• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NISS 2009/OUTLOOK EXPRESS 'STALLS'/QUESTION ALSO ABOUT 'PULSE' UPDATES

Installed NIS2009 about 3 days ago - it went smoothly (via c.d.) no problems and set-up easily enough and obtained all the past definitions in record-time (this is my first time with high-speed for any security installation)

But have a 'few' concerns:

I'm Win XP, I.E. 6.0 .2900.2180 /Sp2 Outlook Exp. 6x: RoadRunner server via Brighthouse.

Several times while O.E. was open and operating, it 'stalled '(my word') -it tried to download email from the server but i saw the 'scale' seemed stuck....so I    tried to 'end process' via Task Mgr.  - nothing - then the box showing CCSVCHST. exe  appeared  with ''end now' choice - -clicked to 'end' -  it didn't 'take' &  kept reappearing - so i gave up &  shut-down via the tower/power button and system rebooted.  Same thing happened today but the first try at 'end now' for CCSVCHST.exe worked .

This is a new problem since installed Norton- i was using Trend Micro 2008 S.S. - never had this but then i didn't have it's mail-scanner enabled.

In Norton ISS both in/out mail are enabled. 

So,if the email 'scanning' program is causing problems as mail arrives from server to O.E. Is it o.k. to disable both in/out email scanning with Norton in case of conflicts with Outlook Express?   I know R.R. server scans mail as it comes into their mailbox before it's downloaded into O.E.  Is 'that' enough 'protection' for email?

Also the 'Pulse' updates - are they totally necessary if i always to a 'manual' update myself? (in case the pulse-updates are causing any problems?

Thanks in advance for any advices ....Edythe

Message Edited by EDYTHE on 08-11-2009 04:48 PM

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NISS 2009/OUTLOOK EXPRESS 'STALLS'/QUESTION ALSO ABOUT 'PULSE' UPDATES

Hello EDYTHE,

A few thoughts:

1) Since you installed from CD which may have the earlier version, I wonder if your product has "arrived" at the latest version which is delivered via Live Update. Could you check "Help & Support" > "About" and let us know your version? The current one is 16.5.0.135.

2) If you had Trend Micro previously installed, you might want to run this Trend Micro Toolkit to be sure all remnants of TM have been removed.

3) The Norton Pulse Updates are very small and short in duration, so I would not think that is causing your issue. They offer an additional level of protection by adding new definitions between the Live Update cycles.

Before making any other suggestions, I'd like to her back from you on these items.

Thanks!

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

Hello EDYTHE,

A few thoughts:

1) Since you installed from CD which may have the earlier version, I wonder if your product has "arrived" at the latest version which is delivered via Live Update. Could you check "Help & Support" > "About" and let us know your version? The current one is 16.5.0.135.

HELLO - (excuse the 'caps') ..yes just checked as you instructed -  have 'current - 16.5.0.135

2) If you had Trend Micro previously installed, you might want to run this Trend Micro Toolkit to be sure all remnants of TM have been removed. I WENT INTO I.E./PROGRAMS, ETC. NETWORK CONNECTIONS, FIREWALL, ETC. ETC. AND DID A SEARCH OF T.M. 'ANYTHING' AND ALL IS 'GONE' ... DIDN'T GO INTO REGISTRY THO...

3) The Norton Pulse Updates are very small and short in duration, so I would not think that is causing your issue. They offer an additional level of protection by adding new definitions between the Live Update cycles.  O.K. THANKS

Before making any other suggestions, I'd like to her back from you on these items.  WHAT ABOUT THE ccSVCHST that THAT IS WHAT SHOWS TO BE 'NOT RESPONDING' AND TO 'END THAT PROGRAM' - READ THAT THERE ARE SOMETIMES 'DUEL' ENTRIES OF THIS PROGRAM IN THE PROCESSES AREA OF TASK MGR. THAT AREN'T NECESSARY - DO YOU AGREE ?   I MADE A SCREEN SHOT OF MY PROCESSES IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT BUT 'HOW' DO I EMBED THOSE TWO SCREEN-SHOTS HERE ?  NICE OF YOU TO OFFER HELP - MUCH APPRECIATED ...EDYTHE

Thanks!

Kudos0

Glad to hear that you have the latest version. 

The reason I suggested the TM Toolkit is because it may remove leftovers that are not easily found during a user initiated search. It may find items left behind and it may not, however most security programs due to their inherent design, are deeply embedded into your system. Quite often, using the native uninstaller will not get everything.

It is normal to see two entries for ccSvcHst running. One should be listed as SYSTEM and the other as the USER.

What results do you get if you turn off Norton Email scanning?

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Phil_D wrote:

Glad to hear that you have the latest version. YES!  IT'S THERE.

The reason I suggested the TM Toolkit is because it may remove leftovers that are not easily found during a user initiated search. It may find items left behind and it may not, however most security programs due to their inherent design, are deeply embedded into your system. Quite often, using the native uninstaller will not get everything.

The reason I suggested the TM Toolkit is because it may remove leftovers that are not easily found during a user initiated search. It may find items left behind and it may not, however most security programs due to their inherent design, are deeply embedded into your system. Quite often, using the native uninstaller will not get everything. I UNDERSTOOD YOUR REASONING - HAD READ ABOUT THAT POSSIBILITY WHEN REMOVING PROGRAMS.   WENT INTO

CONTROL PANEL/ADM. TOOLS=SERVICES/INTERNET OPTIONS/NETWORK CONNECTIONS/.....ONLY PLACE I SEE T.M. IS UNDER 'CUSTOMIZE' FOR A TASKBAR ICON THAT SHOWS 'HIDE WHEN INACTIVE' - DONT' KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THAT ENTRY OF ''PAST ENTRIES'' - THERE IS AN ICON ''HIDE WHEN INACTIVE' FOR EARTHLINK ALSO....

HOPE I DIDN'T RUIN ANYTHING ...WHEN I WENT TO LOOK IN 'ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS' AND OPENED 'PERFORMANCE SHORTCUT' AND ALSO ''SERVICES SHORTCUT' - THE ONLY WAY I WAS ABLE TO CLOSE EACH OUT WAS WHEN EACH SHOWED UNDER THE THE HEADING OF MICROSOFT MANAGEMENT CONSOLE '' -I TRIED TO CLICK 'CANCEL' AND THAT WOULDN'T CLOSE EITHER AREA SO I CHOOSE THE OPTION OF  ''NO' UNDER THE CHOICE OF ''SAVE CONSOL SETTINGS TO PERFMON'  (AS OPPOSED TO THE 'YES' CHOICE) ...THEN EACH AREA CLOSED.... HOPE I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG ! 

It is normal to see two entries for ccSvcHst running. One should be listed as SYSTEM and the other as the USER. THERE ARE 3 SHOWING:  (1)  OWNER- WITH 2916 UNDER MEM.USAGE; (2) SYSTEM, WITH 3209 UNDER MEM.USAGE (3) SYSTEM WITH 6204 UNDER MEM USAGE

What results do you get if you turn off Norton Email scanning? COULDN'T TELL ANY DIFFERENCE - IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE THE IN/OUT MAIL SCANNING ENABLED WITH NISS?  I REMEMBER EARTHLINK & T.M. CONFLICTED SO I TURNED OFF T.M. ...

THANKS SO MUCH !  

Kudos0

A screenshot of these running processes would be helpful.

Here is a good link outlining how to upload images to the forums.

Please be advised that images will be reviewed for content before they are publicly visible, so don't be surprised if you see an image placeholder in your post pending image approval.

If you have never captured a screenshot:

1) To capture the entire view of the monitor screen, press the "Print Screen" key. To capture only the active window, hold the "Alt" key and press "Print Screen".  Either method will copy the image to the Windows internal clipboard.

2) Open MS Paint or another imaging program. Click "Edit" > "Paste" 

3) Save the image as a jpeg or png file.

(Vista users with versions above Home Basic can use the Snipping Tool)

4) Click on your Forum user name and upload the image to your Norton Image Gallery.

Kudos0

Hi EDYTHE,

Email scanning in most antivirus programs, including Norton, is sort of a supplementary feature that can be disabled without putting your computer at risk.  Norton Auto-Protect will catch anything that email scanning would have spotted and prevent it from installing on your PC.  If you are unsure of an attachment you can also save it to your hard drive, right-click on it and select for Norton to scan it for malware before opening the file.  Either way, you are protected and many people chose to forgo email scanning for this reason.

As to the three instances of ccSvcHst.exe, I agree with Phil_D that it would be helpful to see the actual context that they are running in to determine if it is something that needs to be addressed.  If you restart your computer and do not open NIS 2009, does Task Manager still show three instances running?

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi EDYTHE,

Email scanning in most antivirus programs, including Norton, is sort of a supplementary feature that can be disabled without putting your computer at risk.  Norton Auto-Protect will catch anything that email scanning would have spotted and prevent it from installing on your PC.  If you are unsure of an attachment you can also save it to your hard drive, right-click on it and select for Norton to scan it for malware before opening the file.  Either way, you are protected and many people chose to forgo email scanning for this reason. TERRIFIC - I FEEL THE LESS 'RUNNING' THE BETTER  I KNOW I DISABLED THAT FEATURE WHEN I HAD TREND MICRO.

As to the three instances of ccSvcHst.exe, I agree with Phil_D that it would be helpful to see the actual context that they are running in to determine if it is something that needs to be addressed.  If you restart your computer and do not open NIS 2009, does Task Manager still show three instances running? SORRY-I WAS WRONG -I ONLY HAVE TWO OF THE ccSvcHst showing in T.M. (Owner/System)...but..WHEN I DO A SHUT-DOWN (TOTAL) I DO SEE THE BLOCK SHOWING WITH THAT IN THE HEADING - I SEE THE SCALE TRYING TO SHUT-DOWN ccSvcHst - I HAVE TO 'AGAIN' CLICK ''END PROGRAM' AND IT FINALLY DOES... WILL THERE BE A PATCH FOR THAT PROBLEM THAT YOU KNOW OF ?

ALSO WHEN I VISIT 'NORTON INSIGHT - I'M AT 90% WITH 88 ''TRUSTED' AND  12 ''SCAN'' SHOWING - IS THAT 'NORMAL' ?

NEXT:  i keep getting a pop up asking me if i want to activate a 'feature' of NISS (& keep it running) to check for website safety & then mark it 'safe'   as i visit each  (forgot the name of the feature within NISS) ...do i want to do that?

Thanks for reading all these questions - Edythe

Kudos0

EDYTHE,

<<I DO SEE THE BLOCK SHOWING WITH THAT IN THE HEADING - I SEE THE SCALE TRYING TO SHUT-DOWN ccSvcHst - I HAVE TO 'AGAIN' CLICK ''END PROGRAM' AND IT FINALLY DOES... WILL THERE BE A PATCH FOR THAT PROBLEM THAT YOU KNOW OF ?>>

I don't this is a problem that would require a patch. I've been having this problem myself and I figured out that the background activity could well be reason behind this. NIS performs certain background activities and invariably when you attempt a shutdown when any such activity is performed, ccSvchst will have to undergo a forced termination. It is exactly during this time you will see a pop-up during the shutdown. 

<<          ALSO WHEN I VISIT 'NORTON INSIGHT - I'M AT 90% WITH 88 ''TRUSTED' AND  12 ''SCAN'' SHOWING - IS THAT 'NORMAL' ? >>

This is absolutely normal. This indicates that there are more percentage of files and programs that Norton trusts in your computer. These trusted files are those that Norton will not have to scan saving you the time and resources.

<<i keep getting a pop up asking me if i want to activate a 'feature' of NISS (& keep it running) to check for website safety & then mark it 'safe'   as i visit each  (forgot the name of the feature within NISS) ...do i want to do that?>>

This is much recommended. It helps check the reputation of the Websites that you access. It acts as an advisor for the search queries that you key in on popular search engines as well.

Hope this helps.

-MbR

&quot;Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher&quot; - MbR

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.