• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS2008 TO 2009 UPGRADE WON'T PLAY NICE WITH NSW2003 - REPEATABLE ERROR

I'm running a fully patched XP-SP3 machine with Systemworks 2003 installed, excluding the anti-virus module and NIS2008 a/v & firewall. I got the e-mail inviting me to a free upgrade to NIS'09, and installed it. On installation the '09 upgrade failed and left a partial un-install. I un-installed & re-installed 08 but then kept getting BSOD's - ntaccess.sys  and another one that WER suggested was caused by my a-v product. One crash corrupted the registry fatally & caused an external 120gig NTFS partition to go RAW . I tried the Norton removal tools to no avail so I reformatted my C: drive and installed & patched XP-SP3. From a virgin XP install I then installed NSW'03 (excluding a-v) & ran live update, and then installed NIS08 & updated - system worked fine. I then downloaded & installed the '09 upgrade - failure & BSOD's again. Format & install XP again, NSW'03 & NIS'09 upgrade installed - BSOD's. Another reformat, XP-SP3, NSW'03 & NIS'08 installed - system works ok, but still have RAW external drive. I  bought a box version of NIS'09 during the sales, prior to trying the upgrade but have not yet broken the seal. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this problem, or should I take the NIS'09 box back for a refund.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS2008 TO 2009 UPGRADE WON'T PLAY NICE WITH NSW2003 - REPEATABLE ERROR

Hi 4ecks:

If you do a search of NSW on this forum you will see that there are issues with some of the older NSW versions.  I think yours is about the oldest.  Most people with this problem have had to install the NIS2009 first and then load NSW rather than the reverse.  I'm thinking that your program is too old to get along with the new version of NIS.  It is also too old for an NSW update, although you could download the trial version from the Norton website to see if you like it enough to buy a newer version.

Another problem is that the removal tools may not do a clean job on the older product as they are age and product specific.

I really hope that you don't return the NIS2009.  It really is a sweet program and better than all of the past versions.  It's better to replace older programs, even when favourites as they just don't work the same way as new stuff.  It's hard but it's time.:-)

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Re: NIS2008 TO 2009 UPGRADE WON'T PLAY NICE WITH NSW2003 - REPEATABLE ERROR

4ecks,

I would suggest that you Buy the Norton SystemWorks Basic Edition 12.0 if you have N.I.S. 2009, and you should find you have no Problems with both Norton Products being on the same computer.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.