• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2011 conflicts with recent Windows Updates.

Hi! All,

After recieving the latest updates from Microsoft I have noticed that there seems to be a conflict with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 update and its related securtiy patch/ hotfix updates & NIS 2011.  I now contiously recieve the error 3052,2 which as most know indicates that NIS needs to be reinstalled which I've done multiple times already; I even went as far as to completely wipe the hard drive (DOD & Low-level format type wipe) and re-install everything including Windows.  This issue even prevents the log-on of Windows if the system is left idle at Log-On screen for more than 2 minutes w/ just NIS 2011 installed.

The system has: Windows XP Professional SP3 32-Bit, P4 Prescott HT 3.0, 2.5GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive.

Other installed security software: Windows Defender (Real-Time components disabled used as On-Demand Scanner), MBAM Free, SAS Free, Spybot Search & Destroy (TeaTimer disabled used as On-Demand Scanner), Ad-Aware Professional 9.0.3 (tuned specifically for the system configuration; actually extends the time for Log-On to 8 minutes idle time before Log-On lock out), and the MRT from Microsoft.

Have done multiple tests with/ without each installed alongside NIS 2011 with no change; except for the previously mentioned exception with Ad-Aware. And yes, I know shame on me for having so much Anti-Malware; I've just witnessed to many times where each one will catch something malicious that the others don't even register as existing on the machine that's why I use them all. We all know that no single Anti-Malware program is going to catch 100% of malware.

All programs have been used and no malware was found on the system; if weren't for the nVidia driver & Windows Live software reliance on the previously mentioned Windows Updates from Microsoft I'd remove the offending updates; the system was quite stable until those arrived.

Tech83  :)

P.S. Yes, I do realize my methods are not classified as normal but hey I'm just trying something different. And no, configuring Ad-Aware (and the other programs) to work with NIS without conflict isn't easy but neither is life (if it were all easy life would be boring & I'd be out of a career field).

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 conflicts with recent Windows Updates.

Hi! All,

After recieving the latest updates from Microsoft I have noticed that there seems to be a conflict with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 update and its related securtiy patch/ hotfix updates & NIS 2011.  I now contiously recieve the error 3052,2 which as most know indicates that NIS needs to be reinstalled which I've done multiple times already; I even went as far as to completely wipe the hard drive (DOD & Low-level format type wipe) and re-install everything including Windows.  This issue even prevents the log-on of Windows if the system is left idle at Log-On screen for more than 2 minutes w/ just NIS 2011 installed.

The system has: Windows XP Professional SP3 32-Bit, P4 Prescott HT 3.0, 2.5GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive.

Other installed security software: Windows Defender (Real-Time components disabled used as On-Demand Scanner), MBAM Free, SAS Free, Spybot Search & Destroy (TeaTimer disabled used as On-Demand Scanner), Ad-Aware Professional 9.0.3 (tuned specifically for the system configuration; actually extends the time for Log-On to 8 minutes idle time before Log-On lock out), and the MRT from Microsoft.

Have done multiple tests with/ without each installed alongside NIS 2011 with no change; except for the previously mentioned exception with Ad-Aware. And yes, I know shame on me for having so much Anti-Malware; I've just witnessed to many times where each one will catch something malicious that the others don't even register as existing on the machine that's why I use them all. We all know that no single Anti-Malware program is going to catch 100% of malware.

All programs have been used and no malware was found on the system; if weren't for the nVidia driver & Windows Live software reliance on the previously mentioned Windows Updates from Microsoft I'd remove the offending updates; the system was quite stable until those arrived.

P.S. Yes, I do realize my methods are not classified as normal but hey I'm just trying something different. And no, configuring Ad-Aware (and the other programs) to work with NIS without conflict isn't easy but neither is life (if it were all easy life would be boring & I'd be out of a career field).

Kudos0

if you  uninstall the   windows update what would happen.

microsoft critical updates can cause programs to malfunction.

example

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/vcgeneral/thread/81bd0f9b-f4b9-4fec-925c-42bae8830002

Security Update KB2467174 kills Windows 2000 compatibility of mfc90.dll

Remember critical updates can cause problems.

Kudos0

Hello Tech

I'm running xp pro service pack 3 32 bit with all the latest windows updates and I don't seem to have any problems like you are describing. Of course I don't have all those antimalware programs as you have. The free version of malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are enough for me and of course NIS 2011..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Hi! North450,

Un-installing the affected updates causes my graphics, sound, and motherboard chipset drivers to stop functioning properly (found this out on a re-test of the issue)

So I am confident in saying that the updates are staying whether it's liked or not.

Tech83 :)

Kudos0

Hi! Floplot,

Did you recieve the previously listed updates?  Your statement makes me curious as to whether or not I got a corrupted installer for these updates; therefore causing me my headache. I've also notified the other security product manufacters' tech support of the issue so hopefully if one of their products is responsible it can be fixed.

I use several anti-malware programs because I've been through a few infestations and each program played a key role in disinfecting the system plus it makes it harder for a single malware item to be able to block all my anti-malware programs. (I hope.)   ;)

Kudos0

Hello Tech

I received all the windows updates including some for Office.. I still think you have too many antimalware programs installed. I'm thinking along the lines that internally, they may cause problems the same way as running 2 antivirus programs at the same time. I realize they are being used as on demand scanners, but I think still too many of them. What is used to clean up malware doesn't mean that they have to stay on your computer to keep it clean.

If you look at the free removal sites, they tell people to use certain programs to clean up their computers. After the computer is all cleaned up, they also tell you how do delete those programs.  Most malware can be prevented by practicing safe surfing rather than by having a ton of antimalware programs installed.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Tech83

Agree with you.

Would you know the kb number of the update.

Kudos0

I'm running XP HE SP3 32 bit with all the latest windows updates and I don't have any problems with NIS 2011. I use only the free version of MBAM......

Kudos0

Ad-Aware Professional 9.0.3 (tuned specifically for the system configuration; actually extends the time for Log-On to 8 minutes idle time before Log-On lock out),

I suspect this is the problem. Adaware historically has had problems co-existing with the various versions of Symantec autoprotect.

Kudos0

Tech83 wrote:

Hi! North450,

Un-installing the affected updates causes my graphics, sound, and motherboard chipset drivers to stop functioning properly (found this out on a re-test of the issue)

So I am confident in saying that the updates are staying whether it's liked or not.

That sounds like you may have installed the Windows Update optional hardware updates .... is that so.

Personally I don't since they often are out of date when you look at the meagre information in the More Information screen -- like an HP printer driver update issued in 2009 when the current HP driver is 5.2.6 18 Feb 2011

I would go to your PC maker's website (or components if you built it) and download their current drivers for your hardware and OS and then use device manager to replace the drivers by not selecting the Let Windows find and install action.

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Hi! All,

I recieved an update to the Microsoft SilverLight browser add-on and it seems to resolved the issue I was experiencing.  I only use drivers from the device manufacturer (in this nVidia GeForce drivers).  My system even seems to be performing faster with this new update.  Currently have nVidia GeForce 270.61 device drivers installed.

Kudos0

Ah yes -- I got a nag about that one yesterday but didn't have time to see what it was about!

Chalk up another problem caused by Microsoft ......

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.