• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS2009 autoupdate to 16.7.2.11 on W7, now icon has disappeared

I went through all the misery with the disappearing NIS icon on 16.7.2.11 with Windows 7, which was finally fixed with the Hot Fix - and now 16.7.2.11 auto-installed this morning, and the icon simply isn't there at all.  I can restart NIS, and it seems to run normally, at least for the short time I tried it, but the icon doesn't appear at all.  I think it is actually running in the background, as I see ccSvcHst.exe service running in Task Manager Services, but not having the icon with status indicator is not helpful.Message Edited by vicw on 09-14-2009 12:33 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS2009 autoupdate to 16.7.2.11 on W7, now icon has disappeared

Hi vicw,

please try out this fix over here:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090722175213EN&ln=en_US

The link above will lead you to the instructions and solution on the Microsoft website.

If you want to be sure, you can back up your registry beforehand.

Please post back to say whether it works. 

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-14-2009 06:38 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

Thanks, but I had already rebooted the system a couple of times, just to be sure.
Kudos0

Did you try out the fix above? Please try it out and tell us how it goes :-) It usually does the trick - other posters have experienced the same issue as you and were able to solve the problem with the fix.

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-14-2009 06:55 PM
Your Norton Ladybug.
Kudos0

There are a number of reasons that this fix shouldn't really apply to this problem, especially
since it seems to apply only to the Network, Volume and Power icons, and the description in the Article
talks just about icons not appearing until you restart the computer, whereas the NIS fails to appear after several reboots.  It also seems to be designated for systems running Vista (or presumably W7) for the first time, whereas I have been using
W7 on my system for at least a couple of months.   All of that aside, I did first try the automated "Fix this Problem", which refused to run on W7, so I bit the bullet and did the manual registry edit, which is my least favorite thing to do on my PC.

It did resolve the problem, at least in the sort term.  Hopefully, it will continue to operate normally. I'll write again if it goes South.

Thanks much for your help.

Message Edited by vicw on 09-14-2009 01:41 PM
Kudos0

Hi vicw,

Glad it worked, thanks for posting back with the good news.

If you consider your question answered to your satisfaction, please close this thread by clicking on the green solution button of the post which solved your issue. Thanks :-) 

Your Norton Ladybug.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.