• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

When I search with Big I no longer get Safe Web icons.  It stopped working a couple of days ago.  I have NIS12, IE9, and  Windows 7 64 bit. Google still works fine.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Hi Car,

Am surprised to see this problem.

You are sure right that it works fine for google search results? All other components like Identity safe and toolbar are working fine? Only issue is with the bing search results, is that so?

If you have firefox installed, can you just check if that's working fine over there? It could help us to narrow down the issue.

regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


prasanna_a wrote:

Hi Car,

Am surprised to see this problem.

You are sure right that it works fine for google search results? All other components like Identity safe and toolbar are working fine? Only issue is with the bing search results, is that so?

If you have firefox installed, can you just check if that's working fine over there? It could help us to narrow down the issue.

regards,

Prasanna


Google and all other NIS12 components work fine.  I don't have Firefox installed. The only issue is with Bing. I think it may be related to a change in the way Bing displays their search results.  The Bing seach results now have a "fade in" effect.  Also, I just noticed that if I refresh (F5) the Bing search results the Safe Web Icons will appear.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Hmmm... I can confirm this. I normally never use Bing, so I wouldn't have noticed, but gave it a go after reading this, and there are indeed no Safe Web Icons showing up in Bing.

Edit: let me correct that. The reason they didn't show up was because I hadn't allowed scripts to run on Bing, while I had on Google. After allowing scripts, they showed just fine. My mistake.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Did you wait for a few seconds.  There may be a delay as Norton aggregates the data from its servers.  For me, Bing results appear almost immediately.  Windows 7 Home Premium X64, IE9

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Working fine for me on IE9, Firefox 7.0.1, and Chrome 14. Do you have any other real time security programs running?

Or, do you have any other browser toolbars running? Maybe something else is interfering.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


Ben10 wrote:

Did you wait for a few seconds.  There may be a delay as Norton aggregates the data from its servers.  For me, Bing results appear almost immediately.  Windows 7 Home Premium X64, IE9



The Safe Web icons used appear almost immediately for me too.  Then a few days ago they stopped working, and the timing coincided with some new Bing graphic affects.  At least on my laptop, the Bing search results have some new graphic affects.  I'm not really sure how to describe it except to say that it's different than it used to be when the Safe Web icons were working. It's like a fade in but not really.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Screenshot?
Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


Ben10 wrote:
Screenshot?

The effect that I see is not something that can be captured in a screen shot. In any case I like the new effects.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Hi,

I just tried to reproduce this issue in my test machine with all the setups done, but am not able to see this issue.

And my bing.com gets loaded with safe web annotations on the first run itself and it doesn't ask for refresh too.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


prasanna_a wrote:

Hi,

I just tried to reproduce this issue in my test machine with all the setups done, but am not able to see this issue.

And my bing.com gets loaded with safe web annotations on the first run itself and it doesn't ask for refresh too.

Regards,

Prasanna


Another person in the thread confirmed the problem.  I'm not sure why you can't reproduce it.  I have an HP laptop with an ATI Mobility video card.  My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.  Does anybody else have this problem?

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


car825 wrote:

prasanna_a wrote:

Hi,

I just tried to reproduce this issue in my test machine with all the setups done, but am not able to see this issue.

And my bing.com gets loaded with safe web annotations on the first run itself and it doesn't ask for refresh too.

Regards,

Prasanna


Another person in the thread confirmed the problem.  I'm not sure why you can't reproduce it.  I have an HP laptop with an ATI Mobility video card.  My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.  Does anybody else have this problem?


Several days ago, Microsoft updated its MSN Homepage and royally messed up compatibility with IE6 - at least that was what I noticed.  It was coming up with a security error every time I visited the page on that machine - and the error would not go away even if I clicked the "don't bother me about this anymore" checkbox and OK'd my way to the MSN page.

Eventually, MS realized what happened and the page was closed for about 6-8 hours while they fixed the problem.  The page loaded correctly in IE6 after that - no reproducible IE security error on each entry to the user's customized MSN Homepage.

My suspicion is that "if" you entered the MS page during the time the page was messed up and active - even if you were using a browser other than IE6 - a cookie was set that was incorrect for your browser.  If that cookie has been retained - the problem might "stick" for users who viewed the page while it was problematic.

Possible fix:

Clear your cookie cache in the browser on the machine where you have the problem.  You will have to clear all cookies for that particular browser - because if you leave any part of the "retain" feature turned on (Eg: in IE8) you won't clear the cookies for the customized MSN Homepage.  You will know you have cleaned out the cookie cache properly for that particular browser when you are forced to sign in to MSN (and recheck the "keep me signed in" checkbox) to get your customized webpage back.

See if this fixes your problem.  I suspect that your "enhanced" Bing-display was a part of that "upgrade" that Microsoft rolled out without sufficient testing.

Note: Users who did not sign into a customized MSN Homepage during "the troubles" will not have a cookie set incorrectly for their browser version and will never experience this problem.  Furthermore, since the problem was fixed within hours of its discovery - the error cannot be reproduced by subsequent testing.  The only users who will experience the problem are the set-of-users that happened to log in and view the MSN page during that few hours when the messed-up page was active.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9

Thanks for advice.  Clearing the cache fixed the problem.  The Safe Web icons on Bing work now.

Kudos0

Re: No Safe Web Icons with NIS12 & Bing & IE9


car825 wrote:

Thanks for advice.  Clearing the cache fixed the problem.  The Safe Web icons on Bing work now.



Glad to help.  Great that the fix turned out to be simple. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.