• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2011 firewall

There's this kid who from time to time will run one of his programs on my machine.  The program causes a small window to open; the windows says to put a floppy in the A:\ drive. I did this once and got a data file that appeared to be cemetery records.  I now use the Task Manager to stop the program, and sometimes we go back and forth till he gives up.  I know this is a harmless prank, but why is Norton allowing this kid in?  I feel vulnerable, and so when I leave my computer unattended for long periods, I disconnect from the Internet.  Norton will usually run a scan while I'm gone.

Is there anyone who knows how to write a batch file that will allow me to disconnect from the Internet quickly, if necessary?  Also one to reconnect.  I use "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" as administrator.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 firewall

pbone_nc Hi, 

Firstly, welcome to the community.

I think your easiest solution is to go to "Settings" which is the first item in yellow on the Norton Internet Security Panel, then "Network Settings" and the last item is "Block all Network Traffic".  This is effective immediately and very simple to apply and later, turn off.

I hope this helps you.

If you feel satisfied with one of the answers that you have been given, please mark it as “Solved”, so that others may easily see it and benefit from the advice given to you.

Cheers,

drshlomo.

Kudos0

Since you can see the program in Task Manager, can you also find it in Add/Remove Programs and simply uninstall it?  The only way the kid should be able to get into your system from the internet is if a program on your system is inviting him in - otherwise the firewall will not permit unsolicited access.

Kudos0

I've look for the program on my machine but haven't found it.  It's name is made to look like a Corel file - it begins Corel.....

It may be hidden somewhere deep inside a folder.

I'll work on your idea that something on my machine is inviting him in.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Download and run Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com

It's a Microsoft special program that shows you much more info on running tasks, among them the directory where the little program is located. In the settings on top, you can select more columns to display and also view less or more tasks.

If the program is located in a temp folder, you can almost be sure, it should not be there and you should run more checks.

I always start Process Explorer minimized with Windows, so it's always running. It takes only a little bit of processing power.

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hi hvgsel,

A new version of ProcExp was released yesterday that has an option to show a realtime network activity graph icon in the system tray.  I got all excited but unfortunately it only seems to be available in my Administrator account on XP, and I always run as a limited user.  Oh well, at least I have my CPU graph......

Kudos0

Hi SendofJive,

Nice little, but effective feature in Process Explorer new release; works fine in W7, when started as admin.

Suggestion : In XP, you can always start PE in Scheduled Tasks explicitely with an admin userid/pw at user logon, so you can see the NW taskbar icon.

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.