• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS2009 and networking

Firstly I make no apologies for this being a long posting. Experience
has told me that it is better to give more information rather than
less.

I asked for help here a while back and received great support and now
I need your help again to understand more.

I have three XP Home SP3 PCs networked via an 8 port hub, one is
connected to the USB DSL modem and the other two access the web via
that PC. I had no problem setting internet connections up. However, I
have problems with my home network where I do not get consistent
access between the three PCs. One PC usually sees the other two, one
sometimes sees the other two and one very rarely sees more than one
of the others.

I have NIS 2009 Premier edition [UK] on all three PCs and, while
learning about NIS I came across the Network Security Map. Wonderful,
I thought, until I realised that the wired connections it shows near
the top of the page exhibited the same problems as I saw under My
Network Places and the same inconsistancies.

I then saw that I could set Remote Monitoring so I then read the Help
about it and ended up none the wiser. I could not see if it would
actually make any difference to how the network operated other than
performing remote operations.

I confess that home networking is not one of my stronger subjects and
that I may be confusing myself with the Remote Monitoring function
and that my problem lies with just the home networking settings but I
simply do not know enough to decide if Remote Monitoring has anything
to do with the basic networking.

Any help to understand waht is what would be much appreciated,
preferably in simple terms.

Regards

John

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NIS2009 and networking

Hi John,

Network security map helps you to secure your home network against threats and uninvited guests. It creates a map of the devices connected to your wired or wireless home network including PCs, game consoles, printers, TiVo and more. Trust Control automatically optimizes your protection settings based on the network—wired or wireless, public or private—you’re connected to.

Remote PC Security Status Monitoring is just to view the security status of the Norton protected PCs on your network from the Norton network map interface on any PC in your network. You can see when virus definitions were last updated, if any phishing sites have been blocked and more for the other Norton protected computer in your network.

So, when you have problem with accessing other computers over the network, you have to check the Trust settings and NOT the Remote Monitoring. Here are the steps to set the trust level of a computer:
1. Start your Norton 2009 program.
2. In the Internet pane, click View Network Security Map.
3. Click the computer name or device icon in the network map for the networked computer.
4. In the right pane, next to the Trust Level, click [Edit].
5. In the Edit Device Trust Level window, select Full Trust.
6. Click OK.
7. Click Close.  

In each computer, you need to set the trust level of the other 2 networked computers in Network Security Map. For more inforation on the Network Security Map, read this Symantec Support Article. Let us know how it goes.

Yogesh

Kudos0

Thank you for a clear description of what it does and how to use it.

I have tried it but, unfortunately, I encountered the problem where each PC was not seeing all of the others despite the fact that I have just booted them from a completely switched off state. [Power off at the source]

Two PCs see one and another but not the third. The third see neither of the others. This is my main problem in that there is little consistency in how the network behaves from one time to another.

I have set the two PCs that see each other to the fuly trusted state but cannot get the other PC to see anything but itself.

Ah! Now I get a pop-up on the isolated PC saying something to the effect that a PC on the network is protected. The pop-up vanished too fast to read it fully.

I assume this is because the other two have been set to full trust while they have not been able to do so for the isolated PC.

I realise that this is a network problem and not a Norton problem but any further assistance would be appreciated.

Kudos0

Good to see you here john -- I'm sure you'll get the help needed.

Just a thought -- any "foreign" software firewalls involved or Windows Defender that could be trying to protect the odd man out?

Hugh
Kudos0

Disable the Smart Firewall in NIS for all the 3 computers and check whether you are able to access the other two computers. Post the results.
Kudos0

I hope that this will make a little sense to you because it doesn't to me.

Doing as you say to all three PCs I get in the Security Map the following:

PC A sees PCs B and C. [A is the PC connected directly to the modem.]

PC B sees PC C

PC C sees PC B

Leaving the firewall turned off and going to MY Network Places> Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Home I get the following:

PC A only sees itself.

PC B sees PC A

PC C sees PC A

Turning the firewall back on and  PC A now only sees itself. PCs B and C still see each other.

I seem to have run out of things to try.

I hope that this makes some sort of sense to you.

Regards

John

Kudos0

Hugh,

Nice to see you here. No other firewalls involved, no Defender and Windows firewall turned off on all machines.

Kudos0

Hi John,

Do you have Network Connection sharing enabled in XP on the machines, especially the one with the USB modem?  This is a XP setting in the Network adapter parameters not in Norton, just in case you were wondering. 

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

I am not quite sure what you mean by your message. I have sharing set for all drives on all three PCs.

Is there another form of sharing that I am unaware of?

Kudos0

Just to add to the confusion I have a wired/networked Philips Streamium Audio/video PC to TV unit that is connected to the hub.

It should see all the PCs on the network that have the Philips software running.

Although the two PCs that have the software on them [PCs A and C] should be seen  the Streamium is only seeing PC A.

The help for the Streamium says that Ports 1900, 49152 and 49153 need to be allowed and I have no idea where in NIS 2009 to allow them. However, PC A has not got those ports set to be allowed yet the Streamium sees that PC.

Kudos0

I'm talking about this:

Also, are you trying to watch TV streamed through a USB connection?

Kudos0

Unfortunately I do not get that. When I go to Local Area Connection Status>Properties the two tabs are named General and Advanced. General list the various protocols and Advanced Leads to the Windows Firewall settings where that firewall is disabled.

From the Firewall settings Advanced tab I can then get to the Services page where several boxes are ticked including DHCP (67) and (68). DNS, FTP server and some others. The ICMP page has no boxes checked, all of these from settings for the Local Area Connection.

I have only looked at the settings on the PC that connects directly to the internet.

Kudos0

Sorry I forgot to answer your second question.

No, the Streamium is not for TV, it streams JPGs and MP3 music to the TV. It is also supposed to stream MOV video but I have never been successful in getting them to stream. That is not important as I only need it to show my wife pictures on the TV.

Kudos0

• Another thought triggered by something in another thread -- prior to installing the current NIS 2009 on the three computers (one of which I know was new) did you have any other security software installed that you removed and changed over to Norton?
Hugh
Kudos0

John_Louis,

John_Louis wrote:

I have three XP Home SP3 PCs networked via an 8 port hub, one is
connected to the USB DSL modem and the other two access the web via
that PC. I had no problem setting internet connections up. However, I
have problems with my home network where I do not get consistent
access between the three PCs. One PC usually sees the other two, one
sometimes sees the other two and one very rarely sees more than one
of the others.

The problem is in the details.  We need to know how you set up the internet sharing as that is how your network should be set up also (or vice versa).  Forget the internet access for a moment; the three PCs will have to have three static IP addreses assigned to them since they are on a HUB not a router.  They have to have the same exact subnet and some where you will have to assign a gateway address also.  Since you have a static network going on, you have no DHCP active on it; you also need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Let us know what the details are on some of this (well as much as you can post here).  I'd like to see the PCs networked together first before the internet connection handled.  The internet connection should be easier after the network is done and working.

Message Edited by dbrisendine on 06-25-2009 11:36 PM
Kudos0

Hugh,

As I wrote in my earlier thread, apart from the new PC which I installed NIS 2009 from scratch, the other two PCs had ISP supplied version of NIS which I completely removed before installing NIS 2009. No other antivirus programs were ever installed in those two PCs.

Kudos0

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if the following helps.

I began with the PC that is directly connected to the DSL modem [PC A] and used the Wizard to set it to share the internet connection.

I then set up the new PC [PC C] using the Wizard to share the internet connection and, sometime later, set up the third PC [PC B] using the Wizard again to access the internet.

Looking at the TCP/IP properties  I see that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically as well as obtaining a DNS server address automatically.

This is the same for both of the PCs [B and C] that access the internet via the one with the modem.

The PC with the modem [A] is set differently for the TCP/IP in that it is set to 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Is the fact that B and C get their TCP/IP addresses automatically a possible/probable cause of the problem? If so would setting them to a fixed IP address make a difference and would Norton see the PCs correctly?

Kudos0

John_Louis wrote:

The PC with the modem [A] is set differently for the TCP/IP in that it is set to 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Is the fact that B and C get their TCP/IP addresses automatically a possible/probable cause of the problem? If so would setting them to a fixed IP address make a difference and would Norton see the PCs correctly?

The answer to both questions is yes.  In the network you have, all must be set up the same way for the stability you want.  So they either all get IP addresses automatically or none.  The problem is that the IP address is not all that is being set dynamically so that is why you have the issues with A seeing C seeing B, etc .  Norton will see the static IP systems just as well as dynamic.  The real difference is the scanning to find the new addresses all the time.

Also, just a question; is your ISP assigning these addresses?  If so this why your system seems unstable; the ISP keeps seeing the different PCs coming online and changing the addresses.  Please check your Firewall - Network and Connections log in NIS2009 and see what is happening with the addresses for that machine.

Kudos0

Thank you for your reply.

I assume that setting the TCP/IP settings on the two PCs manually will suffice and will do it later, when I have the time.

Looking at the log for the Firewall Network and connections on the PC that has the DSL Modem on it only shows two entries both timed closely together at 16:42:55 and 16:42:43

The earlier one states: You trusted a computer (MAC 00-0E-A6-5D-D2-7A) Status Trusted and a similar entry for the other entry (MAC 00-1F-E2-4D-99-75)

I have no reason to suspect that my ISP provider has any effect on my network. It never did in the past when I had a different network configuration with only one of the current PCs being used.

I will report back when I have manually set the TCP/IP addresses on the two PCs that are not set to a fixed address.

Kudos0

Ah yes I remember that now ....
Hugh
Kudos0

<<  Forget the internet access for a moment; the three PCs will have to have three static IP addreses assigned to them since they are on a HUB not a router.  >>

David -- you are making terrific progress with John's situation. Would it help to physically disconnect the internet (DSL modem), delete any references to the internet connection eg in Network Connections and set up the PC to PC net in isolation.

You seem to be suggesting this......

Hugh
Kudos0

That may actually be the best thing to do.  I was just trying to suggest that let's tackle one problem at a time instead of trying to solve the mixed bag all at once (which may prove near impossible).  I was just trying to get the group to see each other first then the Internet sharing is not going to affect the network.  As of right now, the sharing and static / auto addressing may be 'interfering' with the monitoring / connection of each system to the group.
Kudos0

Gah!  Having set the TCP/IP addresses manually, 192.168.0.2 and 3 for the two PCs and having confirmed that did solve the networking problem as far as My Network and the NIS 2009 Network Security Map are concerned I now cannot access the internet via the shared connection.

I shut down all the PCs and rebooted with no different result.  I then ran the network wizard on the PC connected to the modem and made sure that I set it to share the inrernet connection. I then ran the wizard on the other two PCs setting them to share the connection.

Neither of the other PCs will connect to the internet.

I seem to remember seeing something somewhere some time ago about being able to manually set up ICS but I cannot find a way to do it.

If all else fails I will return to using the automatic network addressing so that I can, at least, get online with the other two PCs. That is far more important to me than a perfectly functioning home network.

Edit: I have reset the TCP/IP back to automatic and immediately both PCs can now access the internet again but the home network problem is, as I expected, back again.

Unless there is a "simple" solution to the problem I may have to live with it. I simply do not understand why, with fixed TCP/IP addresses, the internet connection fails.

It may help to understand my problem if I say that I have little time to spend on my computers and manage the forums I am involved with as I have also to care for a severly disabled wife who has been, for several months and most likely for several more, confined to bed 24/7 because of several large pressure wounds.

Message Edited by John_Louis on 06-26-2009 07:14 PM
Kudos0

John_Louis,

I will continue to work on this.  If I find the solution, I will get it to you one way or the other (either here or huwyngr ? perhaps knows how to contact you) .  Wife and family is ALWAYS more important.  Thanks for the patience and keep us posted.

Kudos0

Thank you so very much.  I will continue to pop into here as and when time permits and I visit the other place Hugh inhabits fairly frequently.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Sorry to hear about your wife -- someone I know fairly well living nearby a similar situation from wheelchair confining paralysis and the surgery and recovery are slow. I hope she is making good progress.

I saw your message in CIS and maybe Dale can help despite his disdain for "Wizards" which I do not share.

I've heard that DSL Modems are in fact more fussy to set up so maybe the answer is as David suggested -- delete everything and disconnect the PC from the modem and so from the internet and get the LAN working. Then see what happens when you add in the modem.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh,

My wife has had primaty progressive multiple sclerosis since 1989 and has been in a wheelchair and then a power chair for much of that time.  The big wound began more than 2 1/2 years ago when the sling I use to connect to the electric celing hoist in the bedroom and bathroom caused an abrasion that broke down rapidly. Since then we have had the wound well on the way to recovery twice before it btoke down again.

Earlier this year the wound was so bad that she was admitted to hospital for two sessions of debriding surgery and she remained in hospital for a month. Coming home meant strict bed 24/7 until the wound is healed and  I can use the hoist again.

Being in bed she has developed a nasty heel sore and a smaller wound on her back. I have carers coming three times a day and nurses every other day. I seem to spend a lot of my time wating for people to arrive <g>

As far as the problem is concerned I am relecutant to go through the process of removing all traces of the modem and starting again as the modem was only installed on the PC a few weeks ago when the PC it was attached to died.  I really do not want to have to spend a lot of time getting my internet to work when it works fine now.

I can live with the current situation of having an unreliable home network for the time being as long as I can access the internet from at least two of the PCs.

It is quite puzzling why the network works fine with fixed TCP/IP addresses but no internet connection for the two networked PCs and yet setting to automatic addresses give full internet connections with a less than reliable home network.

I did check that the PC connected to the modem has internet connection sharing set and can see no other settings that could cause the problem, all drives are set to sharing on all PCs.

Regards

John

Kudos0

A heavy burden for both of you.

I see Dale has replied in CIS and he may be right except about the Wizards <g> He's certainly helped a number of people to deal with network problems including me on occasion.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh and everyone,

Just a brief postscript to this thread to say that, with help from elsewhere, I now have a fully working Home Network with fully shared internet connections.

I have also got my Philips Streamium device to see all three PCs and I can feed pictures and MP3s to my TV.

The Norton Mapping is still not consistent but I really do not have the free time to take the matter any further for now, I am well behind with other matters in my life.

If/when I have the time I may return here to see if I can resolve the problem but, as it does not appear to be a major problem, I will leave things as they are now.

Thank you all for your support and help. I will mark this thread solved for now.

Regards

Kudos0

John_Louis wrote:

Hugh and everyone,

Just a brief postscript to this thread to say that, with help from elsewhere, I now have a fully working Home Network with fully shared internet connections.

I have also got my Philips Streamium device to see all three PCs and I can feed pictures and MP3s to my TV.

The Norton Mapping is still not consistent but I really do not have the free time to take the matter any further for now, I am well behind with other matters in my life.

If/when I have the time I may return here to see if I can resolve the problem but, as it does not appear to be a major problem, I will leave things as they are now.

Thank you all for your support and help. I will mark this thread solved for now.

Regards

I have been tracking this thread with interest as it is a domain in which I need to learn a lot.  Please share with us what was done to fix the problem.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

MIJ,

I am not sure that I can add much to your knowledge bank about networking.

In the end I left the PC connected to the DSL Modem with the fixed TCP/IP address at 192.168.0.1 with ICS set.

I then set the other two PCs that share the internet connection to use automatic addresses with their Gateways set to 192.168.0.1

I tried getting The NIS 2009 Mapping to see all the PCs but that turned out to be a hit and miss/variable result.

I have received all sorts of advice in the Compuserve Windows Support forum including removing the DSL Modem and reinstalling and removing NIS 2009 and downloading NAV 2009 on a test basis. All of these require more work than I have time for and do not necessarily suggest a solution.

As I said, apart from NIS 2009 Mapping, everything seems to be working especially internet sharing. Home networking works although the PC attached to the modem does not always see both of the other PCs. Not a real problem as, one way or another I can get to all the drives on all three PCs to share data which is all that I really need for now.

I really would like to fully understand home networking and internet sharing but I really do have far more important things to deal with in my "real life".

Regards,

Kudos0

John_Louis wrote:

[ ... ]  but I really do have far more important things to deal with in my "real life".

Regards,

Fully understood and as long as you can access all computers and they can access the internet in the way you want to that is what really matters.

John_Louis wrote:

[ ...

I have received all sorts of advice in the Compuserve Windows Support forum including removing the DSL Modem and reinstalling and removing NIS 2009 and downloading NAV 2009 on a test basis. All of these require more work than I have time for and do not necessarily suggest a solution.

[ ... ]

I'd like to add a bit for the benefit of others including mijcar who beat me in raising the same question.

Removing the DSL modem connection and clearing all references to the local network was suggested here earlier in the thrread and was based on the concept that if the local network does not work then fix it first and see if everything then works on the LAN and if so whether adding the internet connection upset it.

The suggestion of removing NIS 2009 (and not just disabling its firewall) was based on the experience of one of the very experienced Compuserve "gurus" (who has sorted out networking problems I have had and those of others) who has found in the past with clients experiencing this problem that doing this and then reinstalling NIS after getting the LAN working had cured the problem BUT I do not know if is based on the 2009 generation or on earlier ones.

I have always been dubious of his recommendation but had not conclusive evidence either way on the current generation of NIS 2009 -- so following his "if all else fails" suggestion and then my suggestion of installing NAV 2009 would perhaps demonstrate whether it is in fact something in the NIS firewall.

The guru in question is an adamant believer that software firewalls are unnecessary if you have a hardware firewall (like a router/hub) but I've given up trying to persuade him that the biggest danger to your computer lies between the left ear and the right ear <g> in which case a backup alarm to the hardware firewall and an alarm on outgoing spam that trojans can create is not a disadvantage for the typical home user.

John is quite right in his decision although I don't totally agree that the exercise does not suggest a solution!

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh,

Just to clarify one point, I have a DSL modem directly connected to the PC. I don't have a router just an fairly old 8 port hub. I thought about a router some time ago but that would have needed a new modem as I could not find a cheap router that also had a USB port.

When you are retired on a fixed and rather limited pension one tends to keep what works and only buy what is really essential.

As far as removing the modem and starting again I discounted that option as I never had any problems getting online with the PC it was attached to, the problem was getting the correct settings for the other two PCs to access it which it did all along with the TCP/IP set to automatic addressing although that gave me problems with the home network until I set the Gateway as recommended.

I know that there are still some/many things about home networking that I do not fully understand, maybe that will be something to learn more about in the winter months.

What is disappointing is that the Wizard does not appear to do a proper job although, in the past when two of the PCs were different, still using XP Home, it worked.

Regards

John

Kudos0

John -

Glad that worked for you.  Your 'guru' friend on the other forum is most likely basing his experience on pre-2009 products but in some cases this advice will hold true.  The key to making this work was the Gateway configuration change on the two non-modemed machines (which I thought I mentioned in my configuration post or at least meant to).  Also, in the Home Network Monitoring map, don't discount small changes like moving the cables to different ports on the hub, swapping cable ends and replacing them.  I've seen that fix the most complex network problems after weeks of hunting in software.

You need anything else, come and ask again.

Kudos0

John_Louis wrote:

Hugh,

Just to clarify one point, I have a DSL modem directly connected to the PC. I don't have a router just an fairly old 8 port hub. I thought about a router some time ago but that would have needed a new modem as I could not find a cheap router that also had a USB port.

When you are retired on a fixed and rather limited pension one tends to keep what works and only buy what is really essential.

[ ... ]

I was generalizing on the reason for the advice given over on Compuserve but even so as a diagnostic technique it makes sense to get working in isolation what does not work and then add in the thing that did work, rather than the other way round <s>

But I understand what you are doing (or not doing) and most specifically your last remark which is doubled in Spades for me since my penion comes from the UK which was marvellous at over $2 to £1 and not so hot when it dropped in three months to $1.3 ..... At least it's on its way up at present.

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

John_Louis wrote:

Hugh,

[ ... ]

I was generalizing on the reason for the advice given over on Compuserve but even so as a diagnostic technique it makes sense to get working in isolation what does not work and then add in the thing that did work, rather than the other way round <s>

But I understand what you are doing (or not doing) and most specifically your last remark which is doubled in Spades for me since my penion comes from the UK which was marvellous at over $2 to £1 and not so hot when it dropped in three months to $1.3 ..... At least it's on its way up at present.

It's why I've become my own self-taught computer techie.  Fixed income was (almost) fine until my wife's vehicle decided to blow a transmission and my own now has a warning indicator flashing.  The problem with fixed income is that it's never quite enough income to fix anything.  Sad <g>.

mijN360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware
Kudos0

The biggest problem with fixed or very limited annual income increases is that prices are not subject to the same limitations.

Here, in the UK, just about everything that is essential to a normal life costs more almost every month. Food and household goods are rocketing up, local taxes, water costs, domestic gas and electricity are expensive. We gave up having a car simply because we could no longer afford to run one.

However, there is a plus side, at least we have a regular income even if it only just keeps us above the poverty line. Those who have lost their jobs only have very limited unemployment allowances.

Regards

John

Kudos0

<< my own now has a warning indicator flashing. >>

As mine did too last week. I took it into my local independant service garage since the Mazda dealer had quoted $700 to fix a previous warning light indication that was ignition related and which their service computer said required replacement of 2 coils wiring and lord knows what else but my local fixed for $200 plus advice to change my fuel source but this time it was the A/C ON light that flickered.

They diagnosed a faulty switch which makes sense but Mazda would ony sell them a complete front panel assembly at $400!

Since Dottie often fixes the computer by jiggling the wires and I reckoned they would have done this even accidentally in troubleshooting I said I'd wait over the weekend and it's been perfect ever since despite temperatures in the high 90's (water temperature in the Gulf was 92°F yesterday).

Hugh
Kudos0

And you don't run out of benefits on health care and get medication without payment, even if taxes are higher to pay for all that.
Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh,

Our National health Service, despite some limitations, is wonderful. Given the number of times Margaret has been hospitalised over the years, sometimes for months, the demands we have to place on our GP services and the frequent and continuous visits we need from the community nurses we must have cost the NHS a fortune.

My health needs are not so great but, having diabetes, does involve a number of health and eye checks.

Of course we have paid for it all of our working lives, except for the twelve years I was in the Royal Air Force where we had our own doctors, medics and hospitals.

Kudos0

I agree with you having lived so many years in the UK and also experienced the system in France ... but I'm looked after well by Medicare and the Veteran's Administration.
Hugh
Kudos0

I hope that it is acceptable to resurrect an old thread.

I now have my home network in a stable condition where all three PCs see each other consistently.

PC A, the one connected directly to the DSL modem, has fixed TCP/IP address of 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1.

PCs B and C are set to automatically configure the TCP/IP address.

In-so-far as using the PCs I now have no problems but the NIS2009 Network Security Mapping does not work as I believe it should.

I am still not sure how important having the mapping working correctly is or, indeed, if I should ignore it completely.

At the moment PC A only sees itself in the map. PCs B and C see each other and the Streamium device I have connected to the hub but not PC A.

Should I just ignore the discrepancies?

Regards

John

Kudos0

If the PCs see each other on the Windows level and you are happy with that, then ignore it.  Just one question; for PCs B and C, is DHCP enabled?  And, where is the DHCP on PC A then?  Or do you have it disabled?
Kudos0

Glad to see you back -- David was asking me the other day if you had solved the problem  and I gave him a brief description.
Hugh
Kudos0

Apologies for the reply delay, two hours of thunderstorms meant shutting down my PCs.

To  answer your question, yes, both B and C have DHCP enabled.

As I am still unsure what practical functions the mapping provides I am inclined to leave things as they are unless there is a simple solution to the problem.

Kudos0

It really doesn't add or lessen the security of the individual system (the Network Map that is).  Just there for convince and a place to set that unit's network Trust level.
Kudos0

Thank you very much. I think it really is time for me to stop worrying about it as you say it is not important.

Although I dislike  mysteries some things are not worth spending too much time for little gain.

Kind regards

John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.