• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 3.8+ won't open

I'm a 20 year Norton user with very few problems over the years.  This problem is with our second, rarely used computer.  It is an old XP SP 3.  It was updated with Windows and Norton updates in December, then put in storage till July because of travels.  In July I got it out and gave it to a technician to add RAM since it only had 512mb and was slow.  He still had it when I renewed our Norton subscription later in July. 

I recently got it back (with no increase in RAM, so it is low-running) and when i started it up, it acted funny, wanting to delete shortcuts on the desktop that I simply clicked on and sometimes scrambling text I typed.  I concluded it had gotten a virus or something so I went online and put in the new Norton 360 product key and activated it.  I tried doing LiveUpdates, since the virus definitions were 260 days old but they wouldn't ever finish, the connection here in Africa being very slow.  Norton Help suggested I upgrade to 5.0, a great idea which I might do in the early morning when the connection is fast enough for 170Mb.

I turned off System Restore to save space on the hard drive (I had tried recoveries a couple of times years ago and they didn't work so I thought this was ok to do) and restarted the computer.  Now the N360 (still on version 3.8) won't start up when I click on it.  So, what should I do?  Try to do a scan in Safe Mode?  Remove N360 and reinstall 5.0?  Run NPE?    Thanks in advance!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 3.8+ won't open

I'm a 20 year Norton user with very few problems over the years.  This problem is with our second, rarely used computer.  It is an old XP SP 3.  It was updated with Windows and Norton updates in December, then put in storage till July because of travels.  In July I got it out and gave it to a technician to add RAM since it only had 512mb and was slow.  He still had it when I renewed our Norton subscription later in July. 

I recently got it back (with no increase in RAM, so it is low-running) and when i started it up, it acted funny, wanting to delete shortcuts on the desktop that I simply clicked on and sometimes scrambling text I typed.  I concluded it had gotten a virus or something so I went online and put in the new Norton 360 product key and activated it.  I tried doing LiveUpdates, since the virus definitions were 260 days old but they wouldn't ever finish, the connection here in Africa being very slow.  Norton Help suggested I upgrade to 5.0, a great idea which I might do in the early morning when the connection is fast enough for 170Mb.

I turned off System Restore to save space on the hard drive (I had tried recoveries a couple of times years ago and they didn't work so I thought this was ok to do) and restarted the computer.  Now the N360 (still on version 3.8) won't start up when I click on it.  So, what should I do?  Try to do a scan in Safe Mode?  Remove N360 and reinstall 5.0?  Run NPE?    Thanks in advance!

Kudos0

Hi 20yearuser,

Welcome to norton community,

You have an option to upgrade until you have valid subscription. Before removing N360 If you use identity safe take backup of idsafe data,

Download Norton removal Tool from www.norton.com/nrt 

After removing install N360 from www.norton.com/n360s 5 and activate the product with same key.

Please let me if this is solved your problem

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

That was a very quick response. I'll work on it and get back to you, probably tomorrow.  Thank you.

Kudos0

Hi 20yearuser,

You are most welcome,

Please let me know your result tomorrow 

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Hello.  I rebooted the machine and N360 was working.  I did a full scan with the old definitions, found nothing.  Scanned for malware with mbam.exe and found a Hax.door virus and removed it.  Then I did a LiveUpdateseveral times but it didn't finish. Norton Help suggested I simply download N360 version 5 and update, but the download manager stopped and said I must download manually.  So I did as you suggested and removed N360 with the Norton removal Tool. 

After it was removed and I rebooted, I tried the link you suppiled and it is invalid.  How do I now get N360 version 5 to download?  The computer is now without anti-virus protection.

Kudos1 Stats

Try the link www.norton.com/n360s_5 . That should work fine.

Let me know the results..Cheers !

Kudos0

When I follow the link you suggest, it shows a invalid.  I went through the support website again and was able to get the download manager going again using  https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/1.6/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080514162318EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&pvid=f-n360-cur&version=current&product=Norton+360&lg=english&ct=united+states&entsrc=redirect_pubweb&ispid=&partner=

So it is running now at about 2Mb per minute.  We'll see. 

Kudos1 Stats

Hi,

As I mentioned above use the link http://www.norton.com/n360s_5  (previously hyperlink missed for 5) after running Norton Removal tool.

After installing N360 V5, Run live update repeatedly (restart if it asks )until it shows  "your system has latest updates"

Hope this help and let me know your result?

Thanks,

Senthil

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

The download finished and the program installed.  It seems to be running correctly.  Thank you for your help.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.