• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2013 Local Vault login problem

I just upgraded from NIS 2012 to NIS 2013 and fortunately did not sync with an online vault.  I am running with a local vault and when I restart my Windows 7 machine, and then start IE, the vault status in the Norton Toolbar is CLOSED.  The settings option is set to NOT require login.  Huh???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 Local Vault login problem

Hi Daviddubya,

After upgrading to NIS 2013, Have you logged into online vault at least once?

Have you checked below option under  "Password & Security option "

Ask for my password upon resuming from suspend?

If you have set this option, please uncheck and check the behavior?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

Senthil - no, I have not logged into the Online Vault since installing NIS2013.  I use Local Vault on 3 PCs.  I occasionally use Online Vault on my iPad through a browser.  I do not use Identity Safe on the iPad.  I have NIS2013 installed on a Win 7 laptop, which is where I experience the login issue.

Kudos0

Sent hill - Ask for mypassword after resuming from suspend is not selected, and has never been selected.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update.

Before upgrading to NIS2013, What was  your last logged in state in NIS 2012 identity safe.(Local or Online)

Can you try following option:

1.Login to local vault

2. Change the password and security settings to "No password needed"

3. Restart your system

4.Check for the identity safe status.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

The last logged in state for NIS 2012 was Local.

I cannot do the steps you suggested.  I have transitioned to NIS 2013 and the Online Vault on my 3 WindOws 7 PCs.  I cannot revert to the Local Vault.

However, the behavior is still a problem using Online Vault.  The SecurityOrion I am using is Ask for my password at the beginning of each login session.  When I restart the computer and then start IE9, the Online Vault status is Setup Vault.  I'm not asked for my Vault password. I must open NIS 2013 and log in on the Identity Safe Settings page.  I tried restarting on 2 PCs and never was asked to log in to Identity Safe.

Kudos0

I have now made the switch to the Online Vault.  I have selected the option "Ask for my password at the beginning of each login session".  After a restart and starting IE, Identity Safe Online Vault is closed. The system never asks me for my password.

Kudos0

Daviddubya wrote:

I have now made the switch to the Online Vault.  I have selected the option "Ask for my password at the beginning of each login session".  After a restart and starting IE, Identity Safe Online Vault is closed. The system never asks me for my password.

Hi Daviddubya,

What happens when you navigate to a site containing boxes to enter your user credentials? Does ID Safe then prompt you for a password to log into ID Safe?

Also, what happens if you click on ID Safe in the browser toolbar? Does it request ID Safe login credentials then?

I am getting ready to upgrade to 2013 on my laptop and will do some more testing on this...But certainly in 2012 I am prompted but NOT automatically when I first log into Windows but rather when I navigate to a site where user credentials need to be entered or when I click on ID Safe in the toolbar. NIS then asks me for user credentials for my online vault without fail.

I will update more on this thread after I get 2013 installed on my laptop.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

AllenM - If I navigate to a site that requires login credentials, and the Online Vault is Closed, a Norton toolbar pops up below the normal toolbars requesting the Online Vault to be opened.  That seems to be the result of the "Ask me..." security setting.  I did not understand what to expect, since I had never previously used Online Vault.  Using Local Vault in 2012 I never needed to log in to the Local Vault.  Identity Safe 2013 Online Vault appears to be working as Norton intended.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Since this thread has shifted to a discussion of Online Vault, my questions are answered.

Kudos0

Daviddubya wrote:

AllenM - If I navigate to a site that requires login credentials, and the Online Vault is Closed, a Norton toolbar pops up below the normal toolbars requesting the Online Vault to be opened.  That seems to be the result of the "Ask me..." security setting.  I did not understand what to expect, since I had never previously used Online Vault.  Using Local Vault in 2012 I never needed to log in to the Local Vault.  Identity Safe 2013 Online Vault appears to be working as Norton intended.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Since this thread has shifted to a discussion of Online Vault, my questions are answered.

Hi Daviddubya,

Thanks very much for the update!

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.