• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 backup no longer to network drive?!

So, I just got off of chat with tech support because my 360 backup has not worked for the last few months.  The tech informed me that due to updates you can no longer backup to mapped network drives.  Is this true?  I just can't believe that, so I am looking for confirmation here.  I tried deleting my backup set and creating a new one, but that did not help.  Tell me it's not true :(

Labels: Backup

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 backup no longer to network drive?!

I just set up and tested a backup to a mapped network drive and it worked fine. I am using Norton Security Premium v 22.5.5.15 on Win 10 Pro.

What version of 360 are you using? Click on Support/Help - About.

What is your operating system?

Maybe try remapping your network drive.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I am at work now and can not check the version.  22. something I believe???  It's the latest version as I just checked for new versions and updates.

Operating system was Windows 7 64 bit.  Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit and it made no difference.

I have unmapped the drive and remapped it to a different drive letter.  I have deleted and rebuilt the backup set.  I have confirmed I can write a file to the mapped drive under Windows although I cannot copy it directly into the Norton 360 backup folder.  I figured that was a permissions thing. 

If I take the external hard drive and remove it from the networked PC and connect it directly to my laptop, it will back up fine.

Thanks for your help!

Kudos0

An extra piece of info there. It is an external drive on a network computer you are trying to use for the backup.

Although I just checked my Norton History and see that my backups are also failing to my network drive. It seems the original backup I made as I created the backup set did work, but any subsequent attempts fail. I'll bring this to the attention of Norton and see if I can get some answers.

Kudos0

Can  you leave the external drive connected directly to your PC and see if subsequent backups are successful? I found that my subsequent backups failed.

I have been informed that the support tech you reached may have confused backing up TO external drive with backing up FROM external drive. The FROM is not supported. See this Norton KB article.

Kudos0

Just tried it again.  If I hook the drive directly to my laptop, it backs up just fine to the same backup set (files) that it always uses.  I then connect the drive back to a networked computer and try the backup again.  It fails with "There is a backup problem.  Make sure the destination drive or device is connected and try again."  If I open file explorer, I can see the drive (drive X) and can open files and folders and can write files to the device.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Are you using a Windows Admin account while trying this? I just tried with a standard user and an admin user and the backup only succeeded when I used the Admin account.

Kudos0

Yes, I have an admin account on both machines.  And again, this configuration worked for, gosh, 6 or 7 years and then just quit.  Grasping for things to try, I went into Traffic Rules and allowed full access between the two machines, but that didn't help either :(

Kudos0

Do you use the admin accounts on a daily basis, or are you using standard accounts for your day to day work?

In my case, I use standard accounts daily, as that is a more secure way to use Windows. Unfortunately, at this time, you need to log into an admin account to set up a backup set. After that you are supposed to be able to run the backup from a standard account, but in my case, these backup runs fail to my network drive.

Did you try logging into your admin account and trying to run the backup to see if it completes?

Kudos0

Admin accounts all of the time.  I'm also a PC tech by trade which makes it all the more frustrating :(

Kudos0

I found my problem. I had mapped the network drive while in my Admin account, so I could set up the backup set. When I switched to the standard account, I did not realize the drive mappings did not carry over to the other accounts on the computer. So when I ran the backup from the standard account, the drive was not there, so could not be found by the backup.

This probably does not apply to your situation.

I was asked if you can leave the external drive attached to your computer for a couple of days to see if the backups continue to work. Then if they do, then put it back and try again.

I have to ask a silly question. Is the network drive always on? No sleep or hibernate?

Kudos0

The drive will go to sleep if not used.  Upon access it wakes back up.  I can manually copy a file to the drive, immediately start a backup, and it will fail.  So, the drive sleeping is not the problem.  And, again, it has worked for many years with the same drive and the same networked computer with no problems.

I guess what I will try to do is completely uninstall 360 and the reinstall it.  It is not really feasible to connect the external drive directly for any length of time.  The laptop is put to sleep at the end of every day and I do not want to deal with a cord hanging from the laptop for several days while I use it.  I can tell you that every time I connect the drive directly to the laptop, it will back up without any problem,  I have done that 5 or so times now as it is the only way I can get a backup.

Kudos0

Before you reinstall 360, is there a way to stop the drive from sleeping? You could try this as a diagnostic step. I realize you say you can access the drive manually. But maybe there is something in the way Norton calls the drive that may be affected by a sleeping drive. This could have been added in a recent update to 360. I am not a programmer so I am just spit balling here.

Kudos0

Uninstalling, deleting all norton folders under program files and program data and then reinstalling did no good.  It tried to create a new backup folder ({BB01EFC5-A258-4532-8C85-D2D27F42FB71}), created the folder, and then was unable to copy anything to it.  Argh...

Kudos0

So now the backup is not working at all?

Looking back I see you are now on Win10. Have you disabled the Fast Startup feature. 

If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Kudos0

The problem started under Windows 7 which I have used since it was released.  I upgraded to Windows 10 just this week hoping it would help, but it did not.  I do kinda like Windows 10 though and will likely stick with it.

Kudos0

Got it.  For some reason, and it likely needs to be looked into, the folder it creates and tries to backup into does not have proper permissions.  If I manually change the permissions on the folder to Full Access for Everyone, it backs up fine.

Kudos0

Good find. Were you using different user accounts between setting up the backup set and when using the backup?. Just trying to gather more info for Norton.

Kudos0

No.  I literally have been using 360 backup for more than 5 years.  The computers didn't change, the drive didn't change, users didn't change, it just quit working one day about 2 months ago.

Kudos0

How did you reinstall 360? Did you just uninstall from Windows Control Panel, or did you use the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool? If you did not already, I would suggest trying the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool from   www.norton.com/nrnr

Be sure you read the Before you Begin section. Also be sure you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Also check Device manager on both computers to see if there are any devices flagged with exclamation marks. Sometimes driver issues can cause these kinds of problems.

BTW. Norton is watching this thread.

Kudos0

Uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs.  I then manually deleted all of the Norton folders in Program Files and Program Data. 

I did do all of the updates it had before trying to do another backup after reinstalling.

From my experience, this seems to be entirely a permissions thing.  The odd thing is, even after the reinstall, it created a new sub-folder to put the backup into, but then was unable to put any files into it.

Kudos0

You did not mention any registry entries being removed. If you could, try the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool, that would clear some registry entries also. 

Anything found in Device Manager on both computers?

If the change was about 2 months ago, it could have been some update to either Norton or Windows that may have messed things up. What OS is on the network drive?

Kudos0

Windows 7 64 bit on the PC that has the drive attached. 

I did not check device manager since the problem started, but as of now they both show all drivers installed.

I did not remove registry entries when I did the uninstall.  Only files and folders.  Mine is working now and I don't want to touch it :)

Kudos0

OK. I understand.

If you do come across a need to reinstall in the future, maybe you can keep this thread in mind, and we can see if you get the same problem cropping up when you reinstall.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.