• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Is NIS 2011 compatible with Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0?

Microsoft released the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0 which is designed to work around 0 day exploits in the wild such as the current Adobe Flash and Reader exploits.

Is this program compatible with NIS2011?

<<Edit: Subject edited for clarity>>

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Is NIS 2011 compatible with Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0?

Hi Morac:

I can see some issues developing with it.  This is part of a writeup in TechWorld.

"The toolkit can be a great boost to your PCs security, then, but you must use it with care. Some apps don't take kindly to having DEP or ASLR forced upon them, and may crash - if this happens with a driver, your PC may no longer boot properly unless you use Safe Mode.

And as a result, the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit really isn't for complete PC novices, and even knowledgeable PC users should be sure to read the full Users Guide before applying any of its tweaks to their system."

The download is also available here in the article.

http://download.techworld.com/3214165/microsoft-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit-2001/?intcmp=ros-md-dl-tp

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: Is NIS 2011 compatible with Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0?

I'm using it, however not with NIS but with NAV2011.

I made a note of the initial settings in EMET.

I then changed its settings to 'recommended settings', rebooted and no problems during the whole day with a couple of reboots and power off/power on cycles in between.

I then changed the settings to 'max.security' , did the same as above and still no problems whatsoever.

After that I added one program to the list at the lower half of the EMET GUI: Internet Explorer with its full path.

Just today I added Firefox with its full path.

I don't have any problems experienced yet.

I'm running W7 Professional - 32bit.

I do have complete system images available.

Kudos0

I went ahead and installed it.  It looks like it's not really a memory resident program.  Instead it uses the AppPatch mechasnim to implement DLL hooking instead.  It doesn't attach to any programs by default so it looks safe to use.

I have XP so I can't force DEP or ASRL anyway.

Kudos0

Hello

As with any new program like that, I would recommend first trying it on a test computer and not on your main computer.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.