• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 (22.5.0.124) found 135 Heuristic Viruses

Within the past week I had done a full scan with 360 which found no threats other than cookies.  Yesterday I checked and saw a newer version of 360 available so I downloaded it (version 22.5.0.124).  I then did a full scan, and this time it found 135 Heuristic Viruses, and deleted many files.  The viruses were Suspicious.Cloud.9, Suspicious.Cloud.7.L, Suspicious.Cloud.2.  A few programs, including Spotify, no longer run.

My question is, does the new version do a better job of detection than the old, or are these things that the previous version would have left alone?  Did some attacker infect all these files in the past week? Should I try to restore the deleted files, or reinstall every program that no longer runs?

Labels: user data

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 (22.5.0.124) found 135 Heuristic Viruses

Version 22.5.0.124 its not 360 - its Norton Security

Kudos0

Artem:

Version 22.5.0.124 its not 360 - its Norton Security

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-product-update-225-windows-10-compatibility 
If I’m now running NIS/NAV/N360 v22.5, does this mean I’m actually running Norton Security/Norton Security with Backup?
No. You are still running NIS/NAV/N360, but the version has been updated. Additionally, the license agreement you agreed to when installing NIS/NAV/N360 still applies, e.g. “can be installed on up to 3 PCs”.

Kudos0

My product is still Norton 360 Premier, version 22.5.0.124 (see the attached screen shot)

I'm trying to find out if this new version detects far more viruses than the last, and if they are false positives, or if I have been hit with a major attack in the past few days.  Several programs are no longer working.  Many files were deleted.  I do not see a quarantine that I can recover them from.

Can not use Spotify, Finale 2014, Verizon Fios programs, Private WiFi (among other AOL things), Razor SQL, Filezilla, many more.  Some programs that have not been used for years.  All were listed as hueristic virus, in the Suspicious.Cloud family.

I'm wondering if I should restore to a previous set point and rescan. 

Or, was I attacked?

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello

Please go over the settings in this new version. Perhaps you have some settings set to aggressive which do not need to be. Read the entries for ? on topics you are not sure about. Some of the settings are different than they were on the older versions.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I also did an update to V 22.5 on NIS and it immediately identified dozens of files as threats that have been on this PC for years.
Most were installer files from harmless things like photoshop plugins (Suspicious.Cloud.9).....I even saw a couple for skype.
Tried (stupidly) to do a window restore to a previous restore point and opened an entire avalanche of headache.

Had to uninstall nortons and its currently at the version that was on the disc 20.1.0.24, I was trying to get it back to the version I had before the whole mess started 21.7.0.11, I guess I'll leave it as is for a bit and see what nortons does......they also need to get rid of that horrid interface.

Kudos0

Okay - we'll pretend that it's not NS - Walks like a duck - Quacks like a duck - But it's an elephant, not a duck...

Kudos0

This is happening to me too.  After Norton installed 22.5.0.124 overnight on June 25, 2015 on one of our PC's, I installed on our other PC's so they'd all be the same version.  (And yes, my main GUI window says "Norton 360 Premier" too, not "Norton Security"). 

After the Sunday AM full scans, two PC's found more than two dozen .msi and .exe files that it says have heuristic viruses detected.  When I look at the scan result and see that there are still a dozen unresolved "threats", there is no link to list these files or resolve the problems.  However, every so often, a separate N360 window pops up (even when I'm NOT running N360) declaring that threat action is required, and that lists all the files.  

At any rate, like the others have said, these are all old files that have been on the system quite a while, in some cases nearly 4 years, and they have never been modified or accessed according to Windows Explorer.  The Heuristic Protection under Scan Settings is set to "Automatic", but I don't know what it was set to before.

I think this is just Norton 360/NS doing something differently in the updated version that it didn't do before, or with a different setting(s) for full scans.  But the inability to drill down from the scan results to see the remaining files that need to be resolved appears to be a bug, or all these threats are really "false positives", because N360 is still declaring that we're all up to date and protected.

So far, the files that it "resolved" on its own, and the files that it says still need to be resolved, don't seem to be causing any trouble in the use of our machine, but the day is young.

Kudos0

I've also encountered this same problem in two different PCs. As for the files flagged by the new version, some executables and compressed archive files from the smplayer, game jackal, dev-cpp directories among others, they appear to be totally clean.

Kudos0

I have installed N360 (22.5.0.124) on a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows 8.1 Surface Pro, not done it yet on my other Windows 7 laptop as my 90+y/o father uses that and don't want to open him to potential problems just yet.

I have run full scans on both, all that it picked up was 2 tracking cookies of low threat.

I did a little reading about these threats and many seem to have said they are dangerous and some have mentioned Trojans. Many people with these problems seem to play online games but it is not restricted to this, Spotify was mentioned along with the installer software that comes with programs, additionally in the several places I read about it the users have Norton or PC Tools installed as their anti-virus protection.

I'm not suggesting that users try to solve anything themselves but it has been said to use Revo uninstaller as part of the repair process, I only mention this as I use this program to uninstall any programs I no longer want. I do have a couple of other programs Malwarebytes (free scanner only) CCleaner and Winpatrol, perhaps these have helped in avoiding the problems some have encountered. I am not recommending others use these programs.

I was just interested to read what others have encountered with the new version of Norton 360 which, as far as I am aware is NSwB in all but name with the old licence agreement still in force rather than the new, and adding my experience of it.

Michael

Kudos0

I have Norton 2014, and two days ago, I received the updated version 22.5.0.124. I ran a scan, and  later returned home to see that the new version found 142 high-risk heuristic viruses, which it did remove. Most of it was suspicious.cloud.9 and suspicious.cloud.7L. I know that 7L has been on my computer for at least a year and a half. I checked Norton Community when I first noticed this, and was told that this was just a statistical submission. Now, this updated version tells me that it's actually a high risk heuristic virus.

Kudos0

We have 4 PC's on Windows 7 SP1.  We don't do any on-line gaming or downloading of game files.  We only play the "solo" games that are already on the OS.

After the 22.5.0.124 version of [insert your preferred product acronym[s] here) was installed on 6/25, the next time the scheduled full scans ran, we had a weird pattern of discovery of new heuristic viruses on the 4 systems.  On the oldest computer, nearly 5 years, which is used 10 times more than any of the others for email and web-surfing, zero heuristic viruses were identified.  On the computer we use on-line the LEAST, 27 were found, 14 of which it decided to fix itself.  Some of them were for files that have been on the PC for years and never flagged before as a virus.  Some may even have come installed on the PC, such as the HP Support Assistant and other HP utilities.  It was also complaining about Apple Mobile Device Support msi files, Thunderbird email client msi files, etc. - you know... well known products.  On our "media" PC, which houses all music, videos, and pictures, no new heuristic viruses were found, and on our laptop, only 1 was found, some kind of HP utility that was also flagged on the first PC.

Either the criteria is different for finding or flagging these files now, or the settings for virus scans have been altered from their pre-update values, such as for "compressed files" and/or "heuristic protection".  But either way, we need to hear from Symantec about whether these are false positives or actually infected files, which was the gist of the original question!

Kudos0

Had a similar problem with one IObit "ppuninstaller.exe" file quarantined by NIS 22.5 Full System scan today as "Suspicious.Cloud.9" malware, although the NIS report confirms that the file is "mature" and is used by "hundreds of thousands of users in the Norton Community". I submitted the potential "false positive" report to Symantec/Norton for review.

Kudos0

Kudos0

After playing a bit with my laptop, I noticed that somehow the issue got resolved on it's own.  After completing the installation, I had noticed that apart from the suspicious.cloud occurrences, right clicking on an item did not show the N360 scan entry. After restoring the flagged files from quarantine, rebooting the machine, and restoring all remaining quarantined items, the new version appears to work properly. Formerly quarantined items are scanned, as I had unchecked the "do not scan this item again" check box during restore. After completing a folder scan as well as a quick system scan, these files are no longer flagged, and right clicking now shows the n360 scan. I suspect that this issue may not appear in the first place if one reboots the PC one (or two) times before attempting the first scan. If I'm feeling adventurous, I might attempt to check the theory on my main system, which I had restored from a backup a couple of days ago in order to fall back to the old version of N360.

Kudos0

Further to my comments above I decided to install 22.5.0.124 on the laptop my father uses as my laptop seemed to be working without problem.

After running a full scan it picked up a smaller number of the Heuristic Viruses mentioned but only 14. When checking they were for programs installed on both laptops and the Surface but were only picked up on the laptop my father uses. It did cause a couple of problems with certain programs not working. I did notice a couple of things happening with Norton at the time:

1. There were many instances of files being sent to the Norton community but marked as pending;

2. I tried to run an Insight Scan which did not run as the was "no internet connection and it could not connect with the Norton servers".

I do wonder if there is a connection?

I reinstalled a couple of the programs which stopped working, during the installation I received Network alerts which allowed me the opportunity to manually allow them.

Michael 

Kudos0

Well, it seems that the new N360 version requires an additional reboot in some cases. Earlier today I tried installing the new version again, and after completion I run live update and proceeded with a folder scan on the smplayer directory, which was one of the programs flagged before. As I expected, N360 identified suspicious.cloud occurrences once again in that directory. Without running any additional scans, I rebooted the computer. After logging in, everything was okay. I run a quick scan - no problems. I run a full system scan - again no problems.

So my suggestion is to reboot the system one more time before running any scans. In case a scan has already been run and files have been moved to quarantine by N360, it should be safe to restore them, some before and some after rebooting. Take note of the time stamps though, as the old N360 version could have moved truly infected files there as well.

Kudos0

hi Gsavopul

It looks like you may have discovered the solution, the first 2 installations I closed the devices several times before running a full scan but with the laptop my father uses I only closed and restarted after the initial installation then ran a full scan.

I had no problems with the same files on the 2 devices I had closed and restarted several times before running the full scan some time after.

Michael

Kudos0

I did another scan last night, and was surprised to find more references to suspicious.cloud.7L and 9, as well as the other items this version had identified as threats three nights ago. This time around, they were listed as statistical submissions in the history, and not high risk viruses. When the program fifst identified the threats, and removed them, I deleted one folder where some of the supposedly infected files were in. I was surprised to find these new references in the history included files that were in the folder that I had deleted three days ago. In my download folder, I found several files that Norton had removed threats from, that were put there during the scan (I looked at the properties, date modified, to make sure this was the case).

Could it be that the program has re-defined these items only as statistical submissions, and restored  the files it had removed three nights ago? That's what it looks like.

The other problem with this new version is that it takes so long to do a scan. I do have Vista, my computer is six years old, and this may have something to do with it. With the older version, it usually took no more than an hour and a half to two hours to do a scan. With this version, the four scans I have done have taken 2 1/2 hours, four hours, and two scans took FIVE HOURS, and in the three longer scans, I was unable to use any other program.

I just renewed my subscription just a month ago, choosing to stay with NIS 2014, instead of going with the newer version, only to now have this version: 22.5.0.124, and the problems it is causing me. I hope this gets corrected soon.

Kudos0

gsavopul:

Well, it seems that the new N360 version requires an additional reboot in some cases. Earlier today I tried installing the new version again, and after completion I run live update and proceeded with a folder scan on the smplayer directory, which was one of the programs flagged before. As I expected, N360 identified suspicious.cloud occurrences once again in that directory. Without running any additional scans, I rebooted the computer. After logging in, everything was okay. I run a quick scan - no problems. I run a full system scan - again no problems.

That is very interesting.  I don't know if I rebooted before scanning. I did keep clicking Live Update until there were no more updates.  I have not updated my wife's computer yet due to these issues.  I may try now, and reboot before scanning.

On my machine (the one that found 135 infected files) I restored a few files from backup and rescanned them - this time no problems found. In response to Floplot's suggestion that I review my settings, I found that the Heurstic Protection settings in 22.5.0.124 are the same as in my previous version.  It's set to Automatic.  The other choices are Aggressive and Off.

I did not know how to restore from quarantine.  I found History-Quarantine, and was surprised to find that only 21 of the 135 files were listed as quarantined.  However, when I look for these files on my computer, they are still there, with a modified date of that last virus scan.  Is that how quarantine works?

I'm now totally confused - Gamott2015 wondered whether files reported as deleted had been restored later by Norton.  That sounds far-fetched, but one of the files listed as deleted was c:\windows\installer\{24991ba0-f0ee-44ad-9cc8-5ec50aecf6b7}\skypeicon.exe. And in fact, my Skype icon disappeared, only to reappear sometime later.

I am spending an awful lot of time looking into these things, and I am strongly considering restoring my hard drive from a nightly Acronis backup I have from the night before all this started, and waiting for Norton to sort the new version out.

Thanks to everyone has helped on this                                                                                                                                                             

Kudos0

Using all the information gleaned from the various 6/29 postings, we tried a RESTART followed immediately by a full scan on our laptop that NS had quarantined 15 files on and left one file as needing action.  The full scan still complained about the remaining single file that needed action, and the "Action Required" screen kept popping up every hour or so.

So we escalated to shutting down the computer completely and waiting at least 30 seconds before starting it back up again.  Then we immediately ran another full scan and that scan did NOT flag the last un-quarantined file.  Also, the "Action Required" screen did not pop back up at any time during our subsequent activities.

So next, we looked up the latest help description we could find on how to restore a quarantined file (which the documentation almost but not exactly matched what we saw on the screen, but that's common, especially for new software versions).  We restored ONE of the quarantined files that had originally been placed on the computer by the manufacturer.  Just before we confirmed the restore, we REMOVED the x-mark on the option to exclude this file from future scans, because we WANTED it to be scanned.  Then we ran another full SCAN and it didn't flag either of the previously flagged files (the one we restored, or the one it didn't quarantine).

Then we attempted to restore all the other files that had been erroneously quarantined by the first post-update full scan.  All but one of the restores were successful.  The one that couldn't restore was an .exe file that had been inside of a zip file.  The related zip file WAS still on the system and hadn't been accessed since 2012 (although it had been modified by NS during the bad scan), so we just let it go.

Finally, we ran yet another full scan and it turned up nothing.  So far, we haven't gotten any more "Action Required" popup screens since the total shutdown and reboot.

So the moral of this saga is:  you may have to do more than a RESTART to fix this.  You may have to do a complete SHUTDOWN of the PC and then start it back up again from that state.

These forums are great, but it would sure be nice to hear from Norton what they think happened, and exactly what we should be doing about it.  As a previous poster commented, I think all of our full scans are still sending multiple "statistical submissions" to Norton for all these files, so they might be receiving billions of those by now!

Kudos0

"Gamott2015 wondered whether files reported as deleted had been restored later by Norton.  That sounds far-fetched..."

I know that this sounded far-fetched, but that's I what I thought happened. When the program identified all these threats the other night, I then deleted a folder that contained a lot of set-up files for utilities that I had on my hard drive which contained many of the supposedly infected files. The files were gone.

Last night, I started a scan after I disconnected from the internet at about 7:45 PM, and then I ran a scan. After that scan ended (over four hours later), I noticed five or six files that I had deleted from the folder with the utility set-up files the other night were now in my downloads folder. They were modified around 8:30 PM, which is when the scan was running. I didn't put anything in my download folder after 7:45 PM. I didn't put those files there at that time.

Tonight, I ran another scan and didn't see any problems at all. My history looked more like I expected it would. No problems, except for the speed of the scan.

Kudos0

@oraclemetro

Restoring the backup and then proceeding to reinstall N360 is probably a good idea if you have the option, as the new N360 version might have deleted files from the hard drive as well, not just moved them to quarantine. One word of caution though. I recall seeing Acronis' True Image among the programs affected by the suspicious.cloud issue. To be on the safe side, I would suggest that you restore from recovery media (CD) if you choose to do that as your hard drive installation may now be corrupted. Once your system is up and running again, you could try reinstalling N360. Since the results have been reproduced, and a complete shutdown/restart after the completion of the N360 installation and before running any scans appears to fix the issue, you probably won't encounter this problem again.

Kudos0

We are still getting "Action Required" screens popping up every few hours for the compressed files that it flagged but did not quarantine during last Sunday's full scan.  This is even though we've shutdown these systems and then started them back up and immediately ran a full scan.  One of the full scans found nothing at all, and one of them decided that it had found one "misleading application" and fixed it, but there were ZERO heuristic virus discoveries in both scans.  So NS must be keeping this list of files that it thinks still need action somewhere else, because the new scans aren't re-flagging them.

So what do we do now?  We could just wait and see if things improve, since we noticed this morning that patches were being applied to the new version of N360/NS (22.5.0.124).  By the way, when the patches were installed, the version number did not change AT ALL, even the last digits.  So that says they could be sending out patches to this new code and we might or might not notice!

OR.... do we "Delete" (hopefully that actually means "Quarantine") the files that never had any action taken on them by either NS or us, and then turn right around and Restore them to get them cleared off that "Action" file list?

Does anyone know for sure in the new version that when you go to a detail page for a file that's been flagged for action, the "Delete" choice is really a quarantine, not an outright purge of the file?

OR.... we could choose "Ignore" or "Exclude" on the action screen for that file, but we'd rather not do that.

Thoughts anyone? 

Kudos0

I had this same problem after the update, 120 Heuristic viruses detected and since it automatically deletes files that it considers 'high risk' it completely buggered up a number of programs including startup programs so I was getting all sorts of errors when my PC booted into Windows.   I have never had any of these results on the old version, so I did some digging around in the settings, I turned Heuristic from AUTO to off in the scan settings, not sure if this will help any but since ALL of positive scan results were Heuristic I am hoping it fixes this problem.  Also, I had to restore my PC to a earlier point to fix all the problems that the scan created,  then I had to re-download my Norton 360 and install it (the old one stopped working after the system restore) which automatically downloaded the latest version again :(   I just ran live update too and it installed 13 updates including a patch, any word from Norton if the patch was meant to fix this 'heuristic false positive' bug or problem?

Very annoying, wasted over an hour trying to fix everything that Norton 360 mucked up by deleting random files!  What was wrong with the way the old version scanned?  Never had any issues with it.

Kudos0

Hello Mountain_Bob

The patch that came out today was for Norton Browser Toolbar Add-On. It was for the support of Firefox 39 and it fixed a crashing problem when the Toolbar was enabled having to do with Firefox.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

@Mountain_Bob

Have you tried to run a quick scan? If not, perhaps you should try to run one as the message may be "related" to that type of scan. I recall getting such a pop up screen at my laptop after reboot once or twice, but I haven't noticed it again after running my initial scans. At that time I performed a quick scan first, followed by a full system scan.

Kudos0

Thanks for the patch info.  In that case, the patch had nothing to do with this problem!

Kudos0

Hi gsavopul -

We tried running a Quick Scan in addition to all the restarts, shutdowns, and full scans.  The frequency of the pop-up "Action Required" screen seemed to decrease, but it still came up 2-4 times per day. 

After considerable trial and error, it all seems to be related to having items left over in the History Log with a status of "Unresolved Security Risks".  As long as there was at least 1 item in History in this status, the pop-up "Action Required" screen would still appear from time to time.  We never figured out the exact trigger that made the screen appear, but it seemed as though when the PC was idle for several hours, and then we started working on it, usually about 5-10 minutes later we'd get the screen.  This wasn't the case 100% of the time though.

Our "total solution" was this:

For false-positive "Heuristic Virus" files that were still listed as unresolved security risks on the pop-up "Action Required" screen: 

For each file on the "Action Required" screen, you could either

1) choose "Delete" (which actually means Quarantine) and then immediately "Restore" and re-scan the file, 

2) you could choose "Exclude" and then go remove that file from the list files excluded from scans, or

3) you could choose "Ignore". 

Any of these actions would remove the item from the "Unresolved Security Risks" status in the History log.

WARNING!  We found the "Action Required" pop-up screen to be very buggy IF there were multiple files displayed as unresolved security risks.  After taking action on the first file, attempts to take actions on the subsequent files usually behaved strangely, or failed to take action, or locked up the associated action button.  The "Apply All" button also failed to work properly.  But if you closed the window and waited until the next time the screen popped up (missing the one item you had successfully removed), you could once again operate successfully on the first item in the list.  We think this is because when your first action removes an item from the unresolved security risks in the History Log, the "Action Required" pop-up screen does not refresh itself, so it was still displaying the item you'd resolved.  After that, it was essentially out-of-sync with what was in the History Log, and that seemed to cause problems with our attempts to take additional actions. 

To get around this, we went to Norton 360/NS Main Screen -> Security -> History, and in the "Show" filter field with the pull-down list, we chose "Unresolved Security Risks".  Then for each file, listed, you could select it with a click, then click on "Options", and then (in our case) your only choice was to click on a huge button that recommended that you "delete" the file.  This placed the file into quarantine, which then could be immediately restored.  (We scanned each file after we restored it, and of course there were no problems found because all of ours were false positives.)  This quarantine/restore strategy removed the file from the "Unresolved Security Risks" in the History Log, BUT in this case, the "History" screen automatically refreshed itself after each action so that the quarantined/restored item was no longer displayed as an unresolved security risk.  Using this strategy, we then worked our way through all of the files listed.

For false-positive "Heuristic Virus" files that were automatically "Deleted" (quarantined) by the full scan:

We found all these items in Quarantine via Norton 360/NS Main Screen -> Security -> History, and in the "Show" filter field with the pull-down list, choose "Quarantine".  From there, we were able to restore all but one of them.  The file that failed to restore (it was asking for a directory to restore it into... shouldn't it have known that already?) was a .zip file that we didn't care about any more, so we just skipped it.

Once we performed all these actions, everything seemed to quiet down and we no longer got any pop-up "Action Required" screens.

NOTE:  We did have one new item Quarantined on a manually-run full scan on June 30.  The file was classified as a "Misleading Application", but it's a .dll file associated with the video driver that's been released for over 5 years and has thousands of users, so we think this is also a false positive.  However, when we restored it and re-scanned it, we got the same result (quarantine), so for now we're just going to submit it to Symantec and wait a while... or maybe we should just take a couple of re-boots and rescan it in the morning?

It's taken a week to learn the new GUI, figure this all out, and get our systems back to where we started.  To say the least, we are dreading the next set of scheduled full-scans at 3:00 am Sunday morning!!!

Kudos0

Hello

User Drc came up with this idea about the heuristic viruses issue. In Settings>Antivirus> Scans and Risks> turn off the heuristic scanning. That should prevent any heuristic viruses from being found. This would be only used until Norton came up with a fix for this issue.

Kudos0

ME TOO

Same exact problem as TC.  Haven't had a scan find anything other than tracking cookies in months, today it randomly kicked back 60+ "heuristic viruses," 7 of which couldn't be solved automatically.  When I went through and actually investigated almost all of them were random Steam components but at least one was a Windows .msi file.  That freaked me out so I went through and started restoring everything manually but it seemed not to be putting them back in the right folders (most of which I didn't even know) so I tried a System Restore to see if it would correct the problem.

MISTAKE

So not only am I pretty sure my files are still gone, but now as people have been describing in this topic my Norton install is all buggered up and I'm working on correcting that.

It'd be really nice if we could make it so the antivirus program doesn't brick half the programs on the computer by deleting random files.

Kudos0

Hello All

Please see this Announcement as a workaround for this problem.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/false-positive-detection-suspiciouscloudx-after-norton-product-update

Kudos0

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. we've made some backend changes to minimize the erroneous detections of a file or application for "Suspicious.Cloud.9" threat detections. So you should not be seeing as many files being quarantined for "Suspicious.Cloud.9" detections. If you still see "Suspicious.Cloud.9" or any other "Suspicious.Cloud.x" can you please report with the threat name and for which file it is being reported? 

Thanks,
Sunil G A
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Sunil G A -

Thanks for your updates.

Several of us in this thread had the experience that if you had rebooted your PC after the v22 update, but before the first scheduled FULL scan, Norton 360 didn't "find" any heuristic viruses during that scan, but the PC's that hadn't been rebooted were at risk for Norton 360 indentifying dozens, and perhaps hundreds of heuristic viruses, and quarantining some portion of them.

It took us about a week to learn the new GUI and get this all sorted out on our systems that hadn't been rebooted.

NOTE!  After that episode, we saw a Norton 360 patch getting installed to v 22, but it didn't require a full Restart.  Shortly after that, one of our PC's started reporting "Intrusion Preventions" with increasing frequency, referencing Trojan.Zbot Activity 15.  Early last Thursday morning I noticed that they had gotten up to about 1 per hour, so I shut the system down because we had to go to some doctor appointments.  When I got back, I started up the machine and contacted someone at bleepingcomputer.com (per the advice on a different forum topic).  But here's the interesting part:  after the reboot, we NEVER got any more logs for "Intrusion Preventions", and even though we ran all the diagnostics requested by the consultant at bleepingcomputer.com, she could find NO evidence of a Trojan in any of the logs from the diagnostic programs we ran for her. 

We are theorizing that these events were also false positives, and that simply doing the reboot after the patch "fixed" the problem.

Needless to say, anytime we now see Norton 360 v22 installing a patch but not requiring a full reboot, we're going to do one ourselves!!

Kudos0

So suspicious Cloud L is not a problem? Just to confirm. Reported on log with action pending.

Kudos0

Hi Rob -

In our case, they were false positives, which were never detected again after our reboot.  But even the false positives from that first full scan caused us many problems, because Norton had "deleted" about half of those files (actually, moved them elsewhere and quarantined).  The other half were in the history log as "Action Required" and causing a popup window to appear from time to time.  We had to try to restore all the items that were quarantined, and then figure out a way to remove the "Action Required" items from the history log.  See my long posting about how we did this earlier in this topic/thread.

Kudos0

They were false positives in my case as well.  I made my own life much harder in getting everything restored from quarantine, but once I did that, fully rebooted computer and did the fix floplot posted, a second full scan found zero problems and was no longer angry at any of the files it had flagged before.  

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

We released an update - 22.5.2.15 - that should resolve these False Positive issues for you. Please try the above steps to get the latest definitions and update you to the latest version, and let us know if you still see this problem. Thanks.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.