• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS2010 and External Hard Drive Concerns

Hello All.

First for the basics:
Operating System- Windows XP Pro SP3, NIS 2010.

I just bought a WD Elements 1TB External Hard Drive.
I plan to use it to back up all of my personal files from My Documents, as well as the audio and video files, pictures, etc; That I have at present.

There's no manual  ( other than a hook up guide), so I assume that the instructions will included on the software that's on the drive itself.

I've read some horror stories about NIS blocking or else an external hard drive re-writing  files as Norton back-up or other such thing. I also read that  someone had a drive that worked perfectly  and then when they tried to plug the drive back in again after having disconnected  it,  it wouldn't be recognized as the files  have been re-written, etc.

So, before I even plug it in  and format it to NTFS ( if it's FAT), I want to know what is the safest way to go?

Should I just disable NIS  Anti-Virus Auto Protect, Firewall, Anti-Virus and then plug it in?

I plan to unplug it after backing up all of said files ( once I learn how to do it)
Also, I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon on my taskbar ( has been there as long as I can remember for some reason), I should click on it I assume before removing the drive?

The only thing about disabling NIS before plugging in each time, is that I may forget to do it once and then NIS will see it, and it will be  full of"duplicate files" of course...
I do worry about having the same problem that someone else had on this forum with an external  hard drive. It worked fine until they unplugged it, then when plugged back in, windows wouldn't recognize it,etc. 

Thanks in advance

XP Pro SP3NIS 2011Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on demand

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS2010 and External Hard Drive Concerns

Hello All.

First for the basics:
Operating System- Windows XP Pro SP3, NIS 2010.

I just bought a WD Elements 1TB External Hard Drive.
I plan to use it to back up all of my personal files from My Documents, as well as the audio and video files, pictures, etc; That I have at present.

There's no manual  ( other than a hook up guide), so I assume that the instructions will included on the software that's on the drive itself.

I've read some horror stories about NIS blocking or else an external hard drive re-writing  files as Norton back-up or other such thing. I also read that  someone had a drive that worked perfectly  and then when they tried to plug the drive back in again after having disconnected  it,  it wouldn't be recognized as the files  have been re-written, etc.

So, before I even plug it in  and format it to NTFS ( if it's FAT), I want to know what is the safest way to go?

Should I just disable NIS  Anti-Virus Auto Protect, Firewall, Anti-Virus and then plug it in?

I plan to unplug it after backing up all of said files ( once I learn how to do it)
Also, I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon on my taskbar ( has been there as long as I can remember for some reason), I should click on it I assume before removing the drive?

The only thing about disabling NIS before plugging in each time, is that I may forget to do it once and then NIS will see it, and it will be  full of"duplicate files" of course...
I do worry about having the same problem that someone else had on this forum with an external  hard drive. It worked fine until they unplugged it, then when plugged back in, windows wouldn't recognize it,etc. 

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Itsme,

There are some rare cases reported in the forum with problems occurred when using external drives with Norton Internet Security 2010. This doesn't mean that you may encounter problems when using the external drive. You don't have to disable Auto-Protect while backing up files to external drive or formatting the external drive. Normally, Norton 2010 won't interfere with any of these operations associated with Windows. 

You can always report here if you face any problems with using the external drives with Norton 2010.

Yogesh

Message Edited by yogesh_mohan on 12-06-2009 06:00 PM
Kudos0

I am in agreement with Yogesh.

I would not anticipate any problems with using your external drive.

By way of example, I have multiple drives connected, some vis USB and others via 1394 Firewire. I always leave NIS 2010 completely enabled and it has never interfered with accessing these drives, nor has any data been "rewritten".

Hope that helps.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Hi itsme

I have an external hard drive which I use for my backup. I have the backup drive always plugged in. If you have the proper backup program, it should back up your information all the time or I do it manually every morning. The program I use backs up what I want backed up when I want to run it. It deletes the things that have changed and puts in the new updated information. If it's left plugged in, then Norton's scans the external drive also. In other words, my back up drive is always up to date with the up to date information. The old program I used to use, made the changes, but it never took away the old information. My current program takes away the old files or the ones I don't want any more.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you have the proper backup program and it's set up correctly, then you should leave the backup drive connected. My backup program is even smart enough when you have to restore the files and your hard drive letters have changed, it still knows where to put the information again. After my recent hard drive death, I just love this backup program.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

First of all, thanks to yogesh, Phil, and floplot.

I have finally rearranged my files in documents, which includes deleting, creating, organizing all of my files in my music and my videos as well. In addition I had to do the same to some other files on my desktop.
It's amazing how things can get out of hand!

So I got it all done and finally plugged in my western digital external hard drive ( WD Elements).

I have to copy and move files manually with this one as it doesn't do it automatically ( which is what I wanted).

I've had no problem with it and NIS2010.
I left it hooked up when I had it formatted in NTFS, but I unplug it from the USB (while using the safety remove hardware tool) now as I have it formatted to FAT32 and one of my programs that I use to clean my files, etc; Doesn't work with it and causes problems.
I just hook it back up if I need to add or remove something to it and it works great.
I haven't tried to use Norton to scan it while it's formatted to FAT32 as I don't know if Norton will work with it, but when I had it in NTFS I did scan it with Norton and just left it plugged in.

I just wanted to let you all know that I had no problems with Norton and this particular external hard drive.

Thanks again.

Kudos0

Hi Itsme

Look into Genie Backup Manager Pro...

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.