• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

nis2012 local vault has disappeared

i have two xpsp3,ie8,nis2012(19.9.0.9), mbam on-demand.  yesterday using my hp machine everything working as it should. i come back 6 hours later, get on the hp machine my local vault is gone. i try to login in and only option is online vault. what the hell happened?   everything working great on my other machine. i'm the only user.   thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: nis2012 local vault has disappeared

Topopurim47 wrote:

i have two xpsp3,ie8,nis2012(19.9.0.9), mbam on-demand.  yesterday using my hp machine everything working as it should. i come back 6 hours later, get on the hp machine my local vault is gone. i try to login in and only option is online vault. what the hell happened?   everything working great on my other machine. i'm the only user.   thanks

When you try to log in, do you see a link to log into Local vault as shown below?

Check that you are still on version 19.9.0.9 and did not get an upgrade to 20.x.x.x..

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

thanks for your reply.  i checked my version(19.9.0.9)   and i do not have the login to local option.  i have no idea what has happened to my id safe. until yesterday whenever i clicked on id safe the box said vault(local) been using this for a couple of years.  now when i click on id safe, box says vault(online) .   i want my local vault back.  i've already downloaded nis2012 installer to my desktop.  i'm sure i'm looking at a unin/reinstall.   this situation is making me very uneasy about norton.  thanks

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

thanks for your reply.  i checked my version(19.9.0.9)   and i do not have the login to local option.  i have no idea what has happened to my id safe. until yesterday whenever i clicked on id safe the box said vault(local) been using this for a couple of years.  now when i click on id safe, box says vault(online) .   i want my local vault back.  i've already downloaded nis2012 installer to my desktop.  i'm sure i'm looking at a unin/reinstall.   this situation is making me very uneasy about norton.  thanks

Before you try reinstalling, log out of your Norton account from the login window. You will see it towards the bottom right in the image I posted above.

Reboot your computer.

Then try to log into Identity Safe again. Does that offer the local vault now?

Kudos0

peter,    i've tried that about 4 times, even turned machine off over night. its online vault only. do you think this could have something to do with chrome even though i not having this problem on the other machine(the one i'm using now)?

Kudos0

Switch to another antivirus, like kaspersky pure 2.0. That has an online vault also. I did and I have no problems anymore.

I was a norton customer for 4 years till this happened.

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

peter,    i've tried that about 4 times, even turned machine off over night. its online vault only. do you think this could have something to do with chrome even though i not having this problem on the other machine(the one i'm using now)?

Does this still happen in a different browser? IE or Firefox.

If things are still not working, you can try the reinstall using the Norton Removal Tool

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2012 from here    www.norton.com/nis12
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data.
Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.
Reboot.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Run the NIS installer.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Try to access your Identity safe local vault using your old password.

If that does not work, Import your Identity Safe data and try again.

Let me know how it goes.

Kudos0

peter,    yes it happens in both ie8 and  chrome.   all of my logins are gone.   i just don't understand how something like this can happen without some kind of interaction.   i'm going to wait on reinstalling and see if this has happened to anyone else.  thanks

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

peter,    yes it happens in both ie8 and  chrome.   all of my logins are gone.   i just don't understand how something like this can happen without some kind of interaction.   i'm going to wait on reinstalling and see if this has happened to anyone else.  thanks

I've seen Online vaults disappear, but yours is the first I can remember that had a working local vault disappear, especially on a 2012 version.

The reinstall would not take that long, and is probably the only way you can get the local vault back.

Let us know what you do.

Kudos0

peter,     removed nis2012 thru control panel-reboot,  ran nrt -reboot    ran nis installer(last update 300 days ago??)   ran all updates,etc,etc.    clicked on id safe--online vault   you can't imagine how pissed i am at this moment.  i do not have a smart phone,ipad, or anything else.  i want my local vault back and an answer how all this can happen in the first place. i've been a norton user for 9 yrs but they are trying my patiance. just ranting.   thanks

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

peter,     removed nis2012 thru control panel-reboot,  ran nrt -reboot    ran nis installer(last update 300 days ago??)   ran all updates,etc,etc.    clicked on id safe--online vault   you can't imagine how pissed i am at this moment.  i do not have a smart phone,ipad, or anything else.  i want my local vault back and an answer how all this can happen in the first place. i've been a norton user for 9 yrs but they are trying my patiance. just ranting.   thanks

The 'last update 300 days ago' is normal for a product that is 1 year old.

Have you checked to see you are still on version 19.x.x.x?

Can you post a screenshot of your log in window?

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/m-p/254415#U254415

I have used this same procedure and still have the local vault.

Kudos0

Just a quick note make sure you turn off automatic download of new version after you get things working right by  open main interface >settings>computer>automatic download of new version  to off  click on apply then OK  Then check that you are at nis 2012 version 19.9.09    VERY IMPORTANT export both the dat and csv formats of your passwords to a safeplace. I use a flash drive this as its the most safe place to do this if you use the Norton remove tool

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

I recently reverted back to NIS 2012, nd when I ran Live Update (LU) ir showed it completed - but the last update was outdated.  I did the Support > Subscription Status which brought my NIS 2012 back into active status then ran LU without any problem. 

I also had no Local Vault - the reason I reverted - so I did either a create or setup (I'm sorry I can't tememebr which - but it was the only one offered of the two) and set up a Local Vault, Imported my saved CSV backup from NIS 2013 and I now have a Local Vault and have not bothered to set up an online vault on my laptop.  I also have a backup in DAT and CSv on a USB drive that I always carry in my laptop case - just in case.

Kudos0

peter and yank,      thanks for replies and help.  i've been very busy and hadn't worked on a fix until today. i have my local vault back----settings-idsafe-config but my logins are gone. iwill enter manually.   i am still concerned, UNEASY, and pissed that this could happen.   using local id safe for last two years and working fine. turn off computer.   come back 6 plus hours later-turn on computer, local id safe is gone and vault says online.  thanks for listening.

Kudos1 Stats

Topopurim47 wrote:

peter and yank,      thanks for replies and help.  i've been very busy and hadn't worked on a fix until today. i have my local vault back----settings-idsafe-config but my logins are gone. iwill enter manually.   i am still concerned, UNEASY, and pissed that this could happen.   using local id safe for last two years and working fine. turn off computer.   come back 6 plus hours later-turn on computer, local id safe is gone and vault says online.  thanks for listening.

If you have a thumb drive, you can go to your other machine with the working Identity Safe and Export the Identity Safe data to the thumb drive. Then take that to the other computer and Import the data to your new local vault.

Kudos1 Stats

peter, thanks for suggestion.  i had an npm backup-i emailed npm file to other machine-imported without a hitch. now that i've had a chance to calm down, i'm kind of glad this happened.  the uninstall/reinstall of nis2012 has made norton and my computer snappier and more reponsive.    i have made a another id safe backup using the dat file.    thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hi Topopurim47,

It may not be a bad idea to export a copy in CSV format as well - since the CSV can be opened as a text file with notepad/wordpad and be printed out.

Kudos0

yank, i tried to make a csv backup but it won't let me make a password for it.

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

I just checked on my installation of NIS 2012 also and the option for a password on the CSV export of my Local Vault is also grayed out.  I guess that the only option now is not to use a password.  It may be designed that way since it is not encryted as the DAT Export is. 

Kudos0

yank,    having the csv file not password protected seems like a bad idea to me. thanks

Kudos0

Topopurim47 wrote:

peter, thanks for suggestion.  i had an npm backup-i emailed npm file to other machine-imported without a hitch. now that i've had a chance to calm down, i'm kind of glad this happened.  the uninstall/reinstall of nis2012 has made norton and my computer snappier and more reponsive.    i have made a another id safe backup using the dat file.    thanks for your help.

Glad to hear you have things back.

A good move to do the backup again.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Topopurim47 wrote:

I just checked on my installation of NIS 2012 also and the option for a password on the CSV export of my Local Vault is also grayed out.  I guess that the only option now is not to use a password.  It may be designed that way since it is not encryted as the DAT Export is. 

The .CSV (comma separated values) file format is just that - comma separated, plain ASCII text, CR/LF delimited, generally meant for importing into a spreadsheet or database table or such-like structure.  How or why would one go about passwording it?  You could apply some external encryption (such as .ZIP+encryption) I suppose, but that would defeat the intended purpose of the file format as being a fully open, programmatic interchange communication pathway.  For example, you can take that exported .CSV file into a spreadsheet (such as Excel – yes Excel will happily open a .CSV file) and then view it or print it.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

yank wrote:

Topopurim47 wrote:

The .CSV (comma separated values) file format is just that - comma separated, plain ASCII text, CR/LF delimited, generally meant for importing into a spreadsheet or database table or such-like structure.  How or why would one go about passwording it?  You could apply some external encryption (such as .ZIP+encryption) I suppose, but that would defeat the intended purpose of the file format as being a fully open, programmatic interchange communication pathway.  For example, you can take that exported .CSV file into a spreadsheet (such as Excel – yes Excel will happily open a .CSV file) and then view it or print it.

Kind Regards,

John

The reason I would want to password protect the CSV file is the same reason I would want to password protect the DAT file...Security.

If you just want to use the file immediately for the uses you mention and are going to delete it when you are done, there would be no need for that. If you want the redundancy of the two file formats as a backup, the password protection should be available.

Kudos0

Kind Regards,

John

The reason I would want to password protect the CSV file is the same reason I would want to password protect the DAT file...Security.

If you just want to use the file immediately for the uses you mention and are going to delete it when you are done, there would be no need for that. If you want the redundancy of the two file formats as a backup, the password protection should be available.

I had the same issue with wanting to protect CSV file, so imported it into Excel and then saved it as a spreadsheet with a password, and deleted the CSV file.  Just a word of caution, if you import the CSV file and it has a leading zero somewhere this will be dropped, so better to rename the CSV file as a TXT file, and then import it setting all fields as text fields.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

picks wrote:
I had the same issue with wanting to protect CSV file, so imported it into Excel and then saved it as a spreadsheet with a password, and deleted the CSV file.  Just a word of caution, if you import the CSV file and it has a leading zero somewhere this will be dropped, so better to rename the CSV file as a TXT file, and then import it setting all fields as text fields.

Hope this helps.

Hi picks, just for clarification, you are talking about importing the CSV file into Excel in regards to the leading zero being dropped and changing it to a TXT file.
I just want folks to know you can't change the CSV to  TXT and then improt it back into Norton.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.