• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2011 & NIS 2012

Hi,

1. My NIS 2011 For Windows will be dued in November. And now NIS For 2012 is released. "Should I waite for the 2011 For Win due date  or purchase the NIS 2012  now?"?

2. I can purchase the NIS 2012 for Win lince for "3 Years", What should I do if the NIS 2013, or NIS 2014 is released during the 3 year period.

3. Will the NIS for Mac release with NIS for Win at the same time?

Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2011 & NIS 2012

Hi EDLIU,

The answer to 1 and 2 is the same. As long as your activation key is still current you are always able to update to the most recent version. Go to http://updatecenter.norton.com to download the 2012 version now. There is no need to wait until November.

As for #3, I'll leave that for someone on the Mac team to reply to.

Cheers,

Dave

Kudos0

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Hi,

BTW, If I purchase the NIS for WIn 2012, which "Active Key" should I use? NIS for WIn 2011 or NIS for WIn 2012? Should I wait till the NIS 2011 is dued and "THEN" enter the newly purchased NIS for 2012?

Same as the 2nd question, if I purchase 3 year lince, should I enter the new active key or wait for the NIS 2011 is dued.

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Hi,

Any one knoww the answer to the questions?

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Hi,

after the activation of a NIS license you can update you program version any time during you subscription period. This means you can install the newer version (here 2012) before your subscription is running out.

When you buy new keys, it will work the same: meaning new versions can be installed with old versions' subscription keys. Now you can use ubscription key going back to version 2006.

Windows 10 Hungarian, Norton Internet Security v22.9.0.71
Kudos0

I believe that stopped being true for the new NIS for Mac software.  From what I've read, earlier subscriptions won't carry over to the new product, and you don't get the new versions for free.  It will cost to upgrade to this new version, which will come with its own one-year subscription.

Kudos0

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused.

If I purchase a new nis lincese, say 2012 in sep. and I use the 2011 active key, which is dued in nov.. will the 2012 nis wait till 2011 linces is dued and "THEN" start to csount the days?

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Hi,

So not more "Dual protection" for Mac and WIn?

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos1 Stats

At this time the licenses for Mac and PC security software are separate, and not interchangeable. PC NIS can be up to 3 years, but Mac is currently only for one year. Mac products can only be renewed online, due to the lack of a subscription key mechanism.

Macs, however, do use renewal keys to renew their subscriptions. So when purchasing Dual Protection it is actually two separate products and subscriptions bundled in the same package.

If this answers your question please mark as solved so this answer can be used to help other forum users in the future.

Kudos0

Hi

But "Dual Protection" is cheaper, isn't it?

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Symantec has announced Norton One, which encompasses the functionality of the Dual Protection product. Norton One allows you to protect all your devices and computers with a single Norton product.

Norton One is still under development, but we are working hard on a release for early 2012. Stay tuned.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392746,00.asp#fbid=W-ns1ucUfgw

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec
Kudos0

Hi,

So should I wait for the NIS for Mac 5.0(which is in it's beta), and NIS for Win 2012(which is released). or purchase the "Norton One"?

When will the NIS for Mac be released?

Can Norton One work on iPod Touch(Does IPod needs a NIS?)

Thanks.

Ed

Kudos0

Norton One is still under development, so if you need something right now, you'll need to either purchase the products you want seperately, or wait for Norton One. The choice is yours, and I can't really provide objective advice seeing as how I work for the company :-) 

Norton Internet Security 5 and Norton AntiVirus 12 will be released very shortly, so if you are looking to purchase those products I would hold off. But it sounds like you are more concerned with the purchase of your Windows license for Norton Internet Secuirty 2012. You'll have to decide if you want to buy the product in November 2011, or wait until early 2012 for Norton One (basically 1-3 months). I can't say which is best.

As to whether we'll support the iPod; usaully the company line is that we don't comment on unannounced products & features. However since Norton One is announced, I don't feel too bad in saying that no, we don't support the iPod Touch. There are no threats for the iPod touch so there is no need for security software at the moment. However we do support Android phones and tablets, mainly for some other types of threats such as phishing and identity protection. That type of software is not possible on the iPhone/iPod at this time.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Kudos0

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

But still one more question...

Which would be better if I have "an iMac, & a MBP", and each is running Mac OS X v.10.7.1, and Windows 7?

Will the "NIS 5 and NIS 2012" save me money or "Norton One"...

Thanks.

Ed

ps. I have only 2 devices that needs Norton One instead of the average 4.5 in a house.

Kudos0

Norton One pricing is still under discussion, so it's hard to say what is best for you at the moment. However I might have mislead you when I said Norton One covers "all" your devices. The number of devices covered is still under discussion; it's possible that with 4 devices (2 virtual machines and 2 Macs) you might be covered by the standard license, or you might need to purchase additional licenses.

Since it sounds like your Windows machines are actually virtual machines, you may take into consideration that virtual machines are more easily restored in case of data loss than a physical machine. But that doesn't protect you from other kinds of threats, such as identity protection, so if you use the PCs frequently I would still renew your subscription now.

Currently each copy of NIS can be installed on up to 3 machines, so you just need a license of NIS 2012 and NIS for Mac 5. Or you can wait a couple of months and see how it plays out. Sorry I don't have more details now, but we hope to be able to be announce more soon.

Kudos0

Dave_Coleman wrote:

Hi EDLIU,

The answer to 1 and 2 is the same. As long as your activation key is still current you are always able to update to the most recent version. Go to http://updatecenter.norton.com to download the 2012 version now. There is no need to wait until November.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi,

So do I need to install the NIS 2011 first, and then update to 2012 from the link above. Or clean install the NIS 2012 from the link given.

Thanks.

Kudos0

>>wait until early 2012 for Norton One (basically 1-3 months)

Hi,

What do you mean "(basically 1-3 months)"?

Do you mean I'll have to wait for 1-3 months from now or from early 2012?

Thanks

Ed

Kudos0

Sorry to be unclear. I meant 2-3 months from when your subscription expires in November. Norton One is scheduled to be released in early 2012, so 2-3 months after your subscription expired in November, Norton One should be available. 

Kudos0

v
Kudos0

Dave_Coleman wrote:

Hi EDLIU,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi,

So do I need to install the NIS 2011 first, and then update to 2012 from the link above. Or clean install the NIS 2012 from the link given.

Thanks.

Kudos0

No, as Dave said, you just need to purchase a Norton Internet Security 2012 key and use it. Once you do that, you can go to http://updatecenter.norton.com to get the latest version of Norton Internet Security for Windows. The installer that you download will guide you throught the process of installing on top of previous versions.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.