• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 2015 standard release versions INSTALLATION

Aside from the various conjecture and rambling interpretations presented in the post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-2015-V22-upgrade/td-p/1169633

The real question probably centers on installation of the NEW PRODUCT.  I have long used NIS since it was first introduced (after using NAV since it was first introduced).  The biggest annoyance for years was that when the (yearly) new/updated version of the product was released installation of the new version required removal of the existing version and installation of the new version --essentially a clean installation during which all options/settings/history was lost.

Today, happily most of the previous options/settings are retained (history is still lost --specifically Network Map info & settings) when the new version is installed over the previous version without having to first remove the previous version.

Since I do not purchase NIS directly from Norton, the price I pay is somewhat of a personal choice -- I purchase the product from a retailer that usually/frequently highly discounts the product I want.  I then download the latest release of the product (after waiting 4-6 months for the 'bugs' to surface and get corrected) and use the activation key from the product I purchased.

My primary question at this time is very simply: What will be the required installation process? --Will the existing product have to be removed first, so a clean install of the new product can be done.  Or preferably can the new product be installed over the existing version and preserve the current/existing options and settings.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 2015 standard release versions INSTALLATION

zaede wrote:

My primary question at this time is very simply: What will be the required installation process? --Will the existing product have to be removed first, so a clean install of the new product can be done.  Or preferably can the new product be installed over the existing version and preserve the current/existing options and settings.

Officially we will have to wait and see once NS and NSwB are released.

In practice, last time I tried uninstalling N360v21.5 and chose to Save Settings before installing NSwBv22.x.x.xx my settings and local vault were saved.

Windows 10 x64 1909 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Kudos0

Yes, but then the next obvious question arises:-  Will the saved settings then be able to be fully used when the (sic) replacement for NIS is installed?

Kudos0

As I said  -  "Officially we will have to wait and see once NS and NSwB are released."

Windows 10 x64 1909 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Kudos0

Hi zaede,

As @Krusty13  stated offically - who knows?  I'm not even convinced Norton knows as yet - you know how all that stuff flows between executives, workers and marketing types! 

Now something I'd like to point out and it may or may not impact what is going to be happening. 

As you know the Norton Removal Tool has been used in the past in order to provide a clean install and it is fact that upon the next installation of the inline product version, the subscription information will automatically be picked up. In case of Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security, the latest version automatically picks up the previously saved local Identity Safe vault and you are provided with an option to retain the local vault or move to the online vault when you access the Identity Safe component.  We have also seen that the settings are also picked up.  Thus in Krusty13's case he retained his settings and local vault. 

Now the question that needs to be answered (and has not) is whatever they call the NS or NS with Backup (2015 or version 22) is it going to be considered an inline product version?  I can understand v20 to v21 to v22 being "inline"  however if NS ends up as NS v 1 is it going to be considered an inline install and the settings, subscription info and Local Vault retained?

There are many unanswered questions, we can guess all we desire, but until the fat lady sings, there is nothing officially known.

Kudos0

From a functional perspective (without regard to any cost impact):

Can the new NS be installed over an existing NIS 21 that is, will all existing options map over to the new installation as has been the case in recent years (without first removing the current installation)?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi zaede,

Yes it can. I just read a thread on the 'Norton Security' board and had confirmed by someone there that the new NS will install over the top of say NIS/N360. That person downloaded the 30 day trial version and it installed over the top without issues. There was no need to uninstall.

https://community.norton.com/forums/just-installed-ns-and-so-far-so-good

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Hi zaede,

My original reply seems to have gone AWOL. I followed this thread,

https://community.norton.com/forums/just-installed-ns-and-so-far-so-good

Yes you can install over the top it would seem.

Kudos1 Stats

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Thanks all for the comments.  Since I still have several months left on my subscriptions, I will now wait a bit for the product itself to mature --I hate juvenile s/w.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.