• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2012 - LiveUpdate Schedule

Is there anyway to schedule LiveUpdate to automatically run when he computer starts up?  Sometimes the computer might be off for 10 hours, and I boot it up and keep it on for an hour or so.  But everytime I check the status of the Live Update is still at 10 or 11 hours...

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 - LiveUpdate Schedule

Is there anyway to schedule LiveUpdate to automatically run when he computer starts up?  Sometimes the computer might be off for 10 hours, and I boot it up and keep it on for an hour or so.  But everytime I check the status of the Live Update is still at 10 or 11 hours...

Kudos0

6oBCL2U8ia wrote:

6oBCL2U8ia,

Automatic LiveUpdate runs as part of the the background idle tasks.  Just leave your system idle for a bit and you should be fine.

As to running LiveUpdate on start up, that defeats the idea of the start up process being as light as we can make it on the system.  During startup there is so much other stuff going on that we don't want to be running a LiveUpdate during that time.  It is better to wait and let the OS and system get to its "happy" place :)  

-Brian K. 

Kudos1 Stats

I
Kudos0

Sorry, my last post didn't go through.

I tried changing my idle time out settings under General to 1 minute, but it didn't seem to run.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure the background jobs run at the right time?

Kudos0

What settings did you set for the other idle times? I remember the second setting, idle time delay or something (click the question mark next to it) is the setting determining how long after boot does Norton starts perform its idle time tasks. I've set mine to two minutes as by that time Windows have done booting completely.
Norton Internet Security 2012, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9Please support my ideas to have an offline/online help system similiar to Microsoft Office help or Windows help for Norton products.
Kudos0

Thanks, I changed all 3 drop downs to 2 minutes...

Kudos0

Hi ,

The Live Update is configured automatically.

Once your computer is on and connected to Internet, it will start downloading Updates set by set and once in every 8 hours, it will unzip the downloaded updates and will install. No need to worry about that .

RegardsSym_KeN
Kudos0

Hello Sym_Kett

Now I am getting confused between what you said and what was said in another thread by a different Symantec employee. Please see this thread.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Is-Automatic-Live-Update-working-in-NIS-2012-or-a-change/m-p/530626/highlight/false

Does all of this mean that the live update will run every hour and download parts and then it will wait 8 hours until these updates are installed? Does this mean the idle slower quick scans will run every 8 hours if the computer is connected to the net?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

The bigger problem here is that in all their work to improve the speed and memory footprint of their application, there are now multi-core, greater than 4 GB, and 64-bit machines, not mention SSD drives and 7200 and 10000 rpm hard drives running in a boot situation.

I think they should change their application to allow for "more aggressive/non-idle" approach in some cases, when better machines are detected. 

Unfortunately, I am now in a situation where I would rather always see the "Live Updates" at minutes behind rather than ever being hours or days behind.

(To Symantec) I am satisified with the settings I have applied and that NIS 2012 is working to my satisfaction, I just think you need to revisit the footprint and performance issue again when newer/better/blazing hardware is present.

Peter

Kudos0

Hi,

Please post your valuable suggestion here: http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/bd-p/Suggestions

Thanks,

Senthil

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.