• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2011 DVD case?

I went to my local Wal-mart to find a copy of NIS 2011 to renew our trial subscription on our PC. They had a copy of NIS 2011 1-year 3 PC's in a DVD case for $35.00. I bought it, but it felt odd, considering it was substantially cheaper than other places. So I was just wondering if this was what I needed to get or if it's something different. Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 DVD case?

I would not worry buyuing from a reputable store like Walmart ... and it is on sale at discounts at stores at present, perhaps in part because the next Upgrade, the 2012 version, should be out very shortly.

But do not worry, with a valid subscription you get free upgrades during the duration of your subscription so you are OK.

Do you have NIS on your computer at the moment? If so is it the same NIS? If not what brand are you using since it is essential to clean up the installation using special tools that we can point you to before installing Norton (or any security program) or you will have problems.

So please let us know what you have at present, before doing anything with what you bought.

Hugh
Kudos0

Yes, we have NIS on this computer. I believe we have a pre-installed trial that's expected to expire in a matter of days. I covered the specifics in this forum here.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2011-for-1-user/td-p/509088/page/2

Another thing I find curious is, on the front is a sticker that says "For purchase only with a new Laptop or Desktop PC." I grew suspicious and asked one of the employees if I could buy it on its own, or if i needed a new computer and he said I could buy it separately. Is that true, or is this product something different?

Kudos0

caleb89sw wrote:

[ ... ]

Another thing I find curious is, on the front is a sticker that says "For purchase only with a new Laptop or Desktop PC." I grew suspicious and asked one of the employees if I could buy it on its own, or if i needed a new computer and he said I could buy it separately. Is that true, or is this product something different?

That is odd since that sounds like an OEM or System Builder version and they are not normally on sale at places like Walmart ... but since you can buy a new laptop or PC from them maybe they are allowed to sell them.

Is this the package that says 3 PCs since that was a main part of the other thread. ?

Whether you can use this KEY to activate the trial installation you refer to in the other thread I do not know -- is that your intentaion? You may have to just try it and see and if it won't then you may have to unisntall the trial land install the one you bought and then update it .... And if nothing works get your money back from Walmart.

Symantec do have a 60 day money back warranty but I'm pretty sure they would not apply it to this circumstance and you'd have to rely on Walmart

Can you clarify all this?

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

caleb89sw wrote:

[ ... ]

That is odd since that sounds like an OEM or System Builder version and they are not normally on sale at places like Walmart ... but since you can buy a new laptop or PC from them maybe they are allowed to sell them.

Is this the package that says 3 PCs since that was a main part of the other thread. ?

Yes. This one says "1 Year protection for up to 3 PC's

huwyngr wrote:

Whether you can use this KEY to activate the trial installation you refer to in the other thread I do not know -- is that your intentaion? You may have to just try it and see and if it won't then you may have to unisntall the trial land install the one you bought and then update it .... And if nothing works get your money back from Walmart.

Symantec do have a 60 day money back warranty but I'm pretty sure they would not apply it to this circumstance and you'd have to rely on Walmart

Can you clarify all this?

My intention was to purchase a retail version of NIS 2011, regardless if it was 1 PC or 3 PC on account of the fact we only have one, and recieve a year's subscription to NIS 2011 before our current trial expired. However, I am unsure whether or not this is what I want. I haven't opened it yet, so if this is the wrong version, I'd like to know soon so I can hopefully return it with no problems.  

Kudos0

Given that you got it at Walmart and not from some unknown on the Internet I'd be inclined to try using the KEY to activate your trial installation 2 or 3 days before the trial period ends. I've used similar versions of Windows to install with no problems.

If it refuses to accept the KEY that could be from the nature of the trial installation itself or from the KEY.

If that happens you could uninstall the trial and clean up with the Norton Removal Tool that we can point you to download and then install from the disk you bought and activate that with the KEY from the package. If that activates OK you can run LiveUpdate until it tells you that you are fully uptodate with 18.6.0.29 which is current until the 2012 is released, very likely soon now. You will be able to update to that for free with a valid subscription. Or if 2012 comes out before you do this we can give you a link to download that and activate it with your 2011 KEY and save a lot of updating.

It's up to you but if you are really worried you could check back with Walmart saying you have checked this out with the Norton Forums and since the only way you can know what happens is to open the package will they refund your money if it then turns out not to install properly ....

But I don't think I'd worry too much. Just give yourself enough time before the trial runs out to be able to take the extra steps if you need to.

And check back here in case anyone knows anything more definite about this version.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Given that you got it at Walmart and not from some unknown on the Internet I'd be inclined to try using the KEY to activate your trial installation 2 or 3 days before the trial period ends. I've used similar versions of Windows to install with no problems.

If it refuses to accept the KEY that could be from the nature of the trial installation itself or from the KEY.

So, if this is a trial version, would it work the same as a year's subscription? Also, where would the product KEY be located on the DVD?

Kudos0

caleb89sw wrote:

huwyngr wrote:

So, if this is a trial version, would it work the same as a year's subscription? Also, where would the product KEY be located on the DVD?

What you have on your PC may be a trial version but what is on your CD/DVD should be a normal version but in general there is no difference between a trial and a fully activated version except how long they run for -- trial versions are fully functional and just entering the correct KEY activates them and continues the functioning for the duration of the subscription.

Normally the KEY on a boxed version is on a paper label stuck on the outside of the envelope in which the disk is contained but if it's in a DVD/CD case it may be stuck on one of the surfaces of the case or a card inside. It's usually a bunch of 5 character letter groups.

If you locate that do not post that here but give just the first letter and how many letters there are in total and someone may be able to say whether it looks right or not ....

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.