• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 4 for Mac update - available 11/17

hi everyone--

I wanted to give you an update about work on NIS 4 and Norton Confidential for Mac. Though we all hoped to have it out this week--and I bent the rules and actually explained the actual date with the caveat that I hated giving dates out because then people would be irritated and angry when we didn't hit that actual date--we have had to push out the schedule a few weeks.  

If you are wondering why--and I would be wondering why--it's frankly due to the vast amount of testing that has to be done. Each feature of each product has to be tested on Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 on both PowerPC and Intel Macs.  I could use the testing matrix to wallpaper my apartment. (It's not a big apartment, but it has lots of wallspace.)  We're plugging away at it and if we can get the patch out earlier, we will.

I understand how frustrating this is (I had a similar experience with a calendar and contact system that is at least two years late with their major updates) and all I can do is tell you were working as fast as we can. If I have any more updates, I will post to this thread.

In the meantime, NIS users should find that their AV works and firewall functionality is working. We just need to get the privacy tools done.

thanks so much.

mike

mac product manager

mike_romo@symantec.com

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 4 for Mac update - available 11/17

will it support 64bit on Snow 10.6?
Kudos0

It depends what you mean by supporting 64 bit. Some of our components will be 64-bit, and some will not be. We are evaluating them on a case-by-case basis. We will also be rolling out 64 bit support in stages.

As Mike said, the testing matrix is huge (I wish I had as much wall space as he does), and adding 64 bit means a whole new platform to test. We just don't have the time to test every feature on 64 bit. However some features will definitely be 64 in the first release, and others will become 64 bit a little bit later, as we have more time to test. It's safe to say though that this release will not be fully 64 bit, but more a patchwork of 64 bit and 32 bit.

Ryan

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec
Kudos0

Will the new release for the 10.6 be able to remove virus and spyware using software without using the need for your Virus Removal Service? What will we be expecting for a NIS version 5?

James 

Kudos1 Stats

Will our service contracts be extended for the period of time when NIS was not functional, or only partly functional?
Kudos0

This is probably the worst customer service I've seen, hands down.   Nov 17 is almost 3 months after Snow Leopard was released.  Symantec should be ashamed at giving such poor customer service.

They've forever lost 5 subscriptions among me and my friends and family.

Kudos0

As you can tell by the shear lack of response by Symantec, THEY DON'T GIVE A D*** and DON'T CARE.

There poor attitude to date has been "just deal with it"

Symantec S**KS and is now the WORST customer service around!

You lost one more customer.....but I'm sure you don't care... 

Kudos0

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong, we care a lot and regret the delay. We did get NAV out awhile ago, but when you think, again, about all the different features we have to test, under 3 different operating systems, with 2 types of chipsets...well, it takes awhile, especially when we find issues and have to restart the process again.

So, you are wrong, we all do care and are taking steps to make sure this delay never happens again.

-mike

mike_romo@symantec.com

Message Edited by mikeromo on 11-02-2009 07:32 PM
Kudos0

hi Amiller--

Please email me at mike_romo@symantec.com and we'll take care of that.

-mike

Kudos0

I also think people are looking at this incorrectly. This is NOT a Snow Leopard compatibility update. NIS is already Snow Leopard compatible, with the exception of antiphishing. But if you look, NOBODY else has a Safari plug-in that works on Snow Leopard. We've outlined why before, but in short, Apple does not have any mechanism for doing what we need to do in Snow Leopard. We're working with Apple on this, but it's not resolved in Snow Leopard.

But to re-iterate this is not a Snow Leopard compatibilty update. We already released a Snow Leopard compatible version of NIS back in September. This update is to improve performance and fix some bugs that are out in the field. If you look in our bug database, almost all the issues we are fixing are NOT Snow Leopard related. By and large they are all just "little fixes here and there".

We took the approach of fixing the broken features ASAP, and leaving the other fixes for a November release. We're sorry it's running late, but I don't see why people are comparing this release to the release of Snow Leopard—the two have nothing in common.

Ryan 

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec
Kudos0

Excuse me for asking this again, but Romo Ryan, will my NIS be able to remove a virus from Snow Leopard without using the Virus Removal Service, and I would like to be reimbursed for the delay also I think that would be good... I know Apples don't get Viruses but I am almost certain mine has one, not only did it detect a Virus while scanning it was unable to ID and Remove the Virus, Customer Support still have not been able to help me with this problem... I mean I don't want to spend 100$ for something the program should be able to do. And also what could we see in the future for Macs as a future NIS 5?

James 

Kudos0

Two error not working with 64-bit:

File auto scann and VulnerabiltiyProtection options not working.

since day one and hope they will be solved soon. if there is a shote cut please let me know.

Kudos0

ryan_mcgann wrote:

I also think people are looking at this incorrectly. This is NOT a Snow Leopard compatibility update. NIS is already Snow Leopard compatible, with the exception of antiphishing. But if you look, NOBODY else has a Safari plug-in that works on Snow Leopard.

Ryan 

If your entire product is not completely compatible and working then it is NOT compatible and working. 

Symantec offers a browser plugin, I dont care if anyone else does or not - this is about Symantec and their lack of service, it's not about anyone else.  One reason I used (past tense) NIS was for the browser plugin.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and since the Browser plugin does not work, then the product as a whole does not work.

It's beyond ridiculous that Symantec treats their  P A Y I N G  customers this way.   Three months after SL was released.  Seriously?

Until the browser plugin works (actually, all parts of the application), then NIS is NOT compatible with Snow Leopard.

Kudos0

a lot of explication ...   

i have abandoned NIS4 and it's "super responsible"  managers and programmers as soon as i new that they will be ready with update in the end of October.Apple has seeded 5 months beta versions of Snow Leopard, but somebody was asleep....

i switched  to Intego Internet Security and you could not imagine now how wander i'm and i thank you for this NIS4 problem, thanks of which i switched to Intego.Intego has really amazing firewall with functionality that NIS4 could not desire also an amazing super fast and with lite interface Antivirus incomparable with NIS4... yes, i know what Norton manager will answer me... NIS4 updates late because of the Antifishng protection that takes too much time.....   i don't care about Antifishing because it don't work properly.It used to alarm me for suspicious sites for sites that are super healthy....

Conclusion: if the managers spend time and money like for Norton Internet Security 2010, NIS4 will become super... in meantime... we just abandon products like this 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.