• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2010 Toolbar and IPS in Firefox 3.5.2, etc.

So, apparently the problem with the NIS add-ons in Firefox has not been fixed in NIS 2010 (17.0.0.136). I haven't been running NIS for a couple months now because I switched solely to Windows 7 RC and RTM. It's been great, actually. Firefox never crashed, my machines were blazing fast, and I felt perfectly secure using the beta release of Microsoft Security Essentials (one of the few antivirus products that worked with Windows 7 when I started using it). Now that NIS 2010 is out (I was somehow able to download it late last night through the update center), I decided to install NIS again and see how it runs. Well, it's very disappointing. Firefox crashes on a regular basis and it takes at least 20 seconds longer to boot my machines, not to mention the general slowdown while using the machine. Windows Explorer stopped responding just a few minutes ago. First time that's happened in Windows 7.

Basically, what the heck?! I mean, I decided to pay for what I thought to be a great antivirus security suite, and while I do appreciate many of the features included with NIS, it is not fun dealing with the Firefox headache (I guess I'll just disable the toolbar and IPS...I hate toolbars, anyway) and my now slow machines. It's strange because NIS isn't using a lot of system resources, but it seems like everything just takes a little longer to respond with NIS installed. It's probably because of the real-time protection features (SONAR?). I think this feature might be a little overkill for most users security needs, or at least mine, anyway.

Anyway, the whole point of my post is really just to see if anyone else is experiencing some of the same issues and if anyone has any suggestions. I'm close to ditching Norton, again, and using something else (probably MSE). I really don't want to since I paid for it, but I hate dealing with this crap.

[edit: Please keep post content clean per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Message Edited by shannons on 09-08-2009 07:42 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2010 Toolbar and IPS in Firefox 3.5.2, etc.

So, apparently the problem with the NIS add-ons in Firefox has not been fixed in NIS 2010 (17.0.0.136). I haven't been running NIS for a couple months now because I switched solely to Windows 7 RC and RTM. It's been great, actually. Firefox never crashed, my machines were blazing fast, and I felt perfectly secure using the beta release of Microsoft Security Essentials (one of the few antivirus products that worked with Windows 7 when I started using it). Now that NIS 2010 is out (I was somehow able to download it late last night through the update center), I decided to install NIS again and see how it runs. Well, it's very disappointing. Firefox crashes on a regular basis and it takes at least 20 seconds longer to boot my machines, not to mention the general slowdown while using the machine. Windows Explorer stopped responding just a few minutes ago. First time that's happened in Windows 7.

Basically, what the heck?! I mean, I decided to pay for what I thought to be a great antivirus security suite, and while I do appreciate many of the features included with NIS, it is not fun dealing with the Firefox headache (I guess I'll just disable the toolbar and IPS...I hate toolbars, anyway) and my now slow machines. It's strange because NIS isn't using a lot of system resources, but it seems like everything just takes a little longer to respond with NIS installed. It's probably because of the real-time protection features (SONAR?). I think this feature might be a little overkill for most users security needs, or at least mine, anyway.

Anyway, the whole point of my post is really just to see if anyone else is experiencing some of the same issues and if anyone has any suggestions. I'm close to ditching Norton, again, and using something else (probably MSE). I really don't want to since I paid for it, but I hate dealing with this crap.

[edit: Please keep post content clean per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Message Edited by shannons on 09-08-2009 07:42 PM
Kudos0

Booting will always take longer if you add something that is not MS.  However, I have had no problems at all with FF 3.5.x and NIS2010.  My system is Vista SP2 Home Premium 32bit.  Could be the difference.
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

I agree that boot times will generally increase as more software is installed on the system. However, it's reasonable to assume that if the machine experiences a noticeable slowdown after installing an application, it is likely that particular application that is the culprit. Honestly, I hadn't noticed as much of a slowdown with NIS 2009 back when I was running Vista. In Windows 7, the difference is huge. I'm not joking about the extra 20 (or so) seconds of boot time.

The FF issue is just plain annoying. I have been dealing with this for months. Firefox 3.0.x crashed all the time before I (and many other people) figured out is was the fault of NIS. Then Firefox 3.5 came out and the add-ons didn't work at all. The hotfix that arrived later just introduced the problem again (only worse), albeit with IPS being incompatible and disabled. And now it appears that even the latest versions have done nothing address this very old issue. I've had this Firefox issue in XP, Vista, and 7. It would just be nice if there were a solid fix.

Kudos0

Hi,
We would like to get some additional information about your system configuration if possible.

1.       Which version of windows are you currently using?

2.       Which version of Firefox are you currently using?

3.       Which Firefox Extension(s) / Plugin(s) besides Norton IPS and Norton Toolbar do you have installed? You can find all the listed installed Extension(s)/Plugin(s) under (Tools->Add-ons in Firefox ) . Please list all of the extension(s) and plugin(s) and the version of those extension(s) / Plugin(s)

4.       Which version of the Norton Toolbar do you currently have installed? You can find the version number under (Tools->Addons in Firefox, Extensions)

5.       Did you upgrade from NIS 2009 to NIS2010 or did you install NIS 2010 installed on a “clean” PC without any prior security suite installed on the PC?

6.       Did you change any of the default settings in Firefox? If yes please list which settings you modified and their current value.

7.       Is the crash reproducible? Is it only on certain Web Pages that you see the crash? Please list the steps on how to reproduce the crash or the problematic webpages.

8.       If you enable “Norton Toolbar” but disable all the other extensions do you still see the crash?

Your help in resolving this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jens Sorensen

Symantec Corp.

Kudos0

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit along with FF 3.5.3 and have experienced no problems at all.
Kudos0

I run FF 3.5.3 under Windows XP SP3 and haven't seen any crashes.  The Norton addons do add some "bloat" to FF in that FF uses more memory when first loading up and it takes slightly longer to load, but large addons tend to do that.
Kudos0

Hi

I have two machines:

Desktop PC  - Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2

Laptop - Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

Both have Firefox 3.5.3 and NIS 2010

Neither have a problem with FF toolbar.  I suggest there is a problem with the original poster's set up.  It's certainly not a problem with NIS 2010.

Myrm
Kudos0

I upgraded to NIS2010 from NIS2009 and my FF 3.5 didin't even start. I have to now keep it disabled. I started FF in safe mode disabled all addons and then enabled all the addons except Norton (Norton IPS 2.0 , Norton Toolbar 4.0) only then I was able to start FF.

FF Version 3.5.3

NIS 2010 Version 17.0.0.136

Windows XP SP3 Build 2600 - 32 Bit

Message Edited by prashantrana on 09-23-2009 10:31 PM
Kudos0

I am using NIS 2010 on Windows 7 *86 and Windows 7 *64,both with the latest version of firefox, and I can confirm I have had NO issues.

A great product - works really well for me. Sorry to hear some are having issues.. 

Windows 10 *64 TP - Lastest Official - Fast Channel.
Kudos0

Unfortunately, I can repeat this posting word for word:

"I upgraded to NIS2010 from NIS2009 and my FF 3.5 didin't even start. I have to now keep it disabled. I started FF in safe mode disabled all addons and then enabled all the addons except Norton (Norton IPS 2.0 , Norton Toolbar 4.0) only then I was able to start FF.

FF Version 3.5.3

Windows XP SP3 Build 2600 - 32 Bit"

I'm getting to the stage that every time a Norton update is offered I dread the effects it is going to have on my other products, particularly Firefox.  I've been around since the internet began and I have seen a lot of browsers come and go and there is nothing to compare to the great features of Firefox and its addons.  If Norton continues down this path ie. ignoring the fact that 25% of internet users use Firefox, then I'll have to make a choice between NIS and Firefox, and I know which one will win.

Kudos0

"I upgraded to NIS2010 from NIS2009 and my FF 3.5 didin't even start. I have to now keep it disabled. I started FF in safe mode disabled all addons and then enabled all the addons except Norton (Norton IPS 2.0 , Norton Toolbar 4.0) only then I was able to start FF."

FF Version 3.5.3

Windows XP SP3 Build 2600 - 32 Bit

Same here but its a fresh install of NIS2010 on a brand new clean install of XP and FF 3.5.3...

Installed Extensions:

ForecastFox

AdBlock Plus

Update Notifier

Extended Statusbar

Internet Download Manager

AI Roboform

ONLY way FF will load is with IPS 2.0 and Toolbar 4.0 DISABLED

HELP!

EDIT:  SAME PROBLEM in IE8 - IE will not load unless TOOLBAR, BHO, and IPS DISABLED!

Message Edited by Silvrcloud2003 on 10-09-2009 08:08 PM
Kudos0

Do you have AI Roboform in both FF and IE8?
Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

No crashing problems, only missing Add-ons. After reinstalling Firefox, I'm missing Norton IPS and Norton Toolbar. I can't find where to reinstall these add-ons. Seems quite silly there's no seperate add-on download on firefox or nortons sites. Updating doesn't do anything either. If I uninstall and reisntall Norton, I can get it, but it still seems a bit extreme to uninstall Norton.

1. Windows XP SP2

2. Firefox v3.5.3

3. adblock plus
all-in-one gestures
all-in-one sidebar
cleo
coolris
coolpreviews
deeperweb for google
downthemall
dragdropupload
download statusbar
fast dial
febe
fire.fm
flash video resources downloader
flashgot
foxtab
greasemonkey
jdownff
locator
multiple tab handler
norton ips
norton toolbar
personas
quickdrag
ruwt? sports toolbar
skipscreen
smarterfox
speed dial
tab mix plus
tineye image search
tv-fox
video downloadhelper
xmarks

4. No idea, after reinstalling Firefox, they weren't there. They only show up if I uninstall and reinstall Norton.

5. Clean Norton Internet Security 2010 isntall.

6. "Always ask me where to save files", "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it imediately". Both the only two adjustments I've made.

7. No crashes, missing Norton IPS and Norton Toolbar after reinstalling Firefox.

8. N/A

Message Edited by Bad213Boy on 10-13-2009 04:52 PMMessage Edited by Bad213Boy on 10-13-2009 04:53 PM
Kudos0

Hi Silvrcloud2003,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for reporting the issue.

Please check my private message to you with a request for more information (see the upper right of any Norton Community page for a link to your messages).

Thanks,

Zohreh

Kudos0

Same exact problem here.

I use NIS 2010 under Vista Ultimate 64bit and Firefox 3.5.4.

Since I installed NIS 2010 Firefox crashes like crazy: again and again and again every session, and it takes 10 seconds or more to launch. Same with booting the machine: it takes 30 seconds more with NIS 2010 installed.

Moreover, now that I reinstalled Firefox, I can't get my Norton Toolbar back: I have NIS 2010 installed, but I can't use  Identity safe feature fill form with Firefox because no toolbar appears in the browser.

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Kudos0

I, too, cannot get the Toolbar to appear nor can I use Identity-Safe. Everything was fine until NIS 2010 ran an autoupdate yesterday morning. My FF version when this happened was 3.5.2. I upgraded to 3.5.4 later yesterday hoping it would help. It did not work. I would like to have my Identity-Safe back.

Thanks,

wrnoof

Kudos0

wrnoof:

There is a thread on this issue. The latest patch (17.1.0.14) pushed out to NIS 2010 caused this problem and was pulled back from the servers after the problem became apparent. Symantec is working on a fix to get the Norton add-ons running again in Firefox:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=83448

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 10-29-2009 01:33 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.