• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2012 & Firefox 16 - Support for Norton Toolbar??

I've spent the better part of the last hour reading about other members dislikes for the new NIS 2013.  For the time being I would like to stay with the current version of NIS I have now - 2012, however, this afternoon my Firefox updated to version 16.0.1 and the update disabled my Norton Toolbar version 2012.5.6.10.  Will there be another patch to make the Toolbar compatible with NIS 2012 and Firefox 16 or must I now update to NIS 2013 for the Toolbar to work?  I have checked Live Update and am not currently being offered anything new and am being told NIS is up to date.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 & Firefox 16 - Support for Norton Toolbar??

I've spent the better part of the last hour reading about other members dislikes for the new NIS 2013.  For the time being I would like to stay with the current version of NIS I have now - 2012, however, this afternoon my Firefox updated to version 16.0.1 and the update disabled my Norton Toolbar version 2012.5.6.10.  Will there be another patch to make the Toolbar compatible with NIS 2012 and Firefox 16 or must I now update to NIS 2013 for the Toolbar to work?  I have checked Live Update and am not currently being offered anything new and am being told NIS is up to date.

Kudos0

Hi MomOfARocker,

Welcome to Norton Community

We have released a patch to support FF16 for NIS2012, To receive that, run live update until it shows " no updates required" and reboot the system whenever it requires.

Please see more information from below  thread

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-16-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/m-p/821572/highlight/true#M4245

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Thank you for your response Senthil.  I have run Live Update until I am blue in the face and NIS says I'm all up to date.  I have also rebooted numerous times.  At this point I have the following: NIS version 19.9.0.9 and my FF 16 Add-ons show Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5 -2 and Norton Toolbar 2012.5.6.10.  Screenshots attached

Kudos0

No screenshots, didn't realize I coudn't upload a jpeg

Kudos0

Hi,

To attach a screen shot you need to click the tree icon.  Please see the following post for more details.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Here we go again.  I've had issues with the Norton Toolbar upgrades for years.  The exact issue that you are having, I am once again experiencing.  Believe me, instead of trying to figure this out, it ends up easier to just run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot and then re-install the latest NIS version (along with all the re-updates and rebooting).  This has always worked for me.  I know it's a PITA, but otherwise you end up wasting your time and end up just doing this way anyway.  I've tried to work with support and did whatever they told me, but it never works in my situation.  Thank God I have an SSD, it doesn't take too long to do this and I'm quite experienced at it by this point.

Kudos0

Thank you Krusty13 for the instructions on how to post a screen shot!

Kudos0

Hi MomOfARocker,

Could you provide OS information.

If your OS is windows 7 or Vista, Can you try following options:

Option1:

In following location,  we will have install.rdf file, Open this file in Notepad and check Min version 14.0 and max version 16.*

If you have max version is 12.0 or 13.0 , then change it to 14.* or 15.* or 16.*and check this issue again?

<em:minVersion>13.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>15.*</em:maxVersion>

Location for  install.rdf file C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.x.x.x\coFFPlgn

NIS_19.x.x.x, x is the version number

Option2:

If Norton toolbar is not listed FF->tools->Addons->Extension, We need to make sure the entries in  Extensions.ini file are correct or not.

Check this  N360  folder name under C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.x.x.x

And add these(mentioned below) in Extensions.ini  entries (if it is not there ), with Exact Product version NIS_19.x.x.x (e.g. NIS_19.1.0.28) which you have seen above 

ExtensionDirs]

Extension1=C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.x.x.x\IPSFFPlgn

Extension2=C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19..x.x.x\coFFPlgn

The numbers Extension1 and Extension2 will vary accordingly depending on the other addons present in your Firefox

Extensions.ini file present in this location,  %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\SomeRandomeValue.default\extensions.ini file

Restart the system and check Norton Toolbar is listed or not?

Let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

geezman thank you also for your input.  I've had my version of NIS installed since 2010 and every update/upgrade has gone smooth, this is the first time I've run into any problems.  Before 2010 I was using a combination of avast and zonealarm, which I used for years after leaving NIS back in about 2006 due to installation problems.  I am on a new computer since then and it has been many years since I have had to uninstall a Norton product.  Do I uninstall it first through the Programs and Features of Windows 7 and then run the Norton Removal Tool?  Also I have never used the removal tool before ... could you point me in the direction of where to download that?

Also if I were to simply upgrade to 2013 would this fix the problem or is it likely the same issue will still exisit?  I ask because it is not just my computer that is affected,  The same issue is on my daughter's laptop and I have not yet checked my son's desktop but imagine his is the same way too ... so it's gonna be a bit of work doing all this uninstalling and re-installing.

Kudos0

Hello Senthil,

I encounter the same problem - after installing FF 16.0.1 Norton Tool Bar is indicates as being not compatible. Running Live Update is telling me that all updates have been installed.

Could please Norton solve the problem by providing the respective patch via update and not requesting me to edit some secret internal data files ?

I am using Windows 7

Many thanks!

Kudos0

additional question: why is this problem ALWAYS occuring even if FF only releases a minor release?

Kudos0

kurts wrote:

additional question: why is this problem ALWAYS occuring even if FF only releases a minor release?

Hi kurts,

Have you ever waited to install the latest update to FF until after the compatability update from Norton has been made available and installed - as suggested on the forums ever since this "raipd update of FF" started?

Mopst folks have found that waiting until the Norton compatablility update is installed and then doing the FF update avoids the situation you are questioning.

Kudos0

Hi Senthil

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Following your directions to the install.rdf file here is a screenshot of what I have.  Should I change the
maxVersion to 15 from 16?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi yank

I realize your comment was directed towards Kurts but as you can clearly see from both our join dates, Kurts and I are newbies here in the Norton Community.  I can't speak for Kurts, however, I have not used the Norton forums before and personally would not have known that waiting to install a Firefox update until Norton was updated was the 'norm' "as suggested on the forum ever since "rapid update of FF started" ... we both just joined the forums so sorry if we are lacking in your knowledge ... there's no need to sound so condescending, it's not exactly what I call helpful.  Regardless I did the Firefox update before the Toolbar update simply because I was unaware there was going to be any issue as there has never been in the past with any previous updates.

Kudos0

Kudos0

It worked just fine for me. Make sure you update Norton manually and then update Firefox plugins.

Kudos0

patsyd have you read my original post??

Kudos0

As you can see I don't even have a box to click on to try 'enabling' my Toolbar.  As it turned out my daughter's laptop had a button that said Disable and when I clicked it I got a notice that it would be enabled upon a restart of Firefox.  Once I restarted the browser her Toolbar was once again enabled.  Not sure why mine does not even have the button there.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi MomOfARocker,

You may have to uninstall Firefox and install a fresh copy from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html.

Export your ID Safe (if you use it) to somewhere you can find it - like a USB Flash drive.

Download a fresh copy of NIS12 from http://www.norton.com/nis12 and select Save.

Uninstall NIS by Windows Control Panel.

Install the fresh copy of NIS12.  Run Live update,  restarting where required,  until no more updates are available.

Import your ID Safe.

Check in Firefox > Add-ons > Extensions and check if you can enable the Norton Toolbar.

I hope this helps.  For what it's worth,  Mozilla will release a new version in 6 weeks,  so you will be best checking here for an announcement about compatibility before updating Firefox.

Cheers,

Dave

Kudos1 Stats

In response to Krusty13:

The problem with this for me (in regards to your last statement of waiting for the toolbar update before updating Firefox) is that even if I wait to update Firefox, NIS never updates to the new toolbar even after it has been released by Symantec. I am always forced to run the removal tool before I am able to update the toolbar and therefore update Firefox successfully.

Kudos0

geezman wrote:

In response to Krusty13:

The problem with this for me is that even if I wait to update Firefox, NIS never updates to the new toolbar even after it has been released by Symantec. I am always forced to run the removal tool before I am able to update the toolbar and therefore update Firefox successfully.

Hi geezman,

I am sorry to hear that.  Firefox is my preferred browser too, and I haven't had this issue since FF5. (The start of the rapid release schedule).

I don't know what to suggest in your case.  What language version of NIS do you use?  Sometimes the English version of updates are released a few days before other languages.

I guess I've been lucky,  but before I upgrade Firefox I watch here for the compatibility announcement.

The new version of Firefox (FF17) is due to be released on November 20th.

Dave

Kudos0

Guys,

after trying to follow all these contributions to the problem some of us Norton Tool Bar  and Firefox users encounter, I am rather confused - and try to sort my questions for another try:

1) of course it sounds reasonable that one should update to a new FF release ONLY when the respective new NIS release is already available.

My first question is: HOW CAN I CHECK the availabilty of the correct NIS release?

- do I have to consult Norton homepage? if yes: where exactly do I find this information?

- or do I only have to run NIS LiveUpdate until it tells me that everything has been installed ? if yes: where can I check on my computer whether the fitting NIS version is now on my computer?

2) as now I may have got the information about the correct NIS release,

here is my second question:

should in this case the Toolbar be automatically available in FF after restart ?

or do I have to uninstall Norton first, and do the whole installation ordeal again (several times, rebooting, saving the Identity Safe data beforehand) ???

In this case I'd recommend Norton to simplify this process, please!

Sorry for my frustrated cadence, but kt is annoying!

Kudos0

Hi Kurts,

I'll do my best to help.

When an update for Firefox is released there is an announcement made in the NIS/NAV board here,  the N360 board here and also the Norton Toolbar / Norton Identity Safe board.  Look for the top posts above the thick line.

When you see this announcement,  please manually run Live Update and restart when required.

Once you receive an update for the Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox you will be asked to restart your computer.  The update may install automatically while your computer is idol. When you run Live Update you will still be prompted to restart.

Once you receive this update you can now upgrade Firefox.

You may have to click the orange Firefox button > Add-ons > Extensions and enable Norton Toolbar and Norton Vulnerability Protection, then restart Firefox.

The instructions I gave to MomOfARocker were hopefully a one off procedure to enable the toolbar this time.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Edit:  There is a setting in Firefox Options > Advanced > Update tab that will check for updates,  but wait until you are ready to install them.

Kudos0

MomOfARocker wrote:

Hi Senthil

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Following your directions to the install.rdf file here is a screenshot of what I have.  Should I change the
maxVersion to 15 from 16?

Yes, Change it to 16.* and reboot the system, then check in FF whether you have enable button for Norton toolbar or not?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

Hello MomOfARocker,

It was noticed you identified your OS as: "My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit". Should we assume it has all the latest Microsoft patches, including Service Pack 1? (I am running W7, Sp1, 64-bit Pro.)

Confirming that I am "on your page" here; one of your screenshots shows that you have Norton Toolbar 2012.5.6.10 installed and that Firefox has it disabled; confirming that Firefox has it disabled because the newer Norton Toolbar 2012.5.7.2 is what is required to work as an enabled Add-on with Firefox 16.0.1; confirming that when you repeatedly (manually) run Norton's LiveUpdate, the response is that there are no more Norton updates available, etc.

It has been possible for me to perform Firefox Add-on update checks another way, too: I open up the Firefox browser -> Left-click on the Orange Firefox Box Icon (upper left-hand corner on my screen) which opens a drop-down menu of options -> Left-click on the Add-ons tab (blue puzzle icon on the tab) -> Left-click on the Extensions tab (which opens up the Add-ons Manager page -> left-click on the Gear icon (upper-right , but just left of the "Search all add-ons" window box) which opens another drop-down menu of options -> left-click on "Check for Updates". Firefox is to then "phone home" to each Add-on vendor to see if an update is available.

Don't know if that will help (sorry if it does not)...

Kudos0

This is the same old storie. I have two machines that worked fine and two that didn't take. My choose is to wait for the next Verison of Norton to come out to come out.  To have to uninstall and reinstall is supped. Norton needs to get it together.

Kudos0

In response to MomOfARocker:

"patsyd have you read my original post??"

Yes, I have. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly (English is not my native language). By update I didn't mean to run live update but manually updating your Norton product. I tried and tried to run live update with no success, just like you. Then I updated Norton "manually" (go to the product page and upgrade Norton version). Sorry if it doesn't work for you. It did for me.

Kudos0

patsyd thanks for trying to help, perhaps it is just the language barrier then but in my original post I stated that I wanted to stay with my current version of NIS 2012 as it appears many other Norton members are doing.  I would  prefer not to upgrade if I don't have to, I simply want my toolbar to work with the 2012 version.  If none of the suggestions I have been given here to fix it work then yes I will then have to upgrade to the 2013 version.  That is why I wondered if you had read my original post because you seemed to be just suggesting I upgarde to the newest version, which I have stated I would prefer not to do.

To everyone else thank you for all your suggestions and my apologies for taking so long to get back to this, however, I had an unexpectedly busy week and just didn't have time to sit down and get it figured out.  I have read through everyone's suggestions and instructions and I am hoping to get this fixed this weekend and will report back on what works or doesn't work.  Thank you all again for your assistance.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi all ...

Just wanted to report back and let you know that everything is fixed and working properly again (YAY!).  Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.  To start with I first tried Senthil's suggestion to make a change in the Firefox install log as follows:

"Option1:

In following location,  we will have install.rdf file, Open this file in Notepad and check Min version 14.0 and max version 16.*

If you have max version is 12.0 or 13.0 , then change it to 14.* or 15.* or 16.*and check this issue again?

<em:minVersion>13.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>15.*</em:maxVersion>

Location for  install.rdf file C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_19.x.x.x\coFFPlgn
 NIS_19.x.x.x, x is the version number"

Unfortunately this would not work because each time I attempted to make the change I was getting a message from windows that I did not have permission to do so and to check with the System Administrator.  Well I am the Administrator, there are no other accounts/profiles on this computer so not sure why it would not let me make the change.  Next I decided to just try uninstalling my Firefox and installing a fresh copy.  This went smoothly but when I checked the Norton Toolbar it was still disabled and still I had no 'Enable' button.  Next I uninstalled my NIS2012 Version 19.9.0.9.  I removed it through the Programs feature in the Windows control panel.  I did not have it keep any settings as I do not use the Vault so was not worried about losing anything.  After uninstallinig my copy of NIS 2012 I did not use the Norton Removal Tool, I simply followed the link posted by Krusty13 to "Download a fresh copy of NIS12 from http://www.norton.com/nis12 and select Save".
  After installing this version I had a number of updates to do and two reboots.  Once all the updates were completed I went back into my Firefox Add-ons and low and behold my 'Enable' button was now showing for my Norton Toolbar.  A quick click of the button and a restart of Firefox and everything is now perfect.  I am back to my original version of NIS 2012 and my Toolbar is showing the proper version number now of 2012.5.7.2.  Thank you all again for your help, much appreciated!

Oh and yes I have made the change in Firefox to not automatically update in the future and have bookmakred where to check here for a patch next time before updating Firefox.  Funny I've not run into this problem sooner if people have been having similar issues since the start of Firefox rapid releases back on Version 5.

Kudos0

Hi MomOfARocker,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what worked for you.

Cheers,

Dave

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.