• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

[NIS 2012] Full vs. Smart Definitions

Hi, all! 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/1.6/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v56918258_NIS_Retail_2012_en_us&version=19.1.0.28&country=United%20States&language=English

What for full definitions if by default the company ensures all users about no problems with many not listed malware (if smart def. is by factory settings)?

What will be if cause of non-full definition set is to use and somehow to meet the malware not present in that definition set?

What if Heuristic and SONAR engines will can not detect it?

Why not to use full definition set?

Why not to smart definition set?

Al last, why this option is for users, not for competent vendor of AV?

Thanks for attention!

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: [NIS 2012] Full vs. Smart Definitions

Kudos0

Thanks, saw solition was.

But to decide to use Smart or Full I need info about probability of meeting old malware, to calculate it I need info on how Symantec give the malware 'obsolete' state. If not - I can't say what for me to use - can't undetstand 'obsolete' state word in Symantec view... To able users make decisions Symantec must provide info to understand difference between options. Without it users can understand what they exactly doing. Set up an option.. and no idea what it means... like children with grenade

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Niko,

Having Smart Defs ON simply means that definitions for older malware which has not been seen in the wild for a long time will not be downloaded.

In all likelihood if old malware were to be reintroduced into the wild it would have been changed and would no longer truly be the same malware any more. It is highly unlikely that old malware would be reintroduced with no changes at all.

Further, if old malware were to be reintroduced (changed or not) Norton would know about it quickly and those definitions would start being included again automatically.

One of the reason why the Smart Def option was added was to help users with slow or metered dial-up connections. In all reality this really only helps when a FULL definition set has to be downloaded for any reason. Once the FULL set has been downloaded, then subsequent updates (regardless of this setting) would contain the same definitions. Another reason is the amount of HD space it takes and the affect on boot time.

By all means if you feel more comfortable with it, you should turn this option OFF.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Allright, thanks for reply.

Ofcourse bootime slowed down from 40 to 45-47 seconds and additional 100 MBs using of harddrive disk drive space with todays of tens and hundreds of GBs HDDs and SSDs is fully no matter at all and probably for all. Main is security and performance.

All benefits I see are probably less RAM using (it is feel-able in Win OS with 512-1024 MBs of RAM). It is all. Probably for users having slow Internet connection to download 3.00 MBs of updates per day vs. smart updates of 2.85-2.95 MBs is no matter at all too. to download on mobile phone 1 MB (here additional 0.1 MB per day) is close to nothing...

So my answer for now - is only in RAM using difference, probably about 50 MBs.

probably, probably... no one of employees can not confirm it or tell users about it in more details...

Thanks for Cell and AllenM for taking part!

Kudos0

If I'm not mistaken all definitions are also in the cloud. So old malware should not harm you.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.