• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 21.5.0.19 live update error 8920, 208

Hello norton community, please help me to solve this problem. 
After three years of using, the Norton 360 Premiere Edidtion (v6.0 or above) failed. It's the 4th time this year when I need to spend hours to restore safe internet browsing. I paid for this software because it was trouble free, though slowly I wonder if it's worth.

I've asked yours technician for help, every time error corupt. Always looks like this. The technician connects, carry out troubleshooting, switches me to the Case Manager Level 2, he reinstalls the software, the problem is solved .. wait a sec, is it? No.

Yesterday, technician spent 4 hours to solve it, and he failed. Because Live update works for a moment, he took some logs for Symantec and left me alone with this mess. Few hours later problem returned. This is not a trouble-free software.. So I wrote to another branch technicians (in the USA), but they also want to just re-install my software (hours in front of pc screen, it's like watching paint dry).

Help me solve this problem. Before you write something, let me tell you what technicians have done, and what I did myself to solve 8920, 208 error.

Technicians:
- troubleshooting, Agresive antyvirus mode, Norton removal tool, removing old updates/temp files/appdata files/trash etc., reinstal software, flush dns, Norton power erease tool.

Me:
- reset winsock, flush dns, sfc /scannow (no problems), all above, norton intelligent update, windows firewall off, windows defender off, 

My configuration:
Norton 360 PE, Toshiba A300, Windows 8.1 Pro updated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 21.5.0.19 live update error 8920, 208

Hi tomtom1,
Welcome to Norton Community.
This is the kb article related to error 8920, 208 error.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v57189259_EndUserProfile_en_us

Since you have tried out almost all workarounds and potential solutions,
I suggest you may try disabling Windows Faststartup feature of windows 8.x and check.
This feature will not allow a complete shutdown of windows, which is required by Norton to install some of its updates...
Visit the link:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

You can also completely shutdown windows by using the option from comand line or windows key + x combination.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

I find kb article related to error 8920, 208 completely useless. I bought software that was supposed to be automatic. I'm not goint to download 371mb of updates everyday.

I turned off this fast startup option, reinstalled the software - another failure. 

Kudos0

Hi tomtom1,

Please let us know which version of N 360 premier you are running - Support > About from the main page!

Also please tell us where you obtained the copy you reinstalled and what method you used for removal of the old copy.

Are you running any other security programs in real-time that could conflict?

Kudos0

Morning Yank,
I'm using Norton 360 21.5.0.19. I used Norton Removal Tool, then I used command WIN+R-> %temp% and wipe it all. Fresh software came from Norton Download Manager webdl.symantec.com.
and I'm not running any other security programs.

Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback, perhaps this is far fetched - but please verify that your system clock shows the correct day, time, and time zone.

Also a quick run down of your problem may assist - like it will Auto LiveUpdate a few times and then throws the error or you get the error on Auto updates. Does a manual LiveUpdate also produce the error.
Kudos0

Both BIOS and Windows clocks shows correct day and time. Tried multiple update via Liveupdate and manually via Inteligent Update, problem still exist.

Kudos0

Hello tomton1

May I ask how you contacted technicians?  Are you sure that they were technicians from Norton? There have been several companies which claim to be from Norton, but they in reality not from Norton.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I'm quite sure that "support.norton.com/sp/pl/pl/norton-core/current/contact" connects me with the technicians form Symantec. I realy care about security and my privacy so I only use the authorized channels of assistance. Such as this, but I see that we descend from the case. 

Kudos0

I tried again in the English support .. After thirty minutes, nothing has changed except the approach to my problem. Technician Eugin amused me to tears with his lack of commitment.

To explain my embarrassment, I got similar assurances in April, when the problem occurred for the first time. No one called me with explanations.. 

Kudos0

Hi,
Please keep your Faststartup feature in OFF untill things are sorted out.
Try running check disk utility and see what happens.
chkdsk c: /R
See step 2:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6221-chkdsk-check-drive-errors-windows-8-a.html
Please go through your history of N360 (right click on system tray icon>recent history> choose 'live update' from dropdown list to right of 'show' with category 'Live Update' and see which update is failing. [history path mentioned is for NIS, but will be identical. Someone may correct me if its wrong.]
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos1 Stats

Hi cv,

The path provided will get you there in either NIS or N 360. 

FYI, the other path for N 360 would be from the main page of N 360 > Tasks > Check Security History > and then choosing LiveUpdate. 

Also once on the LiveUpdate Page of history, select an entry via left click to highlight it, then you can either double click the entry for more info or use the More Details in the lower right hand corner .

Kudos0

Thanks for this idea guys. I checked this history and the errors are: Norton Web Protection Definicions (585,31KB), WAX Rules Set (197,02KB), Norton Web Protection Definicions (hub) (1,62MB). There are no errors using chkdsk c: /R.

Kudos0

Hi,
Do you mean you have no updates failed listed there?
(Thanks to Yank for the confirmation and further details.)
Kudos0

FWIW, I checked my NIS history (I had to do a reinstall myself on the 12th) and I have the same downloads and basically same size - but mine completeled. 

I have seen where certain updates will fail and you canrun LiveUpdate numerous times over a period of time aterwards and they will eventually download succesfully.  Sometimes this occurs due to server errors also.

Kudos0

Guys, Norton Web Protection Definicions = error 8920,208. Whole topic is about this error. It's not problem with servers or files. 

Kudos0

Hi tomtom1,
Thanks for the check.
Try this,
Disable the Norton toolbar and plugin in all your browsers, N360 settings and try again.
Else disable (TURN OFF) all the features from N360 settings for the minimum time (15 mins) and try updating manually.

Do you have any other toolbar or addon in your system other than Norton?
Kudos0

Tried with everyting off for an hour. Removed all norton toolbars, search etc. Tried liveupdate - error 8920, and after intelligent uptade, I tried again and still the same error appears.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.