• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 and stolen laptop tracking

SO here is the back story.

My wife has an HP laptop and is away from home. In the mean time 360 is up for renewal as old subscription is expiring. Between renewing subscription/expiry of current license and the chance to update the subscription on the laptop. Some thieving little B*astard has stolen the Laptop. Is there any way that the laptop can be traced the next time it is turned on? I am assuming that the embedded 360 will try to look for updated and subscription renewal and automatically contact the Norton servers. Or am I being too hopeful?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 and stolen laptop tracking

Unfortunately, you are being too hopeful.  This question has come up previously and the answer is that Norton security products cannot be used to find the location of a computer through connections to Symantec servers.

Kudos0

Hello Attila1959

You should notify the police and also any important information should  be followed up like bank accounts, passwords. However, most likely your wife will have to do that unless all are  joint accounts, credit cards also.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Also it's a good idea to notify the maker of the laptop -- eg Toshiba, HP etc -- since some of them will flag the theft in the warranty database of the product and this will show up if the thief, or someone subsequently, contacts them about service. 

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.