• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Nis 2013 settings page wont open in Windows 8 64 bit.

When I click settings in Nis 2013 nothing happens. All other pages opens as normal. If I login and out again 

it works again for a little while.

I have reinstalled but the problem is the same. This must be a bug.

Please fix Asp.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Nis 2013 settings page wont open in Windows 8 64 bit.

When I click settings in Nis 2013 nothing happens. All other pages opens as normal. If I login and out again 

it works again for a little while.

I have reinstalled but the problem is the same. This must be a bug.

Please fix Asp.

Kudos0

Some response please.

Kudos0

panther wrote:

Some response please.

I am not a WIN 8 user, but could this have something to do with being in Metro Mode instead of Desktop Mode - or vice-versa?

Kudos0

I have a similar problem on my Windows 8 Pro desktop.

In desktop mode, the settings page will not open (so I can't access any of the firewall settings - especially program control).

What makes it worse is that now, when new programs are installed that need to access the web, NIS doesn't show me the prompt asking me whether to permit it (I don't use automatic program control - and instead set it to ask me every time). So, the application can't access the web! (Google chrome updates frequently, and wheneverthat happens, Norton notices a change, and just blocks chrome (without showing me the prompt asking for permission).

On a related note, I can't get NIS to do a full scan - I click "Scan now" under Computer protection and it brings up the "computer scan" page with links to quick scan, full system scan and custom scan. Great!. But clicking on quick scan or full system scan does nothing. Clicking custom scan brings up the option to edit scans, but nothing I do there can get a scan going.

UGH! This is frustrating. After several years of peace with Norton, I'm reminded of how much I hated NIS (when it was a resource hogging pig 5-6 years ago)

I called Norton support, and their solution "uninstall, run norton removal tool, reinstall" did nothing.

Kudos0

I have the same problem. After installing NIS 2013 on win 8.

Remove and reinstall tool helps. But it happen again after few days. I have installed on 2 machines with win 8 and there is the same problem. Please repair this BUG!

Kudos0

I think this problem is related to Windows 8's fast startup feature. I was also having this issue with my 2 pcs, then tried this solution on one of them, and the problem is gone.

Windows 8 comes with fast startup enabled by default. This may be a good feature but your computer actually doesn't turn off completely, so it restarts a bit faster, like restarting from hibernate in Windows 7. Fast startup doesn't effect restarts, so Norton works normally after a restart, but not after a non-complete shutdown.

To turn off fast startup;

-Go to Control Panel, Power Options

-Select "Choose what the power buttons do" from left side.

-Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

-You'll see "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" at the bottom with a tick in it. Disable it, and try Norton for couple days to see the problem still exists.

On my other pc, I had to go back to NIS 2012, and there is no problem with fast startup, but the 2013 version seems to have problems with this feature.

Kudos0

Turning off Fas Startup - helps but Symantec team should repair this bug. Hope it will soon.

Kudos0

jodle wrote:

Turning off Fas Startup - helps but Symantec team should repair this bug. Hope it will soon.

It may be Microsoft's problem to fix. I disabled Fast Startup on all of my machines because it caused too many problems with too many things. On one machine with AMD graphics it would boot to a black screen about 1 in every 4 times. Fast Start is one of those good ideas that doesn't seem to work in practice.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.