• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 8.5.3 STILL DOES NOT WORK With MacOS Catalina

I reported this issue back on October 16, and Norton closed the thread although there was never a solution provided.  I just tried reinstalling the latest version of Norton 360 (v 8.5.3) my 2019 MacBook Pro, and the problem reported more than three months ago continues to exist. To recap:

Norton 360 is causing my 2019 MacBook Pro to reboot on startup.  When I start the computer, the progress bar hangs at about 60% and slowly creeps to about 90% over the next two minutes, at which point the computer restarts.  Typically, on the second restart, the computer eventually starts.  However, it then takes about a minute or more for Norton 360 to start, during which time I cannot do much of anything.  In total, I have spent several hours on the phone with Norton Support, escalating each instance, and no working remedy has been found.

I am once again removing Norton from my MacBook Pro, and, unless I have firm assurances that it will work going forward, will not renew my 10-device Norton subscription after 10+ years of being a regular customer.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 8.5.3 STILL DOES NOT WORK With MacOS Catalina

Dittos here I have been Norton User since the mid nineties ( Norton Utilities Days when it meant something to use it).  I had to uninstall it so as to stop Kernel Panics and program crashes.  But have you used EtreCheck from the App Store there is a free version.  Read it and see what it says about your Kernel Panic.  Tried to contact Support and level 1 just did not understand a Mac and was sent to level 2 and there was no help coming finally had to drop off chat after waiting for almost 2 hours and they did not answer!!!!!

Kudos0

All: I personally have forwarded thread links to Norton hoping some action/feedback would occur. Or acknowledgement that the updates being released are mitigating the issues being presented. The last release notes doesn't do that of course. Kernel panic issues first began with Mojave, Apple doesn't seem to care that 3rd party drivers are causing their OS to functionally stop performing, 3rd party vendors don't as well. BOTH need to get this rectified, both are on the hook for it.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.657 / N360 Deluxe 22.20.1.69/ Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Kudos0

I appreciate the reply but that still does not excuse the fact they put me into a 2 hour wait and there was still the level 2 tech support that did not answer the chat

Kudos0

I have been a long term Norton user and last November 'upgraded' to Norton360.

What a DISASTER.

This software is not fit for purpose.
Lost count of how many hours and hours and hours waiting waiting waiting for level2 (Mac) support.
Despite multiple assurances from them that "this is the fix to the problems', it is not.

The last 'attempt', less than a week ago seemed promising as it didn't fail in the usual 2 days, but lasted 4-5 days.
Now VPN does not load at all, often even the button disappears completely from the control panle and today it actually cause my Mac to crash.
It is unbelievable that they keep selling this product - and worse all the Mac magazine reviewers must have been rewarded somehow to give it such high ratings - what product were they REALLY testing???
I checked the reviews before committing and all rated Norton360 highly. That was a lie.

Noone should believe the statements coming from Level2 re this product being 'fixed'. It is not. It's about time that more users get vocal about this garbage version. Some disgruntled Mac users have received 6 months extension to their subscription - I got just 60 days. What a sick joke this is.

Kudos0

All: I do not work for Symantec / Norton and can only do so much toward a resolution. Norton itself has to take the charge and make the changes. Personally, I would remove the Norton product and not use it until such time, a KNOWN functional product has been released, customers are happy with things after all the dust has settled, AND Apple bones up to their issues with 3rd party vendors. Just my dime. Support isn't going to give you much in the way of relief, only reinstalls and tweaks. 

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1909 / build 18363.657 / N360 Deluxe 22.20.1.69/ Norton Core v.288 on Android 2.22 / Opera GX
Kudos0

My VPN started working thru the Icon in the menu bar of my iMac today. Now there is no LifeLock icons on My Norton. Only:

--Device security

--Secure VPN (now works)

--Password manager (do not use. Use Dashlane for past two years.)

One problem fixed? Now another. May try to uninstall and reinstall.

Kudos0

MULTIPLE REINSTALLS DID NOT HELP.  I HAVE THIS PRODUCT INSTALLED ON NEW iMACPRO... SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE FACING.    INSTALLED ON WINDOWS 10.... NO PROBLEM     THIS PRODUCT IS NOT RIGHT FOR MAC.

Kudos0

Thought I'd try the new version of Norton released 1/31/20 with the new version of Catalina, but the result was the same. I have to assume that Norton has no intention of trying to fix this issue.

Kudos0

I have exactly the same issue here! I use the 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro.