.norton.com/chat

Please let us know what you find.

Kudos0

Box says '3 PCs / 1 Year Protection' and I haven't purchased any other hard copy version or key since. I've only renewed my subscription.

Maybe the 3 PC option is only valid for one year and all renewals and updates since the initial install are for 1 PC only.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

All sorted now. I contacted Norton Support via chat as suggested and they offered me Norton Security Premium for ten devices and installed it remotely onto my laptop. Great service from Norton.

Thanks for the help.

Kudos0

Glad to hear you found a solution.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.