• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 4 for Mac on OS 10.6.1

Hi,

I have just purchased Norton Internet Security for Mac 4 and it fails to install correctly, i have just payed quite a bit of money for this and would like this issue sorted now.

I am using OS 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, SL has been out for a while now and i see you have still yet to sort this out!

Please advise...

Albos 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 4 for Mac on OS 10.6.1

I've not heard of any problems installing NIS 4 on Snow Leopard. What error message do you receive when you try and install? Although some portions of Norton Internet Security do not function on Snow Leopard (namely antiphishing) I don't know of any problems installing the product.

Perhaps a screenshot of the installer when it fails, and the installer log (which you can view from Installer's Window menu) will help here.

Ryan

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec
Kudos0

Gets to near the end and this pops up.

Message Edited by Albos on 10-04-2009 12:40 AM
Kudos0

Some installers (still) require and use Rosetta/PowerPC code.

Kudos0

Rosetta is installed so it can't be that.
Kudos0

Strange. Did you have another Symantec installed previously prior to upgrading? I've never seen the installer fail on Snow Leopard for no reason; when it fails it is usually because of some other problem not Snow Leopard related.

Please post the installer log (as I outlined above) and maybe the answer lies in there. When saving the log, make sure to display "All messages" not just progress and errors. 

Also, if you had another Symantec product installed previously, perhaps it didn't get uninstalled all the way. If that's the case, contact me privately and I might be able to help. The installer log will probably be the most useful.

Ryan

Kudos0

Yes i had Norton Anti Virus 11.0 i think installed previously and it was about to expire so purchased the new one. I used the uninstall tool that you supply on your website.

This lead to another problem which broke the Mac, as once i had done this the Mac would not startup properly unless i booted up into safemode and then restarted into normal mode. So i have had to reinstall NAV so this would stop happening, and yes its a third party software issue according to apple technical support and as NAV/NIS are the only 2 programs i have installed or uninstalled since this started happening then it must be this.

I can only take a guess but this is the main problem, i will get you this "install log" when i get in from work, but in the mean time maybe the above information will help you.

Kudos0

Ok i have the program fully installed as far as i can tell, but the problem is when i go to my anti-virus it tells me the old date for the end of the subsription which is 15 nov 2009.

It asks me to update which leads me to your store, but i already bought NIS (which includes the AV to).

Oh and another note, Norton Confidential panel seems bugged as nothing appears just a grey blank window.

Any suggestions?

Kudos0

Norton Confidential's user interface is definitely not working right on Snow Leopard, but it's just a visual glitch. The program's features, with the exception of antiphishing, work on Snow Leopard. We will address the visual problem in an upcoming update to all the Norton Internet Security products that increases performance, fixes bugs and addresses compatibility with Snow Leopard. I can't say when the update will be released, but "sooner" rather than "later" is a good start. 

As for the subscription problem, that sounds it's because you purchased Norton Internet Security and it didn't reset your AV subscription. Technical support will issue you a new subscription for free, after verifying your purchase, if you contact them. 

Sorry about the problems.

Ryan 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.