• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 2013 Problems

1. The entire system has gotten slow and unresponsive since upgrading to the latest version (20.1.1.2).

2. Identity Safe / Norton Toolbar crashes in Google Chrome 21.0.1180.89 constantly.

3. IE9 takes forever to open and appears to also be having issues with the toolbar.

4. What good did giving feedback about the Windows Desktop Gadget do since it was obviously a waste of time as it was removed despite the numerous requests and reasons to leave as an option if nothing else? I have many not-so-computer literate clients that relied on the gadget as did I when they were having problems with their systems. I'm not sure if it would make a difference but when having to use the system tray icon the NIS 2013 quite often either crashes or just doesn't open at all.

Main PC: Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - AMD FX-4130 3.8 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - NIS 2013 (21.1.0.18) - NU 16 - IE11, Firefox, Safari, Chrome 31

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 Problems

You might want to read up on the Desktop Gadget issue, it may change your mind about wanting to have it running.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2719662

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/12/disable-windows-sidebar-gadgets/

Kudos0

I upgraded to NIS 2013 last week on 3 PCs (Vista-64, Vista 32 and XP) and immediately started having problems. My main system (Vista-64, 4 GB) was very slow and was running out of memory. Programs which normally ran smoothly (e.g. Acronis) would hang and I had to re-boot the system. When re-booting I often had to power off the system after waiting several minutes and seeing some disk activity as if NIS was doing a scan in background and didn't want to be stopped, but otherwise the system was frozen. After forcing a system stop by powering off the system,  it would start normally without any warning message, i.e. it no data was lost.

After several frustrating days I uninstalled it and re-installed NIS 2012. My systems are now functioning normally and memory (and probably other resource) usage is much lower.

Either an upgrade is not possible and NIS 2012 first has to be uninstalled before installing NIS 2013, or NIS 2013 is a PIECE OF JUNK.

Kudos0

Let me add something.

I'm unable to open settings and history sometimes. Windows restart needed. :/         (caused by windows fast start feature?)

Win 8 x64 Pro Release - NIS 20.1.1.2 - Norton Management add-on installed  //edited: more precisely info

Kudos0

Zigor wrote:

Let me add something.

I'm unable to open settings and history sometimes. Windows restart needed. :/         (caused by windows fast start feature?)

Win 8 x64

I have the same problem as you mentioned...

[edit] I also have Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM..

Kudos0

I've read that your vault info is stored on the cloud? not sure if that's true but if it is then I'm being forced into contact with two entities I would rather avoid, the cloud and Facebook.

These things need to be an option (vault info) or easily removable (Facebook).

Kudos0

Boing wrote:

I've read that your vault info is stored on the cloud? not sure if that's true but if it is then I'm being forced into contact with two entities I would rather avoid, the cloud and Facebook.

These things need to be an option (vault info) or easily removable (Facebook).

The Facebook button is being dealt with. Not the vault for now.

see

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Symantec-Please-Explain/m-p/825942/highlight/true#M4553

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Today, 10/17, I took the opportunity to upgrade to the 2013 version of NIS--

Wouldn't complete the live update process;

Upon reboot, (several times), I got the black Checkdisk screen prior to the loading of Windows;

Crashed Firefox 16;

Didn't wait to see what else-uninstalled and went back to NIS 2012, which always worked perfectly.

Needs more work, Norton people-when it's ready, and I was hoping it was-I'll install it.  But not going through this again.

Kudos0

Good news regarding facebook but the vault issue is a worry, the least secure place I can think of is a cloud based server that's no doubt heavily targeted by hackers, I don't really want my banks login details floating around in the wilderness. I don't use multiple computers or smartphones and have no need for or trust in the cloud, I want personal details stored in a personal computer, not a server in god knows what corner of the world.

Kudos1 Stats

I use both Chrome and IE. Had problems with NIS 2012 for months till they posted the fix. That solved the problem with 2012, so I foolishly went for the 2013 upgrade a few days ago. Now I can't get my Chrome browser to connect. It just opens a grey, blank window with empty tabs. No internet connection.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome. I've checked "Use my current Web browser" in "Program Access and Defaults." So far nothing has helped. Fortunately, IE is working fine, as is NIS 2013. Just NO Chrome!

Kudos0

Boing,

But your bank details are already floating on the cloud ..... just on a different set of servers and I bet that security at Norton is higher than any outfit the banks and credit cards use!

Hugh
Kudos0

Same. 2012 was fine and ever since I bought 2013 it just keeps crashing, it quits after minutes, I can't even get through a virus scan, when it tried to live update it quits when it processes item 8 out of 8.

I even downloaded updates manually to no avail.

NOT happy.

I bought a 3 user license and on 1 machine 2013 runs ok and on one constant crashing...and in the meantime the license days are ticking away and I have a product on one machine that does not work. NOT happy.

Kudos0

earl,

If you start a new thread on the one that does not run and give some information about the system and exactly what happens I'm sure there are plenty of people who can help get this sorted out -- as you (and I) have found NIS 2013 can run perfectly well.

I suggest you do not do it in this thread but start a new one. Here's my boilerplate on background information that helps since we cannot see your PC.

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them and what you are doing when it happens as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Most important -- was any other security program installed on the PC before the present Norton? Most new PCs come with a free trial of something often but not always Norton and it's essential to uninstall and then to clean up with a special tool we can tell you how to download from that program's website. So tell us any prehistory and how you removed them prior to installing the NIS 2013 -- was that a new clean installation or an upgrade on top of a previous Norton?

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

Over to you.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.