• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2013 (20.2.0.19) & Identity Safe & Firefox 17.0.1

Here we go again.  Norton Identity Safe and Firefox 17.0.1 are NOT working together - and all the recent posts with statements that is is resolved (with a closed topic) are NOT valid.  Plus, I still do not understand what "Login Assistant" does or why it exists in the Norton Toolbar.  It's actually self-defeating!  So, Symantec, here we go again - a patch that does not take care of this for all of us.  And a service that is not working.  My lesson today, advice for you and me: turn OFF automatic updates in Firefox and wait a few weeks to update the browser.  Mozilla will not like that advice.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 (20.2.0.19) & Identity Safe & Firefox 17.0.1

Kudos1 Stats

Your last comment on waiting to upgrade Firefox is the correct way to do the upgrades. You should always make sure you have updated Norton to include the support for the new version of Firefox before upgrading FF.

As to  getting your installation working, have you rebooted your computer lately? Some updates for Windows and Norton require a reboot to become effective.

Does the Norton Toolbar show in Firefox Add Ons? If so is it enabled.

What operating system and service pack are you using?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Attempt #1: I tried to use the Preview tab above -- which I foolishly assumed was there for me to preview my reply. All three paragraphs of my draft post got eaten. Attempt #2: This time, I'll summarize and leave... steves, Your post is right-on. Great help. I will not install FF 17.0.1 for a good while, if ever. Login Assistant is a joke. An embarassing joke. It's a bad judgment call on the part of the company to keep it up there on the Toolbar. Poorly documented, et cetera. And where is the button/llink to exit Login Assistant? Not on my copy! Maybe its author is a niece of the Big Boss who is now a sophomore in Computer Science in undergraduate school... On the other hand, I have had no performance problem with Identitiy Safe online vault, so far. And I feel comfortable so far with having my passwords in the cloud. ------------------------------------
Kudos1 Stats

jesimkins wrote:
Attempt #1: I tried to use the Preview tab above -- which I foolishly assumed was there for me to preview my reply. All three paragraphs of my draft post got eaten. Attempt #2: This time, I'll summarize and leave... steves, Your post is right-on. Great help. I will not install FF 17.0.1 for a good while, if ever. Login Assistant is a joke. An embarassing joke. It's a bad judgment call on the part of the company to keep it up there on the Toolbar. Poorly documented, et cetera. And where is the button/llink to exit Login Assistant? Not on my copy! Maybe its author is a niece of the Big Boss who is now a sophomore in Computer Science in undergraduate school... On the other hand, I have had no performance problem with Identitiy Safe online vault, so far. And I feel comfortable so far with having my passwords in the cloud. ------------------------------------

Not sure why you had a problem with the Preview tab. It should give a preview of your post. Then to edit again, you need to click on the Rich Text tab.

My Login Assistant does have an 'X' to close the window.

Kudos1 Stats

I had issues with the vault   wish I can delete the facebook icon thers lastpass a free  secured similular to nortons vault very easy to use and its free or  another option is roboform   its a paid version or if u only need 10 or less its free  I cant be bother with this new vault thing happy holidays folks

Kudos0

gillmore2011 wrote:

I had issues with the vault   wish I can delete the facebook icon thers lastpass a free  secured similular to nortons vault very easy to use and its free or  another option is roboform   its a paid version or if u only need 10 or less its free  I cant be bother with this new vault thing happy holidays folks

An upcoming update is supposed to give the user the option to remove the Sharing (Facebook) button from the Toolbar. No timeline for this.

Kudos0

thanks about time

Kudos0

Hi peterweb... My computer has been rebooted a few times now ... on XPP-SP3.  No change.  Norton Toolbar 2013.2.2.2 appears in Add-Ons extensions.  It will not fill ID and PW on any site - and the Login Assistant pops-up instead.  Choose available logins also does not fill the field on a web site.  And Login Assistant - why is there not a "Use This Login" choice - I just don't get why that is there at all - give us a choice (enable) to use it or not, please.  So, then - what's up with my ID-Safe and fill-ins, please?

Kudos1 Stats

steves wrote:

Hi peterweb... My computer has been rebooted a few times now ... on XPP-SP3.  No change.  Norton Toolbar 2013.2.2.2 appears in Add-Ons extensions.  It will not fill ID and PW on any site - and the Login Assistant pops-up instead.  Choose available logins also does not fill the field on a web site.  And Login Assistant - why is there not a "Use This Login" choice - I just don't get why that is there at all - give us a choice (enable) to use it or not, please.  So, then - what's up with my ID-Safe and fill-ins, please?

You need to run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available. 

Then the toolbar should be at version 20.2.2.3

Kudos0

My firefox is updated and my Norton 360 is updated on both my PC and my laptop.  Identity Safe and Toolbar work on my PC but not on the desktop.   I click check version on both and it says that everything is up to date.   Any suggestions?

Kudos0

dao0815 wrote:

My firefox is updated and my Norton 360 is updated on both my PC and my laptop.  Identity Safe and Toolbar work on my PC but not on the desktop.   I click check version on both and it says that everything is up to date.   Any suggestions?

Have you checked the version of the Norton Toolbar Add on?   2013.2.2.3 is the latest with FF17 support.  

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Kudos0

dao0815 wrote:

Hi dao815,

To add to what peterweb has said:

By selecting Check Version, you are not verifying your program is totally up to date.  The Check Version function checks for the availability of a new version.  The current version is 20.2.0.19 and has been since around Oct 19, 2012.  That will only upgrade your version number - as in if it goes from 20.0 to 20.1, or 20.2.  Any other updates - are done via LiveUpdate and the version number does not change.  Thus you could have any number of LiveUpdates thathave run since the version  20.2.0.19 upgrade was accomplished. 

In order to ensure your Program is totally up to date, you must run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until such time as LiveUpdate responds with the specific words "no updates found".  When you see the following, you are totally up to date as far as LiveUpdate is concerned:

Kudos0

Hi, peterweb.  The Norton Toolbar in FF Add-On Extentions is at 20.2.2.2.  I have manually selected LiveUpdate umpteen times and it reports there are NO updates available.  Reboots as well.  No changes.  Now - if I can't get my Norton Toolbar above 20.2.2.2  - what's up with that?  I have been updating both manually and automatically, ongoing.  What more can - OR SHOULD I be doing here?

When I open my browser FF17, the NIS toolbar appears, but no Identity Safe bar (IS) in the browser window (Vault is OPEN).  When I go to a page that has single IDsafe login, no IS bar appears, but a small window opens, the Login Assistant window with info for that log in page, unhide the password, copy and manually paste the data.  Nothing is "automated" or filled for me.  The fillable fields are not even yellowed.  Sure, I can "X" and closed that window.  If I X (close) the Login Assistant window, the site's password field is the next position for entry.  Same on a site that has multiple logins.

Thanks for your assistance - but... solve this please...

PS - everything works fine in Chrome (right now)!  But I use FF pretty exclusively (upon a problem years ago with IE).  Should I ditch FF now too?  When this happened with IE - you guys could not isolate a problem and gave up on that browser and recommended I switch.  Here we go again; another browser bites the dust?  You've had issues with Chrome, too.  Eeny-meeny-miney-mo...

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi stevers,

This is a situation I have come across before in NIS, N360 and NSS with previous FF upgrades. Following the exact procedure that follows has produced the desired results of the NTB appearing in FF. Do not add any addtional steps such as running the Norton Removal Tool, as that may cause you to lose your ID Safe, customised settings and will also remove any other Norton programs you may happen to have installed.

It is highly recommended you export your ID Safe data prior to starting this procedure.  You should notlose it during the procedure - but please export it as a precautionary measure.

Please do the following in the order I list:

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 17.0.1 from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of your Norton product from here:

NIS - www.norton.com/nis20

NAV - www.norton.com/nav20

N360 Standard - www.norton.com/n360s_20

N360 Premier - www.norton.com/n360p_20

Remove   your Norton product using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of your Norton product. Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate) as many times as necessary for it to respond with the specific words  "no updates found" .

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox 17.0 and let us know the version number and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2013.2.2.3 and Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5-3 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 17.0.1?

Please let us know how this goes.

Kudos0

Hey, yank --- what a lot of work - but - it worked.  Thank you. 6 Update routines with 4 Restarts. Indeed Norton Toolbar is 20.2.2.3 in Firefox Add-Ons.  Maybe you folks can give/post a bit more info, or make a location obvious for us to see/review online OR in our products: "Current version (of every) Norton product YOU should have on your computer" ??  Where to find it, etc.  Might alleviate some of this ... ?  Some may know where to see (About...) our current running version - but maybe another field of THE most current version available via LiveUpdate.  ???  Thanks again...  (we would still need to know how to solve some of these issues) ... but ... (thx)

Kudos0

steves wrote:

Hey, yank --- what a lot of work - but - it worked.  Thank you. 6 Update routines with 4 Restarts. Indeed Norton Toolbar is 20.2.2.3 in Firefox Add-Ons.  Maybe you folks can give/post a bit more info, or make a location obvious for us to see/review online OR in our products: "Current version (of every) Norton product YOU should have on your computer" ??  Where to find it, etc.  Might alleviate some of this ... ?  Some may know where to see (About...) our current running version - but maybe another field of THE most current version available via LiveUpdate.  ???  Thanks again...  (we would still need to know how to solve some of these issues) ... but ... (thx)

Hi steves,

Very pleased to hear it worked - again.  This has been a time proven cure for most of the cases that seem to be unsolvable.

Pleae have a look at the following post  by Tony Weiss:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-17-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/853416

Taony and other staff have been very good about posting all the changes invovled with updates for Firefox versions and which NTB versions are neeeded for each one.  I believe this is part of the info you seek.  It is always a sticky located on the NTB/Norton Identity Safe Board.

Alsp, there should be sitckys at the top of the NAV/NIS, N 360, and Other Product Boards that announce the most current versions of those programs.

Kudos1 Stats

Steves

Now you have FF and Norton working together, be sure to always update Norton to the versions that will support the version of FF you want to use. If you update FF first, you risk having to go through this process again.

You can go into the options for Firefix and under Advanced, click on Updates tab, and select the option for Check for updates, but let me choose when to install.

Kudos0

Thanks, peterweb.  Good advice, too.  I have now thoroughly reviewed this issue with some of my clients (all with NIS) who may be using FF and they have all (now) turned OFF automatic updating of FF.  FF can ask, and I will investigate and give the okay.  We all value the usefulness of a solid performer like NIS - and desire consistent successful results.  Understandably, Norton can't "be there" with the needed compatibility precisely RIGHT when Mozilla decides to release an upgrade.  You guys are actually VERY responsive.  We just need to allow for the "delay."  Nice work.  I appreciate your dedications and assistance - actually some of the best customer service with results here/now.  Happy holidays!

Kudos0

Thanks for the kind words.

We have to remember it was Mozilla that created this constant problem by implementing the fast upgrade cycle.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.