• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos6 Stats

Norton 22.12.1 patch Wipes Out Scheduled Tasks

I just installed the patch to version 22.12.1.14. I noticed that it added several new tasks. That is fine. However, it also wiped out all the existing scheduled tasks in "Task Scheduler Library." Fortunately, I remembered what they were and was able to recreate them. This needs to be fixed!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 22.12.1 patch Wipes Out Scheduled Tasks

I wondered why my Macrium Reflect backups weren’t running automatically, now I know why.
It seems every update Norton releases these days is pulled due to problems.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Is this affecting NIS as well as Norton Deluxe - the release numbers seem the same,

Kudos0

The codebase is the same some time already, so yes, i think the problem is the same.

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos0

Just musing, If this has happened to user's computers, what has happened with Norton's own computers, will they have the issue? Would have shown up on their 'TESTING' ?

Kudos0

Further to Phil_D's posting of March 2nd, appears that another folder along with download via auto Live update arrived today, (PM GMT) 22.12.1.15 + 2 files MUI,NGC,MUDIR, 3.15 & 1.11 MB respectively. 22.12.1.15 also mentioned in another thread in German but no official Norton announcement, last posting by Mohan_G relates to 22.12.1.14 being pulled, posting not updated for 15 yet. Based in UK, Europe issued bit more updated info ?. By the size of the files, is this now the revised edition?. Beware running Live update till further info released.

Kudos0

I confirm: 103 MB update. Italian Version.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone,

Norton 22.12.1 build 15 has been POSTED BACK to the LiveUpdate server to prevent the Update Wipes Out Scheduled Tasks issue from happening when customers update to 22.12.1 (We are still investigating this issue to find a workaround/solution for the already impacted machines)

We'll update this thread when we have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Mohan_G, Is this confirmation that that 22.12.1.15 is the 100% working update, issues raised in this thread are solved ?

Thanks

Kudos1 Stats

I never did get the 22.12.1.14 update, so I was not affected by the scheduled tasks issue. I can confirm that I still have scheduled tasks showing after getting the 22.12.1.15 update.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos5 Stats

Thanks Mahan, but in fact the cow is already out of the barn and long gone...

I just now became aware of the damage your 22.12.1.14 product update has wrought upon my and my client's systems...

How about providing us with a succinct set of instructions which have been deemed by Symantec/Norton to be the best and most complete and expedient steps we need to take for remediation of the damage done by your release of 22.12.1.14.

More precisely - What must your customers NOW do in order to recover these highly important Windows Scheduler entries which your product update has so thoroughly obliterated?

And on a secondary note that's aside from this issue, when might we expect restoration of working LiveUpdates for the recently updated Android version of our NMS products?  It's now been over 2-weeks since there's been one single LiveUpdate for that product which is of course far from normal... 2 and half weeks without receiving any updated Malware Detection codes is an eternity with potentially serous security consequences...

What the heck is going on these days at the Norton division?

Kudos0

Ok, but how many Norton tasks should be in Scheduler (just interesting)? I've got one now, someone has 2-3...

Kudos0

avjohnnie : Same here; a lot of customers are left with an incomplete starting system and disappeared important other planned tasks.

I second your motion that we need a clear recovery scenario, moreover because System Restore is default off in Windws 10.

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos3 Stats

hvgsel : Norton has become far too complacent and grossly lackadaisical in their Q.C. procedures for these product update releases. And now, due to this empirically evidenced fact, more-so than ever, we desperately need the ability (within the product's Settings) to temporarily suspend (delay) receipt of these poorly prepared and "unready" product updates. Norton, by continuing to only allow delays for "Major" version updates (just how many years now is it that we've been "stuck" at version 22.something-or-other?) is practically guaranteeing more such devastation occurrences.

Please excuse me now, I have dozens of computers (my own and those of clients) that I must now extricate from this tremendous mess. I'll do so in the only fashion that I trust - complete system image restorations.

I'll close now by wishing "best of luck" to all the victims of this debacle...

Kudos0

Well, I now have 4 Norton tasks in Scheduler !!!!

Norton Security Autofix, Norton Security Error Analyzer, Norton Security Error Processor, and Norton WSC Integration.

Trouble is, the first 3 call Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.12.1.14 which no longer exits !!       (I have latest update 22.12.1.15)

Very poor housekeeping at Norton.

Kudos0

Davec33:

I don't think that is a high priority with Norton / Symantec.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Avjohnnie, If you need to manually run Live Update, running from background tasks appears not to install updates. But this only applies if you are aware an update is lurking to be installed, this is also a failing with Norton blog notifications. Like the latest release, 22.12.1.15 released before blog notification therefore latest notification was still 'Pulled', same happened with 103/104. But you of course only get product announcements via email if subscribed to Blogs (but if announcements come after releases this is no good either). As you say if Norton can include a notification as to whether you wish to update or not would be a big improvement, most other software incorporates this function.

Kudos0

Update on March 5, 2018: Norton 22.12.1 build 15 has been POSTED BACK to the LiveUpdate server to prevent the Update Wipes Out Scheduled Tasks issue from happening when customers update to 22.12.1 (We are still investigating this issue to find a workaround/solution for the already impacted machines) Does that mean that users who did not update to 22.12.1.14 will instead go rightaway to 22.12.1.15? So skipping .14?
Kudos0

Davec33:

Well, I now have 4 Norton tasks in Scheduler !!!!

Norton Security Autofix, Norton Security Error Analyzer, Norton Security Error Processor, and Norton WSC Integration.

Trouble is, the first 3 call Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.12.1.14 which no longer exits !!       (I have latest update 22.12.1.15)

Exactly the same here (I only haven't  the Norton Security Autofix scheduled task).

Kudos0

For what it's worth, checked my 'Tasks Scheduler' and 3 Norton Security tasks shown,

Norton Security Autofix, Error Analyzer and Error Processor.

Regards

Kudos0

This morning Auto Live update had a file 'Engine/NGC/InstallDir' as one of items, thought no more of this & took no action. Next boot took a while but it self installed 22.12.1.15, did not install 22.12.14, was still on 22.12.0.104 - worrying, wanted to do this in my own time. Yesterday other large files came down on automatic. Seems to be working OK. Edit - one thing noticed, in IE, clicking on a web page log-in box used to bring up request to log into vault, no longer does this, have to log in via vault button although the request log-in function used to be spasmodic.

Kudos0

Norton tasks after 22.12.1.15:- have both the 'error' tasks, no 'Autofix' but have a folder 'Remediation' which has task 'Antimalware Migration Task'. Further to previous post, info bar still not reminding to open vault:- if vault open, info bar still reminds if more than one log-in for a domain though.

Kudos0

AnNe_Z:
Update on March 5, 2018: Norton 22.12.1 build 15 has been POSTED BACK to the LiveUpdate server to prevent the Update Wipes Out Scheduled Tasks issue from happening when customers update to 22.12.1 (We are still investigating this issue to find a workaround/solution for the already impacted machines) Does that mean that users who did not update to 22.12.1.14 will instead go rightaway to 22.12.1.15? So skipping .14?

Yes.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Done Laptop this morning, never had 22.12.1.14 file downloaded (only have on every few days). Today 2 large files on auto live update, later ran manual update, final patch available, installed, all OK. Same tasks and effects as my posting of yesterday, both on Windows 8.1.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.