• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 Backup shows errors if no files have changed.

Most of my data is stored in the cloud so the laptop I am testing Windows 10 on may not have new files on it when it is time for a scheduled backup. Norton Backup refuses to acknowledge a backup has been completed if there are not new files to backup. The backup processes normally and the online backup shows it completed. However, all backups to the external drive show errors with details of 0 files backed up. Files are found on the progress bar but since nothing is changed backup is not required. I receive an error of no files backed up and the app refuses to acknowledge I ran a backup. I am ignoring it but wondered if this is a Windows 10 issue.

Labels: Backup

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Backup shows errors if no files have changed.

Hi wsalmonsen.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

Does the backup log show any file errors?  It may have found a file it does not like which could give an error and not back it up....

Or it may be a Windows 10 thing....

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Kudos0

I have been running Windows 10 on this laptop for about 7 weeks. Backup has run several times and completed successfully after reinstalling Norton 360 after the upgrade. I did clone the C: drive to a SSD a few weeks ago and think that backup has run since the transfer. I might try deleting the backup sets and recreating them. Perhaps changing the name of the source drive is causing the error even though files are found and a .dat file created.

When I run the backup set the Default set that backs up to the cloud runs fine. The other sets (music, documents and pictures) that use an external drive do not complete. Files are found (2798 for documents), the progress bar eventually shows 100% are copied, the .../backup/discID.dat file creation message appears showing an all files backed up message. (Strangely the file creation date on the .dat file on the backup drive is three weeks old so apparently it has not been updated - there's 789 GB of free space.) Then a red X appears and the details link shows "Some files not backed up, Please make sure that all other running programs are closed and try again. New files backed up 0. As far as I know nothing is running. I start Windows 10 and then start the backup. I have not tried to determine what might be running in the background that could cause this message (or nothing).

Kudos0

Hello again wsalmonsen.

Thanks for that response.

If you manually run the backup that goes to the local disk drive (and reports an error), when it completes it should be possible to look at a log of what happened. Does that show it trying to backup any files and failing?

There are some files that Norton does not like, sometimes these can get included in the list of files to be backed up.  If this happens then Norton will not back them up and will report an error.  That is why I am asking you to look at the log and let us know if any such files were found.

Mike
Kudos0

Thanks for the quick reply. I had already looked for log files but was not been able to locate any for the Norton 360 Backup program. If you know where I should have looked please let me know. I searched and reviewed *.log file names and looked in the Norton directories (Program and Data) but found nothing that was helpful. The backup dialog boxes do not have links to any log or history files. I already included the messages displayed in the View Details link. Perhaps this message would have shown the errors you described.

I did solve the problem which I assume may have been caused by cloning the hard drive to a SSD and changing the name of the drive. I edited each Backup entry in the Manage Backup Sets dialog box (changing the What, Where, When entries adding and deleting a file to the What files detail) and saved each backup entry again. The backup completed successfully.

Thanks again for your help. It is good to know we are not alone when things don't work right,

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.