• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2010 - Technical diffference between Early Load and Automatic Tasks Delay?

Hi -

What is the actual difference?

Thanks.

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NIS 2010 - Technical diffference between Early Load and Automatic Tasks Delay?

Hi-

From the help file:

Automatic Tasks Delay

Automatic Tasks Delay lets you delay the startup of Norton Internet Security tasks such as LiveUpdate that run automatically when you turn on your computer. You can set the automatic tasks delay time after which you want Norton Internet Security to run the tasks.

If the Norton-specific automatic tasks start as soon as you start your computer, the performance of your computer might become slow. Delaying the startup time for such automatic tasks improves the performance and efficiency of your computer.

For example, you set the automatic tasks delay duration as 5 minutes. In this case, the automatic tasks run automatically after 5 minutes from the time you started your computer. You can delay the startup time for a minimum of 1 minute to a maximum of 10 minutes. The default duration is 10 minutes.

Early Load

Starts Auto-Protect when you start your computer

You should turn on this option for maximum protection.

----"you better watch out for the whiplash!! thank you for taking the time to read my signature lol! ;]" -- Kaiser Wilhelm
Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 - Technical diffference between Early Load and Automatic Tasks Delay?

Plankton wrote:

Hi -

What is the actual difference?

Thanks.

Early load allows for the early load of auto-protect when Windows starts i.e. AV protection.

Automatic tasks Delay does exactly what it says, it delays things like liveupdate. etc from running.

There is an excellent, fuller, explanation in the product help system.

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

Hi -

Where are you getting this information from? ;0)

I am in SETTINGS-COMPUTER SETTINGS-REAL TIME PROTECTION. I then click on the question mark at the top of the at category.

I do not even see Early Load listed on the left panel.

Could you kindly confirm/deny?

TIA :0) 

Plankton - MCSE, CSQE     - NIS 2009 • NIS 2010 -Windows XP • Vista • 7 • IE 8
Kudos0

The Automatic Time Delay waits, for example, ten minutes after you log on or start-up the computer before Running the Background Jobs; having this On allows your computer to Load applications without being slowed down by your Security Product. 

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Plankton wrote:

Hi -

Where are you getting this information from? ;0)

I am in SETTINGS-COMPUTER SETTINGS-REAL TIME PROTECTION. I then click on the question mark at the top of the at category.

I do not even see Early Load listed on the left panel.

Could you kindly confirm/deny?

TIA :0) 

It is listed in the auto-protect section
We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone
Kudos0

My understanding is that early load turns on AV auto-protect before the computer goes online to the Internet on start-up.  Is this correct?
Kudos1 Stats

mdoc7 wrote:
My understanding is that early load turns on AV auto-protect before the computer goes online to the Internet on start-up.  Is this correct?

No; it - Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect - starts at the Windows-Loading Screen when you turn on your computer.  This will enable your Norton Product to Detect and Remove Threats before they start Running on your computer, which, by the time the Threat Files start Running, your Norton Product may not be able to Detect Threats, if they were actually Running on your computer.

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 10-08-2009 08:06 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 10-08-2009 08:19 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 10-08-2009 08:33 PMMessage Edited by Floating_Red on 10-08-2009 08:34 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Hm, that's even better.  Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.