• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS2011 stops working after system restore

I did a system restore after disabling NIS(so that it does not interfere with system restore) but on reboot NIS just keeps 'fixing' itself without ever being fixed, a reboot did not fix it.

What should I do?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS2011 stops working after system restore

I did a system restore after disabling NIS(so that it does not interfere with system restore) but on reboot NIS just keeps 'fixing' itself without ever being fixed, a reboot did not fix it.

What should I do?

Kudos0

Hi

During system Restore if you don`t turn off tamper protection it will cause problems

Please Reinstall Norton

FOR A REINSTALL

Backup identity safe if you use

Intruction on how to are present in this link

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=kb20100422131249EN_EndUserPro...

Download NIS from here

www.norton.com/nis11 english version

download norton Removal tool!

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

after you have download both disconnect from internet uninsall norton via Add/remove Control Panel

run the removal tool twice after doing so install Norton connect to internet and update till no more updates are available!

Midou
Kudos0

Uninstall NIS 2011 and reinstall it again. Ensure that you run LiveUpdate manually until it tells you that there are no more updates available. The LiveUpdate downloads will be at least 100MB so please keep this in mind. System Restore is a fickle thing as far as it's impact on your Internet Security software is concerned...

Kudos0

Disabling tamper protection allows the system restore to take place.  It doesn't prevent damaging the Norton product.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.Mark Twain
Kudos0

Thank you, I reinstalled NIS and its now working

However this is weird, I never had to disable the self defense module for other AVs before doing a system restore

Kudos0

Hi if you wish to restore without turning off Tamper protection 

please see this suggestion

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Product-Ideas/System-Restore-and-Tamper-Protection/idi-p/220003

Midou
Kudos0

BanMidou wrote:

Hi if you wish to restore without turning off Tamper protection 

please see this suggestion

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Product-Ideas/System-Restore-and-Tamper-Protection/idi-p/220003

As I read that link it does not have anything to do with running System Restore without turning off Tamper Protection but rather including a specific warning presumably triggered by starting System Restore that you need to disable Tampa Protection first.

Hugh
Kudos0

yowanvista wrote:

Thank you, I reinstalled NIS and its now working

However this is weird, I never had to disable the self defense module for other AVs before doing a system restore

Hi yowanvista,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

System restore points include components used by NIS and the problem is that when you restore your system you are replacing some Norton files and other files used by Norton. Windows will restore those files from the time frame in which the system restore point was first created.  In the meantime Norton may have had other changes due to live update, etc which are not part of system restore. So when you restore your system using Windows system restore facilities it can cause some files to be "out of step" with where things should be with Norton and can therefore cause Norton to malfunction where it may have to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

System restore is most useful for restoring Windows to a prior state after things like a failed driver update or other software install which has made your system unstable or unbootable. The further back in time you go with system restore the more potential there is for issues like this but the worst should be having to uninstall and reinstall Norton as you have discovered.

Hope this helps explain a bit more.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Windows System Restore breaks at least one other security program, presumably for the same sort of reason. I was just dealing in another support site with someone who ran into this and had to reinstall their product.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.