• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2012 Suddenly detecting hundreds of risks for safe files.

This morning NSI 2012 gave me a "Threats Detected" window that lists hundreds of files that I have had for years and is saying they are a "High" risk.

Sample below

Unresolved Threats: Risks in compressed file "Skype.msi"  Type: Compressed  Risk: High (High Stealth, High Removal, High Performance, High Privacy)   Categories: Heuristic Virus  Status: Not Attempted  -----------  1 File [skype.exe] inside of [______] inside of [c:\programdata\skype\{d6f879cc-59d6-4d4b-ae9b-d761e48d25ed}\skype.msi] - Not Attempted

So far as I can see these are ALL safe files that I have had on my computer, in some cases for years.

What should I do?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2012 Suddenly detecting hundreds of risks for safe files.

This morning NSI 2012 gave me a "Threats Detected" window that lists hundreds of files that I have had for years and is saying they are a "High" risk.

Sample below

Unresolved Threats: Risks in compressed file "Skype.msi"  Type: Compressed  Risk: High (High Stealth, High Removal, High Performance, High Privacy)   Categories: Heuristic Virus  Status: Not Attempted  -----------  1 File [skype.exe] inside of [______] inside of [c:\programdata\skype\{d6f879cc-59d6-4d4b-ae9b-d761e48d25ed}\skype.msi] - Not Attempted

So far as I can see these are ALL safe files that I have had on my computer, in some cases for years.

What should I do?

Kudos0

Hello agmns and sorry to hear about your problems.  Are you running any other security software?  Have you tried getting a second opinion, using the free versions of Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware

Kudos0

I've done a complete system scan with Mayawarebytes and came up empty. 

Also used http://www.viruschief.com/index.html to scan a couple of the Norton reported files and it showed no problem with the files and did a complete scan with ESET Online Scanner http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner.  None except Norton are reporting these (exe and msi files) as infected.

These files show up in the NIS Quarintine folder with only an option to "Delete" them.  Since these are install files and updates to software I've purchased over the last couple of years I'm reluctant to delete and lose them.

I seriously think that Norton is reporting false positives for all of them as of the Norton backgroud scan that happened first thing this morning after a live update session.

I'm just not sure what to do next.

Kudos0

Hi agmns:

Please see Rogerrror's post here titled 90 Heuristic Threats Identified on a Full Scan (Not Safe Mode).  He started getting what appears to be several false positives for compressed files a few days ago, and you may have the same problem.  I wonder if Symantec tweaked the heuristic detection algorithm in the v. 19.2.0.10 product update and it's causing problems with compressed files?

Do you see any difference when you disable scanning of compresssed files (in NIS 2011, it's Settings | Computer Settings | Computer Scans | Compressed Files Scan | OFF)?

--------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.