Solved.
Kudos0

NIS/NAV/N360 22.5.0.124 - WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?????

Is there ANYBODY home at Symantec that can answer our question as to whether this

porked version of Internet Security is going to be fixed??...  

This is ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous.

Your software came close to bricking my computer I paid A LOT of money for.... (and all of the other users for that matter too)

Can someone from Symantec PLEASE  answer this ...

Thank You

Mike

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: NIS/NAV/N360 22.5.0.124 - WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?????

Hello Mike

Please remember to run live update until no more updates and restart when all finished with them.

Glad to hear that your issue is solved. Could you please pick a post which you think solved your issue.? This way your thread will show as solved and it will also help other users with a similar problem. Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

click > HOT ISSUES - NIS/NAV/N360 22.5.0.124

Post back your issue... Thanks

Kudos0

I'm sorry for shouting in my original post but I have been so frustrated.... I normally do not do that.
my issues were/are:
  1.  when this update automatically downloaded and I re-started my machine (Window 8)  it went into a massive
      loop when re-booting and it would not boot clean.  Finally I was able (by hitting the F8 key) to get the machine to boot up.  It took 2 hours for me
    to figure it out.
  2.  Now it tells me my machine is at risk and I need to fix it . so I hit the fix button and it does
       nothing.  no status no update nothing... I dont know if my machine is actually protected.
       I also used the right-click method of a quick scan via the system tray icon and it's still the same.
3.  Can I revert to the previous version and if so , how can I successfully uninstall this latest version
     and put the version 21 back in until Symantec fixes this?
Again my apologies.
Mike

Kudos1 Stats

hi Mike

In my opinion most of the problems with the new version of NAV/NIS/N360 have been when the update was delivered by the Live Update automatically. I updated by using the New Version Check in the dropdown menu on the main Norton UI, and have had little problem with it other than the ID Safe not working properly which has for me been fixed.

The new version once installed correctly seems to work much more smoothly than the old indeed my laptop seems to have an overall improvement.

Perhaps a full uninstall of the program by uninstalling through Windows "Uninstall a Program" running the Norton Removal Tool then reinstalling your Norton product would help.

If you prefer to revert to the previous version there are several threads in the forum which help in this, depending on which product you have installed.

Michael

Kudos0

Good for you that you had the foresight to use the New Version Check option- for me I didn't know there was a new version until I started my computer and Norton started to update automatically without giving me an option to update later or do anything else- then it froze all my system resources as it started it's lengthy installation process for about 30 minutes, had to restart and then took another 20 minutes to finish updating.

Uninstall or Norton Removal Tool options to fix a buggy and poorly tested update- I think not.  Better to switch to another antivirus program with less hassles than Norton.

Kudos0

Hi bjm_, how do we reply to the HOT ISSUES one because it looks like you can't and its a moderated one? In which case can the moderators update it with all the other stuff like endless reboots and borked machines on downloading and installing?

Hi michaelsalis   have to disagree with you there, I downloaded my update manually and it really borked my machine, and on another it had downloaded itself and semi-borked it so not convinced either route is any better. NEITHER route should be doing this though.

Still hoping to see some awakening from Symantec though but looks like no-one from Symantec's bothered so clearly on a hiding to nothing on that one.

Cheers,

David

Kudos1 Stats

Ronald Yorko:

Uninstall or Norton Removal Tool options to fix a buggy and poorly tested update- I think not.  Better to switch to another antivirus program with less hassles than Norton.

I agree it was a buggy update but the only way to fix your system is to use the Norton Removal Tool and download a clean install file from your Norton Account. Or remove Norton and use another antivirus program. Its your choice at this point.

I did this on my systems and have no problems.

Jim

Kudos0

OK so I found a link to the download for version 21 of NIS. Question : before Uninstalling vers 22, running the removal tool and then installing vers 21, should I remove the entry on my account for that computer?? Wasn't sure if it keeps track of version and don't want any version mismatch probs I have the same product key on 3 machines. The 2 others seemed to have updated fine..... (WIN 7)...My machine that's fubared is a win8

Kudos1 Stats

I think it is best to remove it in you Account first. The Account can get confused.

If you have a Local Vault check this thread before removing.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Jim

Kudos0

Thanks Jim, I'll do that first and report back....
Kudos1 Stats

Hello

If you have Windows 8, please disable Fast Startup before you do anything else. Norton recommends that Fast Startup be disabled because Norton needs a complete shutdown and a full start up in order to function correctly. This is also needed for a lot of other programs also. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

thanks... I never turned that feature on so I'm good there.... 

Mike

Kudos0

good to go.... I successfully installed the vers 21 of NIS after uninstalling via add/remove programs and then running that Norton removal tool... 

first thing I did was turn off the new program version auto download feature.... sheesh....  nice to see my 

virus scans running again... 

thanks to all, much appreciated

Mike

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hello Mike

Please remember to run live update until no more updates and restart when all finished with them.

Glad to hear that your issue is solved. Could you please pick a post which you think solved your issue.? This way your thread will show as solved and it will also help other users with a similar problem. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Here is the link I looked at that helped me:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/downgrade-version-2250124-possible

Yank's and Floplot's replies  stating where to find the Version 21 and Removal Tool and the order in which to 

do it is what I used.

my steps were as follows:

1.  Downloaded the version 21 install and Removal Tool

2.  Deleted the PC entry  I was having problems with,  in My Norton Account  .

3.  Uninstalled version 22 via add/remove programs.

4.   Re-started

5.   Ran the Removal Tool.

6.   Re-started

7.   Installed Version 21 and Immediately turned off the automatic program update option (Not LiveUpdate)

8.   Installed my current product key.

9.   Ran Liveupdate to catch up to current.

10. scanned with no probs.

Kudos0

Sorry, floplot, how can he mark the thread as solved?

No-one's actually answered the question yet!!!!

Michael merely appears to be back to where he was before the 22.5.0.124 update torched his machine. I kinda doubt he's happy about his (corporate speak) "experience".

Kudos1 Stats

Hi, I marked it solved as unfortunately I have no desire to update to even a fixed version 22. I just renewed my subscription a month ago so I'm sticking with NIS, but after it expires, doubtful.

Kudos0

Norton is supposed to protect our computers, not trash them in a poorly developed and poorly tested update.  No real response or accountability from Norton here.

Kudos0

An update has just been released which addresses several issues. See link below.

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norto...

Kudos0

Unless I'm mistaken, this update covers issues with Windows 10- no mention of older operating systems.

Kudos0

Beat me to it... was just about to ask the same question.

Have you addressed ANY of the issues we've been talking about, like borking 8.1, XP etc...? Dpesn't look like it?

How do we know if its safe to let you update again?

Thanks.

Kudos0

Last night I received a large Live Update which included an update for the NSBU Engine on 2 Windows 8.1, 2 Windows 7 and 1 Windows Vista devices.

I have not had chance to check them all as I only discovered it was to update to 22.5.2.15.

When checking my Surface Pro 8.1 the version is as above and Outlook appears to at least be sending what it thinks is Spam to the Junk folder although on this occasion the emails were not Spam but it is early days so shall see what happens over the next few days.

On at least the Vista and 1 Windows 7 device the version is shown as 22.0.0.110. I have run Live Update on both these devices no further Engine updates have been received and the version remains 22.0.0.110. I don't know if Outlook is diverting Spam as I've not received any.

It was strange that the Surface asked for a restart after the download/installation whereas none of the other devices did.

I decided to uninstall NSwB on the Vista device as a test when I reinstalled the 22.5.2.15 version was installed. I have not been able to check Outlook as no Spam has been received.

Michael 

Kudos0

Any doubts, rollback to version 21 and turn off the program version automatic install option...
Kudos0

Perhaps I'm wrong, but there seems to be a prevalent misconception regarding Spam/Junk email detection and who/what/if detected and filtered it...

1) Many email client programs already have built-in filtering (which may, or may not be user controllable).
2) Many ISPs offer filtering (which can electively be turned on/off, and maybe otherwise configurable/controllable).
3) Norton security products have filtering (which BTW, defaults to being turned on, but can electively be turned off).

All three of these different "detection systems" can be simultaneously operational...

So how does one know which filter did a given message's spam/junk detection/filtering?

The only one of the above three that specifically identifies itself as the acting agent is Norton - It identifies itself as the acting agent by adding a "Tag" at the beginning of the offending message's subject field. More specifically, it inserts the text, "[Norton AntiSpam]" into the field.

So, for example - If some nefarious type sends you a spam/junk email containing lots of bad news web-links in its message body, and labels it with a subject line of "Check out these great prospects!" - If/when the Norton AntiSpam filter does the job of detecting this message for what it really is, the message that ends up in your email client's junk/spam bin (hopefully) is a message re-titled (by Norton) "[Norton AntiSpam] Check out these great prospects!"

Kudos0

hi John

I mistakenly posted the above in this post, I thought I was in the 22.5.0.124 re Outlook thread and didn't realise.

I was just noting my experience since the update.

Things seem to be settling down quite well.

Michael

Kudos0

Update from Norton Team:

As described in the HOT ISSUES link above the team discovered some issues with the 22.5.0 release of the software.  These impacted a very small number of users and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.  Every Norton software update is carefully monitored for any problems across our global customer base.  If problems are reported by users we endeavor to resolve them as quickly as possible.

You will note that the more recent (as of 7/22/15) update 22.5.2 corrects many of these issues and should resolve outstanding concerns you may have.  Note that what was released as version 22.5.0 was not Beta code as has been characterized by some posters.  The only way in which you will ever receive Beta software is if you explicitly sign up and request to be a part of a Beta program. 

As always we welcome your feedback on all of our software releases.  We also encourage you to contact the Norton support team if you are having problems with Norton software so we can diagnose the problem with your specific machine configuration.

It is important to keep your Norton software up to date – malware is changing continuously and new vulnerabilities and exploits are being detected on a daily basis.  The Norton security team continuously monitors for threats globally and pushes down software and solutions to your system to protect you and your data.       

Kudos0

Your HOT ISSUES don't cover the one I and others reported whereby your download leaves the laptop bricked in an endless reboot cycle. I'd have thought this was a HOT ISSUE. I have set Automatic Download of New Version back to ON on this laptop now. I sincerely hope it doesn't do that again.

Your website invited folk to join Beta of version blah. Your Automatic Download of New Version downloaded version blah anyway. So one can only surmise you DID give out Beta code. Many have suggested with so many - obvious - bugs in it it was Alpha code. It was certainly lousily tested by any standards.

On Support, as these are really good Forums, one of your strengths, it might be wise if Symantec itself paid more attention to them and participated rather more (or indeed, at all). I suspect more folk gravitate towards these than have what appears to be from other comments endless conversations with offshore. Additionally if you brick my laptop how am I supposed to Chat to Support in the first place?!

The laptop you bricked was a fairly young Windows 8.1 one, with plenty of memory, CPU etc, and effectively a base build as I've yet to populate it with stuff.

I would question the comment on your fixing things really quickly. Fast Startup has been knackered for a year from what I can see. I think I read you'd now fixed that in one of these recent updates but that doesn't feel really quickly.

So on this laptop shields are now down to automatically receive the latest version. I hope you don't brick it again but I have a fresh disk image just in case.

Finally, I pay you to protect my kit, not wreck it, but if you do I expect a rather more honest and expeditious response and less of the "it wisnae me" about it all because it "wis" you. Honesty and humility would get Symantec far more sympathy and empathy than apparent arrogance.

Kudos0

sonfly1-

Comments made due to the instability of this initial release being like a Beta were made to reflect the evident lack of proper and through testing by Norton before the release.  Many think it was so bad it should have still been in the Alpha stage.

I'm glad Norton has corrected many of the issues with this release after the fact- this just points out the poor pre-testing by Norton of this release.  And the initial release caused problems for users on ALL machine configurations to varying degrees.

For over 5 years I've never had problems with Norton updates and new versions until now.  Defend your mistake all you want, but this has shaken my confidence in Norton.

Kudos1 Stats

I think as a seasoned software user and having PC experience for over 20 years it is safe to say some of what Ronald said above rings true.

By not acknowledging the elephant in the room I can only presume it was a robotic regurgitated post that employees are told to say, or sonfly1 is not representative of the user base being a junior developer.

When I grew up the only updates you got were by floppy disc from a magazine. This meant if the product was not stable and out of beta you would dare not release it as there was no way to quickly fix the issues. Todays internet access and speeds give developers an excuse to 'roll out an update' when it should have been tested more thoroughly in the first place!

Kudos1 Stats

I wish I had been aware of this forum last week.  Symantec just bricked my netbook.  I upgraded it to windows 10 and everything was working fine (which, frankly had me quite surprised).  But then I got a message from NAV that I need to upgrade to a new version.  I went ahead -- huge mistake!  After several hours of telling me that it was downloading, it eventually gave up.  The computer tried to reboot but it was not to be.  Windows 10 had been destroyed.  The OS tries to do a repair but failed.  I tried booting using the windows.old but that also failed.  On Friday I wasted an hour chatting with a useless support person ("are you writing from the affected PC?"  "Of course not! it is dead!").  He promised that a more senior person would call me but of course that never happened.  Eventually, I gave up and used the PC's recovery procedure to reinstall Windows 7.  Needless to say I lost all my applications and data in the process.  Thanks for nothing!

If you upgrade to windows 10 DO NOT upgrade NAV.  remove the old version and find a replacement.

Kudos0

I'd keep on the phone with Norton and demand a refund.  They obviously did no testing of their product on Windows 10.

On prior Windows version, this last update wrecked havoc on everyone's machines, from bricking the computer, to constant blue screens, to hours to properly install.  I've been a Norton user for about 10 yrs. and NEVER had trouble from an update like this last one.  It obviously wasn't tested well before being released, and Norton didn't even realize there was a problem until everyone started complaining.

Kudos1 Stats

Yep, I have had enough of all this.  I have not yet made the jump to Windows 10, but the current version of NIS (22.5.2.15) is a joke even on Windows 8.1.  Functions that used to work well and unobtrusively, now require endless fiddling, and the exclusion of files that have never been flagged as bad ever before.  The inability to temporarily disable AutoProtect and not be able to resolve just why it thinks 'remediation' is necessary.  Identity Safe misbehaving etc etc.  I have better things to do than trawl through tens of thousands of my files trying to 'trust' a few that Norton does not know about, only to have to then perform explicit exclusions for them as well, and still not be able to disable AutoProtect.

It's a laugh.

My subscription is about to expire and I have removed NIS from two of my three systems and installed "Bitdefender Internet Security 2015" instead.  So far so good, although I am disappointed that there is no way to import my Identity Safe data even via CSV file.

I am a LONG time user of Symantec (Norton) security products, but this looks like the end of the road for me.

Kudos1 Stats

I briefly came back from the late 90's to try them out again, done the rounds with the rest of the best so thought I would give them a go considering they hit well in the rankings. Initially things were going good then since the forced update it went horribly downhill.

I would echo JustRight's sentiments. Seeing so many irated posts on here and how I had to spend weeks getting my system back to normal after Norton corrupted some files I dare not chance it with windows 10 on my upgrade list on the horizon. How on earth they prepared for w10 then come up with all the issues I am seeing makes me believe company's do little testing these days and use the customers as a guinea pigs.

My subscription mail message has warned me about expiry and I think I will give a renewal a miss. Another negative would be how some users have had the extra features such as network map stripped off them without thinking it through. I may try them out again one day but they would need to do some serious improving and grovelling to get my cash again.

Sorry to sound so negative but sloppy products and the in your face "you are not protected" messages just because you didnt defrag or whatever completely switches me off.

Lots for the Norton brand to think about, and they could do well listening to the customers feedback on here!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.