• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 20.4 GUI different ?

I installed NIS 20.4 four days ago, and as I said on one of my previous posts, NIS 20.4 solved all the issues I had with NIS 20.3, so now everything work well.

I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between my GUI and the others I have seen in various screenshots attached by some users.

On the right side of the GUI there are all the icons, Manage, Family, Backup ... and under each icon is written to what they refer.

In my GUI, all icons are present but without any words. To see what these icons are related, I have to get over them with the mouse and I get a little popup that shows what the icon is,for example, going with the mouse on the "Manage" icon, I see a small popup where it says "Manage", and so for all the others.

I know what I'm saying is not very relevant, I'm just curious to know if there are other users who have experienced this difference, both for those who have installed via the link provided by Tony and for those who have made the upgrade via LiveUpdate.

I attach a screenshot of my GUI, and you can see what I said. .

Thanks in advance for any response on the matter

Sandro

Sandro

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 20.4 GUI different ?

I installed NIS 20.4 four days ago, and as I said on one of my previous posts, NIS 20.4 solved all the issues I had with NIS 20.3, so now everything work well.

I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between my GUI and the others I have seen in various screenshots attached by some users.

On the right side of the GUI there are all the icons, Manage, Family, Backup ... and under each icon is written to what they refer.

In my GUI, all icons are present but without any words. To see what these icons are related, I have to get over them with the mouse and I get a little popup that shows what the icon is,for example, going with the mouse on the "Manage" icon, I see a small popup where it says "Manage", and so for all the others.

I know what I'm saying is not very relevant, I'm just curious to know if there are other users who have experienced this difference, both for those who have installed via the link provided by Tony and for those who have made the upgrade via LiveUpdate.

I attach a screenshot of my GUI, and you can see what I said. .

Thanks in advance for any response on the matter

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm wrote:

[…]

[…]

Hi Sandro,

I noticed the difference when I recently installed NIS in English in place of the Italian version I used to have - don't know if it is the same for other/all non-English versions...

Here is what my NIS GUI looks like:

NIS v20.4.0.40

I miss the Norton Zone widget, still being gradually released, while I see that you still have the Norton Safe Web widget which has been removed with the last Product Update and moved to the Norton Toolbar, maybe also this change is part of the gradual release...

Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Laura

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Hi Sandro,

I don't know why the missing text .. I wonder if your full update is in? You can try running Norton Autofix .. Support > Get Support, to check your Norton installation.

The Norton Zone widget would appear at the top now.

I got the 20.4 link from Tony and this is my GUI.

Ed

Kudos0

If you haven't seen the Norton zone icon, please RESTART your computer.

Kudos1 Stats

Dave20 wrote:

Doesn't help, still missing.  I usually restart the pc at least once a day, but when I know that product updates are being released gradually I do it more often.

I've seen various posts saying  that also this widget is subject to phased release so I think I'll wait for Norton's update here on the Forums confirming that the release has been completed before worrying.

Thanks,

Laura

Kudos0

Hi,

If your NIS version is 20.4 and you do not have the NZ widget you can be sure that the installation went bad.

Then you know the procedure, uninstall NIS,reboot,  NRT, reboot and clean install of NIS.

Hope this helps,

Kudos0

It is a known issue that some users will not see the Zone gadget with the initial update patch. There is no information as to what the differences in the version is, but non-English versions were affected at first.

A further update will bring all versions to the same GUI at some later date.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Sandro_cm,

I can only see 2 reasons why you do not have the letters under the icons.

Either the installation went bad, or you have a setting enabled in Windows, probably under "Folder options" where you must hover your mouse over an item and make text appearing.

If that's the case, you should experience the same thing with Windows folders too.

Regards,

Kudos0

Hi all ,

This is not an issue !

Norton Zone is not available in Europe.

So GUI is not the same in Europe.

The icons are without text in France too

Best regards,

Misstigry

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Dave20 wrote:

Doesn't help, still missing.  I usually restart the pc at least once a day, but when I know that product updates are being released gradually I do it more often.

I've seen various posts saying  that also this widget is subject to phased release so I think I'll wait for Norton's update here on the Forums confirming that the release has been completed before worrying.

Thanks,

Laura

Can you go to support > about and see what version you have. 20.4 should have the widget. 

Kudos0

Hi misstigry,

I didn't know that !

I'm in Europe, but I use English GUI, so I have the useless NZ widget.

Thank you for letting us know..

Regards ou salutations amicales,

Kudos0

Thanks for replying, Laura

The first icon in the upper right side of the GUI does not refer to Norton Safe Web, even if the icon is the same.

The icon you're seeing is "Norton Studio," a widget that is present only on Windows 8.

I have run Live Update manually a couple of hours ago and I got an update "NIS Product Update" (937 kb), a popup appeared asking if I wanted to apply the patch now, and that's what I did, but apparently I don't have found any change.

I also restarted the computer, but once again I could not understand what has been changed, everything seems to be like before I received that update.

I may can only imagine that maybe there will be more updates related to this first portion of the update, I'll just wait for more updates, as they are released "in phased manner."

Have a nice day too, Laura.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Edjr60 wrote:

Hi Sandro,

I don't know why the missing text .. I wonder if your full update is in? You can try running Norton Autofix .. Support > Get Support, to check your Norton installation.

The Norton Zone widget would appear at the top now.

I got the 20.4 link from Tony and this is my GUI.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I tried to run Norton Autofix, but he did not find any issue.

I downloaded the full installer from a link other than the one provided by Tony, since it is valid only for the English version.

I hope to have the Norton Zone widget that is currently not present in my version, bearing in mind that I'm using Windows 8 on this machine, and I already have the Norton Studio widget that is designed only for Windows 8.

As I had already explained to Laura in the previous post, I received an update a couple of hours ago, "Norton Product Update" which required me if I wanted to apply the update now, and what I did, but at the moment nothing has changed, even rebooting the system.

As for the missing text under the icons, it would seem that so far I'm the only one with this lack.

I'll stay here and wait until someone can clarify this.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Ed

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

misstigry wrote:

Hi all ,

This is not an issue !

Norton Zone is not available in Europe.

So GUI is not the same in Europe.

The icons are without text in France too

Best regards,

Misstigry

Hi Misstigry,

If what you said were to be correct, it would mean that the issue is already solved, or never existed?
But What I cannot understand is why Symantec would have to release different UI for Europe?

Sandro
Kudos0

Hello Sandro_cm ,

See your self my french GUI up to date

Kudos0

misstigry wrote:

Hello Sandro_cm ,

See your self my French GUI up to date 

Hi Misstigry,

Although the screenshot you posted is still not visible for users, since the image must first be approved by Symantec before they show it to be visible to everyone, I'm still convinced that your GUI is identical to mine.
It would be enough a confirmation from Symantec would close permanently this discussion.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Hi Sandro,

Please see amanik's post in regards to availablility in the follwong thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Zone/Norton-Zone-Final-Release/m-p/953797/highlight/true#M37

BTW, you as the OP can mark any post in this thread - including your own as the solution - if that is what you were referring to?

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Hi Sandro,

Please see amanik's post in regards to availablility in the follwong thread:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Zone/Norton-Zone-Final-Release/m-p/953797/highlight/true#M37

BTW, you as the OP can mark any post in this thread - including your own as the solution - if that is what you were referring to? 

Hello Yank, thanks for you comment,

I know that Norton Zone is currently available only for the US.

I'm just wondering what would need to be confirmed by Symantec or any official source that with regard to the missing text for the European GUI, this is done by design.

After that, I'll put this thread as resolved.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Dave20 wrote:

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Dave20 wrote:

Thanks,

Laura

Can you go to support > about and see what version you have. 20.4 should have the widget. 

It's v20.4.0.40 (it's on top of my screenshot in Message #2, though little visible...).

However misstigry's reply - Message #9 - and the link provided by Yank in Message #17 explain why the Norton Zone widget is missing, but Apostolos in Message #11 confirms he/she has it though being in Europe... I think there is some confusion on this point which needs clarification from Symantec.

By the way, I don't know if I'd ever use Norton Zone and I'm not worried because I don't have the widget on the GUI (I guess I can live without it), what I'd like to understand is if my NIS is correct or not.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Laura

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

However misstigry's reply - Message #9 - and the link provided by Yank in Message #17 explain why the Norton Zone widget is missing, but Apostolos in Message #11 confirms he/she has it though being in Europe... I think there is some confusion on this point which needs clarification from Symantec.

By the way, I don't know if I'd ever use Norton Zone and I'm not worried because I don't have the widget on the GUI (I guess I can live without it), what I'd like to understand is if my NIS is correct or not.

Laura

What Apostolos really said was :  "I'm in Europe, but I use English GUI, so I have the useless NZ widget."

That means that since they are using the English GUI - they'll have the NZ widget.  Being physically in Europe has nothing to do with it - it is based on the Norton User Interface language you have.

I see no confusion in that??

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Laura

What Apostolos really said was :  "I'm in Europe, but I use English GUI, so I have the useless NZ widget."

That means that since they are using the English GUI - they'll have the NZ widget.  Being physically in Europe has nothing to do with it - it is based on the Norton User Interface language you have.

I see no confusion in that??

Also my NIS is in English, Yank. Please see my previous post/Message #2, page 1 

Thanks.

Laura

Kudos0

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Thanks.

Laura

Thanks Laur - I missed that - is it any wonder with everything that is going on and all the different widgets, non-widgets and my getting old!

Anyway, I tried to go back and pin point when I got the Norton Zone appearing on my NIS.  I know I was updated to 20.4 and did not have the NZ widget.  I believe it came down to me in a NIS Control Data update on the night of the 19th, as it appeared on my system the morning of the 20th. So having 20.4 will not ensure you have the NZ widget.  Waiting for the Control Data update may be the answer???

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Rainbow_2 wrote:

Thanks.

Laura

Thanks Laur - I missed that - is it any wonder with everything that is going on and all the different widgets, non-widgets and my getting old!

Anyway, I tried to go back and pin point when I got the Norton Zone appearing on my NIS.  I know I was updated to 20.4 and did not have the NZ widget.  I believe it came down to me in a NIS Control Data update on the night of the 19th, as it appeared on my system the morning of the 20th. So having 20.4 will not ensure you have the NZ widget.  Waiting for the Control Data update may be the answer???

Sure!  As I said to Dave20, I think I can even live without the NZ widget, as long as I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with my NIS!

Laura

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Waiting for the Control Data update may be the answer???

Hello yank,

I think you're probably headed in the right way.

Over the past two days I have received no less than 2 times the NIS Control Data update, one of them should maybe check whether the user is eligible to have Norton WZ on the GUI.

We should wait to know exactly the matter.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

So .... it appears the most logical answer at the moment is to wait! 

Kudos0

yank wrote:

So .... it appears the most logical answer at the moment is to wait! 

So... Yes, Mr.. I KNOW ALL 

Have a nice weekend, yank

Sandro

Sandro
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Asking some friends who are using NIS 20.4 Italian, they confirmed that their GUI is identical to mine, as well as misstigry said for the French GUI, the text is missing, I'll put this thread as solved.

Of course you can continue to post if necessary.

Thanks to all.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

@ Sandro: mine has the missing text also and i use dutch language with my norton.

greetings, mark

Kudos0

Thank you for having provided a further confirmation, Mark.

Sandro

Sandro

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.