• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 - Boot Recovery Tool

Hey out there......

I've very recently began to test drive Norton 360 for a month.  I have a question that I wasn't able to answer on my own or through the FAQ's.  I'm currently running Win XP SP3 - having just installed Norton's Bootable Recovery Tool I've found it mostly straight forward and user friendly to navigate through, save for my attempts to figure out how to  go about installing the Norton back-up files that are contained within the tool itself.  (I should mention that I'm not referring to files that one of the two automated tools may or may not remove during their system scan.)  Assuming that I have somehow locked myself out of Windows due to poor choices that were made during a recent Group Policy Object edit.....just assuming now, how could I go about reinstalling some or all of these Norton back-up files considering that my resources are greatly limited.  Like Dos limited.

I'd appreciate anyone and/or everyone's help with this matter if you're able to assist!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 - Boot Recovery Tool

1001fingers wrote:

Hey out there......

I've very recently began to test drive Norton 360 for a month.  I have a question that I wasn't able to answer on my own or through the FAQ's.  I'm currently running Win XP SP3 - having just installed Norton's Bootable Recovery Tool I've found it mostly straight forward and user friendly to navigate through, save for my attempts to figure out how to  go about installing the Norton back-up files that are contained within the tool itself.  (I should mention that I'm not referring to files that one of the two automated tools may or may not remove during their system scan.)  Assuming that I have somehow locked myself out of Windows due to poor choices that were made during a recent Group Policy Object edit.....just assuming now, how could I go about reinstalling some or all of these Norton back-up files considering that my resources are greatly limited.  Like Dos limited.

I'd appreciate anyone and/or everyone's help with this matter if you're able to assist!

Welcome,
The Bootable Recovery Tool is designed to burn a CD that you can load and then boot from it as a means of getting back into your system to try to undo problems that are preventing you from booting normally.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Hi Dick,

I find that interesting as that's exactly what the Norton website stated right before I downloaded this software.  What good are all

of the so-called "Backup" files ,that are aplenty, if they can't be installed through the NBRT?

Kudos0

1001fingers wrote:

Hi Dick,

I find that interesting as that's exactly what the Norton website stated right before I downloaded this software.  What good are all

of the so-called "Backup" files ,that are aplenty, if they can't be installed through the NBRT?

Hi,

The recovery tool should give you access to what you need to get your system back to bootable order. With the excption of a disk image file most backups are important data which expects an operational system when they are recovered.

When I need to image a drive I use the Symantec Recovery Disk which uses Ghost to recover files, folders,. and drives.

If you just want to recover backup files, folders or drives/partitions with an operational system 360 works well. The NBRT is that tool you reach for when you click the power switch and see only a blue or a black screen. So don't try to install the .ISO file on your hard drive. Burn the CD, keep it close and hope that you never need it. Put a date on the CD and burn a new one every three months - just in case.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.