• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 and Windows Defender after W10 upgrade

Sorry to raise this issue again - I know it has been covered in many other posts - so many that I am now confused as to what to do. Since the latest upgrade of Windows 10, my desktop pc and laptop always give a sidebar notification of network firewall problems on startup. I am asked to select a firewall program to run and I always select Norton 360 as I understand that it controls what it requires of Defender. This user confirmation step of which program to run never used to happen and is getting a bit tiresome.

Viewing the firewall options I see:

So Defender seems to running and wants to scan. But Norton 360 tells me that Smart Firewall is on:

I probably don't need both firewall protections running, and my laptop seems to be feeling this from the performance viewpoint.

Can you point me at a straightforward set of steps to alleviate this, if possible without changing service statuses and re-installing N360, etc.?

many thanks,

David

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton 360 and Windows Defender after W10 upgrade

If you have the Win 10 Anniversary update, it added a feature where Defender will periodically scan your system, even if you have a third party AV installed.

You can check this, and disable it by going to Windows Settings - Update and Security - Windows Defender. Look for the setting for Limited Periodic Scanning. Turn that off and see if you still see the notifications.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Thank you for replying Peter. It set me looking in the right places. I could not find the 'periodic scan' switch in Windows Settings even though I did seem to be at Windows 10 version 1607. So I checked the Windows Updates in Settings and discovered that 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954)' had been regularly failing since 11/4/2016 on this machine. I cleared everything running on the machine and tried to install this update. It failed the first time, but after 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)' installed itself OK, the cumulative install worked. I do not know what was preventing the update in the first place.

Now, I have a more understandable setup, with Windows Defender showing as Off and Realtime Protection showing as 'Handled by another AV program'. Windows Defender Settings show Periodic Scan as Off and Security and Maintenance in Control Panel showing 'Norton 360 is currently turned on'.

So, put this down to a localised upgrade problem, but again, thanks for your time.

Kudos0

Glad to hear you figured it out. There are often issues with Win 10 updates failing. At least you were able to get by that.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.